The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Slug vs. triple ought buckshot?

If you were hunting hogs while walking, planning to jump them up from bedded down, and shoot them on the run, not knowing what size you might jump (small to large, but mostly medium-sized), and you had to use a shotgun, would you use a slug or 000? My buddy says buckshot is fine; I say a slug would be necessary for penetration. 12 ga 3" mag shells have 10 triple ought pellets in each shell, .36" each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdshot#Buckshot
Old March 9, 2006, 12:50 AM   #2
trooper3385

You would definetly get better penetration out of the slugs than the buckshot. For the type of hunting your talking about, I think you might be better off with the 000 buck than the slug. Your going to be looking at quick shots most likely at closer ranges, so the penetration out of the 000 should definetly be enough.You also don't have to be quite as accurate with the buckshot than the slug to get one down on the ground. Especially if you have one charging at you. You might even consider loading one or two slugs at the front and the buckshot at the back. With the State Police agency that I work with, the first 3 shells are 000 and the last shell is a slug. Might be something to think about.
Old March 9, 2006, 08:57 AM   #3
shureshot0471

go with the 000 it is your best bet, just shoot for the head.
- Ted Nugent
Old March 9, 2006, 09:47 AM   #4
fisherman66

Slug...aim for (or slightly behind) the ear. The brisket is covered in an inch or more of fat; thick, bristly hair and very tough skin. The vitals are deeper than a deer. A slug should reach the vitals, but I'd take the head shot if near.
Old March 9, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
You are gonna be jump shooting so best to use a slug in the chamber backed up with buckshot. I would say 00 as opposed to 000, the 00 will penetrate the "shield" better.

Usually when you stalk hogs you are most likely to catch them in the bed, when they hear you they will get up and stop momentarily to look at you. If you are quick enough you can get a standing shot and thats when the slug is the right choice. IF you miss with the slug, which is most likely if he is running, you can wack him with the buck shot. In the cover them suckers run like a snipe flies===hard to hit.