The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 3, 2002, 09:01 PM   #1
Stray1

X-1 R.a.p.t.o.r. Bhi

Just bought a three day assault ruck from BHI. The X-1 RAPTOR. I like it so far. It's a jump capable (airborne) and very comfortable. I have been using a London Bridge ruck for a longtime. My question is, what rucks do you use and what are the positives and negatives of that design and what would you add to it?

Positive: Coolmax padded backing.

negative: Bite valve on the hydrastorm water system.

Thanks for your help.

AIRBORNE!

P.S. What do you carry in your rucks?
Old September 4, 2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Foxy

I have a Eagle Industries AIII. I don't know if it has a coolmax back or not, but the thing is bloody hot after even a bit of walking around - my back is soaked in sweat.

Other than that, it's a fairly decent pack!

ATM, I only carry schoolbooks and such in it.. it will hold one day's worth of schoolbooks and folders for me
Old September 4, 2002, 10:40 AM   #3
HKguy9

Foxy, LOL another tactical student?
Old September 5, 2002, 09:14 PM   #4
ohen cepel

Waiting for my Eagle AIII Large to come in. I'll let you know how it is after I drag it around some.

Didn't want to buy a Blackhawk after I found out much of their stuff is made overseas.

Not sure, but I think I found a Blackhawk downtown here for $40, not sure the model, but I've seen it on their web-site.

If it's for an "Oh crap" situation. I usually have a few fire sources, poncho (for shelter), poncho liner, space blanket (signal/injured), few MRE's, bungee cords, socks, large fixed blade knife, poly pro top, chem lights, water purifier. And God only knows what else, varies on the situation.

I think anything without a frame on it is going to make you sweat.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old September 5, 2002, 09:26 PM   #5
Stray1

OHEN,

Let me know what you think about the A III large. I was going to get the large Airborne ruck from Eagle but they couldn't get it to me for over 8 weeks.

"fire sources, poncho (for shelter), poncho liner, space blanket (signal/injured), few MRE's, bungee cords, socks, large fixed blade knife, poly pro top, chem lights, water purifier. And God only knows what else, varies on the situation." <b> I add a plugger, hammock, camelback bladder, pop flare, marker panel, personnel hygiene and a change of underware and t- shirt.</b>
Old September 5, 2002, 09:44 PM   #6
HKguy9

Quote:
Not sure, but I think I found a Blackhawk downtown here for $40, not sure the model, but I've seen it on their web-site.
Isn't some of their gear made in Korea? I think my .308 magpouches are....

My Korean mandolin is pretty cool. Korean banjos suck though :barf:

So what is the COolmax system? Insulation for the hydration system?
Old September 6, 2002, 10:18 PM   #7
Stray1

I'm not sure where the gear is made. I know when I tried to order Eagle's ruck I was told it would be at least 8 weeks before delivery . I even called the manufacturer and asked for help if they could ship me a ruck before I am deployed. Still it was going to be 8 weeks. I received the BHI ruck in 3 days with a military discount. I am very pleased with this pack so far.

Coolmax is the padded backing to help with venting to control sweating.

AIRBORNE!
Old September 8, 2002, 08:20 AM   #8
Lightfighter

Coolmax is a brand name for a whicking fabric that is made by Dupont. You find it in many clothing items and some gear items. The only Blackhawk item made with Coolmax anymore is their padded patrol belt. The venting system that Blackhawk uses on the back of their packs is a molded panel that allows air flow around your torso -- it is an off shoot of similiar systems used by many civialian backpack makers. I find the Coolmax on the back of my Eagle Industries Becker Patrol pack to be a life saver.

Blackhawk recently moved all of their production to Vietnam. It was made in Korea before that, and back in the good ole days, it was made in the USA. Blackhawk has chosen to mitigate the rising costs of production by moving off-shore and shipping the gear back for sale. It helps with their supply (as you found out) -- when they have something in stock they have ALOT of it in stock. But the other side of the coin is that if they are out of something (which happens for them too) it takes just as long for them to make more and then ship via surface transportation to their distrution center in Virgiana. The moral being is the everyone has long lead times when they run out of stuff these days -- and everyone needs it quick for a deployment.
Old September 8, 2002, 09:06 PM   #9
Stray1

Lightfighter is one of the companies I called for Eagle gear including the Eagle Airborne Assault Ruck , the Large Airborne Ruck, assault Vest and the Airborne drag bag. None were available under 8 weeks. I called Blackhawk, they had all 4 items and I had them in my hands in 3 days. I had the demand, they had the supply and they(BHI) got my money. It's that simple.

"and everyone needs it quick for a deployment."
REPLY-- BITE ME

AIRBORNE!