The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
verti89

plated vs jacketed

what is the difference? is load data for a Jacketed HP good for a Plated Hp and vice versa??
Old July 1, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
DaveTrig

According to Berry's:

Quote:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
verti89

thanks
Old July 1, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Sevens

And be sure to be CAREFUL with crimping on plated rounds. More trouble when loading in a roll crimped revolver round, but crimping can cut through the VERY thin electroplating and the bullet comes apart before it gets anywhere.
Old July 1, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
verti89

k well i asked because im looking at some .40 bullet options so those wouldnt be roll crimped for sure but that is good to know. thanks
Old July 1, 2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Sevens

It's been my experience that plated bullets in .40 cal can't really hang with Precision Delta's prices for jacketed .40.

Caveat: I have never used Precision Delta bullets nor ordered from them. A buddy of mine has, others in this forum have. I've been using Nosler's 250 packs of 150gr JHP for reloads in 10mm.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/products_new.htm
Old July 1, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I was in disagreement with you Sevens...until I saw Berry's listing price. You're right. PD's showed $98/1000. Berry's was $110.56. Question is, is Precision Delta a good bullet? Guess we'll have to have others to chime in on this issue...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 1, 2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Shoney

Most of the, if not all of the lead/plated HP's and some of the jacketed HP's are designed for pistol target shooting. By having a hollow interior the lead/plated bullet has a larger area being engraved by the barrel, and are supposed to be more accurate.

Target HP bullets will not expand in the same manner as jacketed HP's designed for hunting and/or PD.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 1, 2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I should clarify my question of a good bullet. I'd say one that's good for plinking, weight variations are within reason, ogive and overall shape is concentric for safe/practical reloading, etc...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 1, 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Sevens

What a plated bullet is for me: A bullet I can use on an indoor range.

I tend to load and use cast lead for most of my shooting. Many/most Indoor ranges don't allow them as they make the ventilation and filtration system work much harder to clean the air. Plated bullets allow me to have ammo on hand when the opportunity presents itself to shoot indoors... mostly in the winter months around here when shooting outside isn't practical.

The only time I will typically shoot plated bullets outdoor is during load development. Once I have a good, solid, tested plated bullet load, I don't shoot them until I'm on an indoor range.

As to Precision Delta's quality? I really don't know. They do offer free shipping (as does Berry's) as long as you order at least 2,000 bullets.
Old July 1, 2009, 09:45 PM   #11
DaveTrig

precision delta

Wow - just looked at PD's prices. Guess I'll be buying from them next time. I just got a couple thousand plated from Berry's because they were so much cheaper than any other FMJ I could find, and I can't stand all the smoke from lead bullets, as I do almost all my shooting indoors.

Now here's PD coming in at a full cent cheaper per bullet. If someone has first hand experience with PD's stuff, I'd appreciate a review.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:08 PM   #12
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle8
I was in disagreement with you Sevens...until I saw Berry's listing price. You're right. PD's showed $98/1000. Berry's was $110.56. Question is, is Precision Delta a good bullet? Guess we'll have to have others to chime in on this issue...
Yup, Precision Delta makes a good bullet. I've used their 124gr 9mm and their 165gr 10mm/40S&W bullets. Well worth the money.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Mac1045
Registration in progress

No heavy crimp on plated bullets

I have been a commercial reloader for over 30yrs. I never ever use plated bullets. In a cartridge for use in semi autos especially. Plated bullets cant take a heavy (tight) crimp. When the bullet hits the feed ramp it may seat deeper in the case. suddenly you have a 45 charge in a 380 space. Bad things happen then, pressures go way up, case ruptures, hot gasses set off rounds in magazine. At the very least you will damage your weapon, at worst you will lose some fingers.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 2, 2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Removal of hijack content
Old July 2, 2009, 08:18 PM   #14
Mac1045
Registration in progress

What??????????????

What is hijack content?