The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
ColColt

Cleaning out Copper

I have a bottle of Sweet's 7.62 and a bottle of Wipeout. Which would be the best, in your experience, for cleaning the barrel, specifically copper? I know I could try for myself but was curious if anyone had used either of the products for any length of time.
Old February 6, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2
me26245

Sweets

I've used Sweets 7.62 for all my copper removal. It does a great job.
I use it when I get a used long gun to clean it up before I evaluate it.
If I've been shooting a particular weapon heavily I'll use Sweets afterwards to remove copper fouling before putting the weapon up.
I do a normal cleaning prior to using the Sweets.
Old February 6, 2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Sweet's is generally considered to be the top end in aggressive copper fouling removers.

There might well be others AS effective, but I don't think anything else is MORE effective.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
603Country

Where have you guys been? Get some Boretech Eliminator if you want the copper gone. Sweets can't touch that stuff.
Old February 6, 2014, 11:48 PM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

I'm curious. My go-to gun is an old Browning Lever Rifle in 308. The bore is pretty much plated with copper but it still groups at about 1 to 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards.

As long as accuracy isn't negatively effected, what's the problem?

Also, and even if you get all the copper out, isn't it just going to reappear when you fire it again?
Old February 7, 2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Bezoar

COPPER SUCKS in small bore high velocity high pressure rifles. 243 takes a bit of work. me i use lots of soaking with #9 and patches. takes longer then my 30-30 with same chemicals but it does work.

now i could use sweets but the warnings about it hurting barrel steel makes me say 'if i let #9 sit in the bore half and hour its ok, but not if you go past that 15 minutes with sweets..."
Old February 7, 2014, 07:58 AM   #7
steve4102

I have gone through a lot of Sweets and it did an excellent job.

A few years ago I found Wipe-Out, all I can say is WOW. Foam the barrel being careful not to get it everywhere and leave it sit. Later patch it out and presto, no more copper. I have found nothing as effective as Wipe-out and as easy as Wipe-out.

I still have a bottle of Sweets gathering dust on my shelf. I open it up once in awhile just to take a sniff to remind me how much I hate it and how much I prefer the odor free foaming method.
Old February 9, 2014, 07:52 PM   #8
oldcspsarge

IF you want to remove what you missed in copper fouling

you need to get Witches Brew by Darrel Holland.

www.midwayusa.com to order on-line. Nothing available does a better job !

I use it on 223, 22-250, 308 and 220 Swift. Makes a world of difference in my .17 Remington !
Old February 9, 2014, 08:04 PM   #9
603Country

Foghorn brought up an interesting point. I did find after taking ALL the copper out, accuracy suffered a bit till I laid down a bit more copper. It probably depends on the rifle and quality of the barrel, but I'm now of the opinion that you shouldn't take all the copper out. I'll just use Shooter's Choice till accuracy degrades, then I'll take the copper out.

This is what seems to work for me right now, but I reserve the right to show my feminine side and change my mind.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:02 PM   #10
hoghunting

Quote:
I have gone through a lot of Sweets and it did an excellent job.

A few years ago I found Wipe-Out, all I can say is WOW
That's my response too. Just spray Wipe-Out in the barrel, leave it overnight as it does not contain ammonia, then patch it out the next day. No odor, no scrubbing and no brushes. Can't get any easier than that.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:26 PM   #11
ColColt

I don't know what Wipeout has in it but it smells awfully strong to me-much like ammonia. I have it but the liquid, not the foam.
Old February 11, 2014, 02:22 AM   #12
hoghunting

Quote:
I don't know what Wipeout has in it but it smells awfully strong to me-much like ammonia. I have it but the liquid, not the foam.
The liquid cleaner is Patch-Out and this is part of the description from the website:

Quote:
XI. WIPE-OUT "PATCH-OUT" ™ contains NO ACID and NO AMMONIA.
http://www.sharpshootr.com/patchout.htm