The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Primered

For Glock 9mm Reloaders

I've reloaded 9mm for years with jacketed bullets for a 9mm 1911 STI and have used brass over and over without incident. Now, I've got my eye on a Glock 34 and have run into all the controversy of reloading for Glocks. I won't have a gun I cannot reload for but I'm not up for a KB either. I have a friend who says that his procedure for Glock reloading is to use jacketed bullets and slow powder. He keeps Glock brass separate from his other 9mm guns' brass and pitches if it even looks slightly suspect. Does this sound like a good plan for reloading Glock 9mm or should I look harder at the Springfield XDs?

Pete
Old September 15, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
rwilson452

If you haven't tried A glock yet I suggest you do. you might find the XD more to your likeing, as it will have a feel more like your STI. Loading to moderate levels in a Glock should not pose a problem. As the Glock doesn't support the cartridge as well as a 1911 you will need to keep a closer eye on your brass both before and after sizing. While looking at Glocks be sure to fondle both a generation 2 and a generation 3 they have a different feel.

I've reloaded 9mm for years with jacketed bullets for a 9mm 1911 STI and have used brass over and over without incident. Now, I've got my eye on a Glock 34 and have run into all the controversy of reloading for Glocks. I won't have a gun I cannot reload for but I'm not up for a KB either. I have a friend who says that his procedure for Glock reloading is to use jacketed bullets and slow powder. He keeps Glock brass separate from his other 9mm guns' brass and pitches if it even looks slightly suspect. Does this sound like a good plan for reloading Glock 9mm or should I look harder at the Springfield XDs?
Old September 15, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Arub

I've reloaded 9mm for a G26 for years without a hitch. Load 115 FMJs and JHPs at 100% of powder manufacturers load data. No problems here.
Old September 15, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Primered

Rwilson:

"While looking at Glocks be sure to fondle both a generation 2 and a generation 3 they have a different feel."

What are the differences? I have not seen those terms in looking at various sites on the Internet and at the local shop.
Old September 15, 2007, 12:08 PM   #5
rwilson452

The Gen 3 Glock has finger grooves on the grip
Old September 15, 2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Linear Thinker

Pete,

I've reloaded for my G19 for many years, without any issues.
I use only jacketed and plated bullets in my reloads, but have shot lead bullets through the Glock as well - never saw any lead accumulation in the bore. If anything else, the polygonal Glock rifling accumulates the crud less than the land-and-groove rifling in my BHP and STI.

There is a lot of Internet info out there, Don Speir keeps a whole site seemingly dedicated to Glock KBs.

I've been a range officer at a public range for many years, and witnessed revolvers blowing uo, and had a 1911 do a speed-disassembly in my hand due to a double-charge.
Never saw a Glock do the KB. Did see a Glock mag flying apart after hitting the concrete floor, but that's a thread for another day.

My take on the Glock KB issue is:

Glock is an exremely popular gun, they own the police market, and a huge chunk of the civilian market as well. Like all guns, Glocks can fail, and due to their popularity, a large portion of failed guns will be Glocks.

Like all Internet advise, take mine with a grain of salt.
YMMV, as they say.
LT
Old September 16, 2007, 07:03 AM   #7
JDG

My G19 shoots 115s the best, I only load jacketed bullets for all my guns (I hate cleaning up after lead) I've reloaded the same brass so many times, I dont have any idea how many firings are on them. 9mm Glocks, dont have the same issues as the .40, with bellied out brass, just reload and be safe! I would only shoot jacketed out of a stock barrel, however. I use Power Pistol powder, and dont don't use max loads, it just shoots start loads so good, I've seen no need to go higher.
Old September 16, 2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Primered

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not going to let this issue stop me from buying a G34, in fact, I ordered it yesterday. On my STI 9mm, I've used Winchester until it about fell over and died and need to replace it. Since I have to buy some new brass anyhow, would Starline's 9mm +p make sense? It costs very little more than the standard.
Pete
Old September 16, 2007, 09:04 AM   #9
rwilson452

Don't let anyone ever dictate to you what pistol best fits your needs. Everyone is different. If you have made an informed decision that the glock best fits your needs then it likely does. I alway tell people to go find as many pistols as possible and see what passes their "fondle test". Then try to shoot the top contenders. By the end of this process you will know which witch is which.
Old September 17, 2007, 04:53 PM   #10
kellyj00

xd's a very different pistol than the glock. I have owned glocks before, but always end up trading them in quickly because, well...they're not hard to find again and have a decent resale value.

I did buy a xd 9mm 4" barrel from a gunshow recently because I liked the features that it has... a dovetail safety, a chamber loaded indicator and a cocked indicator. In the dark, you can actually tell if there is a round in the chamber and if the gun is cocked by just touching the gun in the right places. I love these three features, that's why I bought the pistol.

Then I got into reloading because ammo's getting so expensive nowadays. I load Lead (unjacketed bullets) exclusively because they are about half the price of their FMJ cousins, or next to nothing if you want to melt your own lead in your garage (haven't gotten that far yet, I just don't shoot enough to make it worthwhile) I load my 9mm for about 6cents each and my 45acp for 7 cents using components I bought from powdervalleyinc.com before they jacked the prices of their cast lead bullets up.

Because reloading ammo is so much cheaper, I'm very very happy I got a springfield XD. It handles anything I put in it, from experimental squib loads to +p's without trouble. I've heard that it's a very risky thing to load cast bullets in polygonally rifled barrels like you'll find on every Glock or H&K pistol, and I follow that logic because it kinda makes since. I ahve a good friend with an H&K 9mm USP that he's going to use in competition, and he uses my reloader for pistol ammo. The cost of my 9mm ammo makes him jealous, and now that I'm saving up to buy a lead furnace and some molds, he's going to be very jealous when I'm shooting 100's of rounds through my XD for the cost each magazine of FMJ he loads up in that H&K.

If you're going to reload, I'd look into conventionally rifled pistols. Their's no real advantage to the polygonal rifling that I've heard of and with the price of ammo being what it is, you can still get 1000 9mm cast bullets for about $40 from powdervalleyinc.com or you can buy lead for about $1 a pound and make 56 125grain 9mm bullets from it.
Old September 19, 2007, 11:00 PM   #11
rocknglock

Shooting lead.

Look into a lewis lead remover. one of the older fella's at the shop I frequent swears by it. He shoots lead through glocks all the time. this remover might be the key saves alot of time in cleaning he tells me.

BTW. difference btweeen 1/2 Gen glock & 3Rd Gen

"The Gen 3 Glock has finger grooves on the grip"

the hogue hand-all can add this and I even have one on my 3rd gen 19C

BUT LEAST YOU NOT FORGET the memory groove. I traded up my 1st gen just for this after I shot and trained with one. My grip is now soooo...much more consistent.
Old September 20, 2007, 04:42 PM   #12
CrustyFN

If you are going to shoot lead in a stock Glock barrel then don't shoot plated or jacketed until the gun is cleaned very good. Most of the problems start by shooting them without cleaning the gun first.
Rusty