The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2001, 07:57 PM   #1
Incursion

Temperature Sensitivity of Meprolight Night Sights

Since I rinse my gun under water after cleaning it in a Mpro 7 bath, I put my gun in the oven to dry it. I usually set the oven for 300 F and leave the gun in there for about 20 minutes. I have been told that this could break the sealant on my Meprolight tritium vials and cause my sights to have a shorter lifespan. Does anyone known how much heat the sealant can withstand?
Old November 24, 2001, 09:42 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Don't know, but its bound to be hard on the gun's sights.

You're the first I've ever heard of who dries his gun in an oven.

I'd be willing to bet a hair-dryer would work just as well, and a lot more quickly (and cheaply.)

You could also use carb/brake cleaner, and then lube very lightly? (You've already got the grips off, anyway.) A lot less likely to cause long-term problems, and just as likely to get rid of moisture or water.
Old November 24, 2001, 10:45 PM   #3
9x45

I hope this is not a carry gun! Rinse it in water, for no reason, and then, leave it at 300 *F, for no reason. Where in hell did you get this method from??? From the manual that came with the weapon... What? this MP7pro whatever solvent doesn't go away until it reaches 300*F? This is, without a doubt, the most bizare gun cleaning system I have ever heard of in over 35 years of shooting.
Old November 24, 2001, 10:51 PM   #4
Incursion

I'm starting to realize that this probably isn't the most prudent method. I don't trust a blow dryer to complete dry off the water because the gun is a P7M8 (yes, this will be my carry gun). There is a tiny hole in the barrel that bleeds the gas into the tube below it. I'm going to start using ethanol to dry it. A lot of the guys over at SIG forum stick their guns in the oven, but they do it to bake on militec-1, a lubricant. I just do it to dry the gun.

If I immerse the gun in ethanol after I rinse off the Mpro7 with water, will that dry up all of the water? Can I just substitute a bottle of Everclear for the ethanol?
Old November 25, 2001, 08:34 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Incursion, get a gallon of Water Displacing Oil from Brownells. This is the same oil used by smiths after the last rinsing in hot bluing. After the parts are rinsed they are suspended in the oil. I usually leave them in the oil until the next morning. Take them out, wipe them off and assemble. The oil replaces every molecule of water with a molecule of oil. The oven bit will loosen the glue that holds the inserts in place. George
Old November 25, 2001, 10:48 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Must be spectacular in a microwave.

Sam
Old November 25, 2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Incursion

George, does it take all night for the oil to displace the water?
Old November 26, 2001, 04:57 PM   #8
Cheapo

200 Farenheit should do just fine, and just might be within the tolerances of all parts of the firearm. Maybe even 160.

I'm just not sold on the water rinse.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:30 PM   #9
Incursion

Since Mpro 7 is waterbased, there won't be any need to rinsing it with water anymore. I'll just use some ethanol or water displacing oil.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:52 PM   #10
Keith J

Why??

All tritium sights are sealed glass ampules. The Tritium gas is in a tube that is melted shut on both ends.

Pressure rise from a 300 F oven shouldn't cause a problem as I'm sure the glass was much hotter than that after it was sealed but it could have been compensated.

The general practice of rinsing the cleaning solvent isn't recommended due to hard water stains and the like. Just wipe off all you can get to and put a protecting coat of a good oil on the stuff you cannot.

If you must dunk, denatured ethanol sounds perfect. Make sure to apply a good coat of oil as the metal will be dry.
Old November 26, 2001, 10:59 PM   #11
Incursion

Will a bottle of EverClear suffice?
Old November 27, 2001, 12:22 PM   #12
Keith J

Yes, but why? Go down to your local home improvment store and buy a gallon of denatured EtOH. Much cheaper as you are not paying tax to the IRS.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:04 PM   #13
Incursion

Thanks for the advice Keith.