The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 5, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Hairbag

CCI 22 WMR case head seperation

I was finally able to pick up a kel-tec PMR and I was target shooting at my dad's house in VA with my new gun using CCI 22 WMR ammo and after 2 mags of shooting kaboom! I inspected the gun and was able to extract the shell casing from the barrel (pretty easy) minus the head from the shell casing. I put gun back together (I was not going to fire it again) just to function check it and of course the slide will not rack smoothly and would get "hung up" a closer inspection revealed that the slide seemed slightly warped and a nick in the slide rail. Now, do you think CCI will make good? I checked kel-tec website and a new slide is about $100bucks complete and assembled with everything. I know I should send the gun back to kel-tec. This is my second kaboom in 4 yrs. My first one was a Kahr K40 (no fault of the gun) and was using NEW federal ammo which blew up in my face (case head seperation) . I called federal and it turned out the ammo was recalled years earlier. Federal made good on everything. Here's a pic of the shell casing. BTW this ammo is recommended by Kel-tec.

Last edited by Hairbag; June 6, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
steveno

I would certainly contact them with pictures of everything along with the lot # of the ammo.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:27 AM   #3
HiBC

Doesn't look good and it may be an ammo issue.

There is another possibility.

I have a 22 mag semi-auto that has a recoil spring and guide rod setup.There is a threaded recoil spring retainer that has a hole in it,the guide rod goes through it and it screws into the bolt.It is what the spring pushes on.That threaded retainer would work loose sometimes,and it became a stop that would not quite let the bolt fully close.

It was not enough so the disconnect would prevent firing,but it was enough to create an artificial excessive headspace condition.My brass was not separating,but it was blowing out half dome shaped.

So,could very well be an ammo problem,but look close to see if anything might have been keeping the bolt from fully closing.