The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1
CCCLVII

Got a Walther P22 on trade. What problems do they typically have?

I was selling an old car that I had for $2000.00 Today a guy offered me $1850.00 and what looked like a nearly new Walther P22. The gun looks to be in great shape. I was only hoping for $1800.00 so I took the offer!

So what problems do the new Walther P22s have? Just want it for a plinker, i may attach a suppressor to it (got an Element 2 on pending status)
Old December 17, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
AKsRul.e

After initial production they changed the magazines for better
feeding. If yours is fairly new it should have come with newer mags.

Only other thing is the P22 runs best with full power .22
(like CCI)
Old December 17, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

I had one for a short time, it was accurate enough for what it was and fairly reliable. Perfectly acceptable for a range toy and backyard can killer. However, in my experience, they don't hold up well. I had to have mine replaced after less than 5k rounds. If I were you, I would have taken the P22 as well.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
chris in va

Don't drop it. My friend did...the front sight disappeared and the plastic takedown slide snapped off.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
idek

Mine had some cycling problems when I loaded the magazines full. Typically, the second cartridge in line wouldn't feed. Referring the the second post in this thread, I don't know if I had the older or new mags. I probably got the gun around 2006.

I eventually traded for a Buckmark. I did like the looks of the little gun, but if I were ever tempted to try one again, I'd probably give the Ruger SR22 a look first.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Coach Z

My p22 which i had for about a year and a half had two mostly minor issues. The first was that the metal sub frame within the polymer housing came loose and caused some feeding issues, easy enough to tighten with a philips screw driver.

Second issue is that the trigger spring can get weak and lead to some light strike issues.

Check out rimfirecentral.com they have an EXTENSIVE library on the subject.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
AndyWest

I've really enjoyed my P22. I shoot mini-mags or the CCI "AR tactical" boxes and have had no malfunctions I can recall in ~1000 rounds. Last time I cleaned it, I did notice peening on the "bump" on the frame rail. Easy to break down and clean.

All that said, I would like an SR22 and will probably get one some day.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
9mm

Quote:
Don't drop it. My friend did...the front sight disappeared
Magicial gun? is it one of those like "clap on lights" when you hit it the light comes on, but in this case the front sight goes on/off? o.O

I traded back my P22 to family member, bought the Taurus 94 with the money. Didn't like my P22, worked best with federal red bulk pack. Though it would have 5-10 failure to load in 50-100 shots. Pot metal slide, not my thing. I was thrilled to get the P22 at first, and was fun to learn on cheap ammo. When I get the 94 I just drooled over it, didn't have to pay $30 a magazine to shoot and saves on my fingers from compressing magazine.

It's still a fun little gun that can be used, if I got one in a trade for something I would just keep it for fun and ignore the bad on it. I wouldn't recommend intentionally buying one new though.

When you start talking about using CCI ammo to shoot so it doesnt have failure to load, then it defeats the point of cheap shooting. $14 a box of 100 CCI or $20 a box of 550 federal bulk pack........

Then again I am just some guy on the internet with my thoughts on it, others will say different. Test it out and see if you like it, if not sell it and buy something else.

Last edited by 9mm; December 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
AndyWest

Quote:
$14 a box of 100 CCI
Alright, maybe at your range, but realistically roughly half that:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301225774

Recent "panic" prices and availability notwithstanding... And sorry to fork the thread.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Inazone

My first handgun was a P22, the "target" version with a longer barrel. I liked the gun, but even with such minimal recoil, it would vibrate itself apart over the course of a few dozen rounds. It was also rather picky about ammo, although to be fair, the worst offender was Golden Bullet.

I replaced it with a Ruger SR22, and while the Ruger doesn't play nice with a couple brands of ammo, it has proven to be the better gun in my experience.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Dashunde

Mine, bought ~2005, was flawless and accurate on Federal bulk 550 boxes and it ate quite a few of those boxes.
Its a perfect plinker as far as I'm concerned.

There have been a few turn up with cracked slides, but that seems to be reserved for the ones with the weight/compensator thing at the muzzle. Not sure how or why.

All-in-all... you scored a fun little freebie.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
dayman

I got one back around 2006 and it ran great. I can't remember what I put through it, but I was in college, so nothing expensive. It wasn't really a target pistol, but it was a great can killer.
Apparently some people have had issues with them, but I never did. It was a ton of fun to shoot, and I'd probably still have it had it not been stolen.
If you have kids, or are likely to shoot with kids it seems like a pretty solid starter pistol - same basic manual of arms as a service pistol, but light, basically no recoil, and .75 scale.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:03 AM   #13
sserdlihc

Quote:
Mine, bought ~2005, was flawless and accurate on Federal bulk 550 boxes and it ate quite a few of those boxes.
Its a perfect plinker as far as I'm concerned
Mine too. It is what I use as a plinker. My daughter also shoots it when we go to the range.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Guilty

I bought a P22 for my daughter several years ago and it has run flawlessly and is a very accurate .22 pistol. The biggest problem is that it keeps running out of ammunition.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15
AndyWest

Mine does that too. One solution I've found is to bring huge boxes of ammunition when I go shooting.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:54 AM   #16
9mm

Quote:
Alright, maybe at your range, but realistically roughly half that:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301225774
WOW $30 for 500 of those plastic cased ones? thats good deal. I can get the bulk pack 500 for $26 but it isnt the better quaility ones. The ones I usually talk about are the 50-100 round plastic packs you find in box mart for $7 50/$14 100.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Dashunde

Walmart has the Federal bulk bricks for $18-$23, my P22 ran great on them box after box, so does the Buckmark that replaced it.
They're not the best available, but they'll do for plinking around.

The Remington bricks are another story, imo...steer clear of those.

Those plastic cases are cute, but they rattle like hell in my truck!
Old January 1, 2013, 12:24 AM   #18
doctoss

No real problems with mine, occasional jams. When I take my kids to shoot I always start them off on the P22. Easy and fun to shoot.