The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 3, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
santacaferacer

Looking for info on gun case maker W.H. Watson - Colt Walker pair

I just picked up what has to be the most beautifully crafted oak gun cases I have ever seen. The joinery, the fit and finish along with the detailing are hands down the best I've been exposed to. It is labeled on the bottom having been built October 1988 by WH Watson and for whom he built it along with the types of wood and finishes he used. It is branded inside the box and on the bottom with WHW. Impeccable craftsmanship. The box is almost airtight such that when the lid closes it can not be slammed as the air seal prevents that. The guns are scribed in place as opposed to the usual dividers. A box fitting of the consecutively numbered 2nd generation walkers within. Then there is the matter of the scrimshaw colt insignia inside the box. Where these mass produced off the shelf items or is this another custom one-off item? Naturally, I don't think it is ivory, perhaps just plastic but it does appear to be hand made.
I don't know what it cost to make such a quality box but the guy who commissioned it probably paid dearly. It's like a coffin.

Any info would be welcome. It is rare that I like the box as much if not more than the contents! Just want to know the history of the maker. A google search brought up nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overall.jpg (188.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg close-up1.jpg (186.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg close-up4.jpg (147.7 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by santacaferacer; January 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
jlb43

Wow! That is one fine case.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
arcticap

Just looking at it was a real treat.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
David13

That is one fantastic looking box.
dc
Old January 3, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
santacaferacer

Silly that it actually detracts from the contents. Every time I go to admire the guns I find myself just checking out the craftsmanship of the box. The box weighs a ton. With the guns in it it's downright as heavy as a car battery. I don't know if the maker just built this one or if he was known for making gun cases. In either case, he was/is an artist. I don't think I could afford his work. I was just lucky that the guns came with the box. Heirloom for sure. The guns are not bad either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 9.57.38 PM.jpg (93.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 9.57.50 PM.jpg (36.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 9.58.03 PM.jpg (53.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by santacaferacer; January 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
santacaferacer

By the way, I will not be holding on to this set for long as funds are needed elsewhere. If there is any interest I'll be posting it shortly on the buy sell trade forum.