The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
HarrySchell

MN Steps Back from an AWB and Magazine Limits

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...191731791.html

As gun-control advocates filled the Capitol rotunda on Monday, a senator holding gun hearings this week said he will not take up weapons and ammunition bans that the activists favor.
"The outright banning of guns is a conversation that is more suited on the federal level," said Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, in a statement.
The Committee is holding hearings on gun-violence issues on Thursday and Friday, following hearings two weeks ago in the House. Latz said his hearings will focus on universal background checks that would close gaps in the current background-checks system.
He said his committee will not hear proposals for a ban on assault weapons or on higher-capacity ammunition magazines. The House took up those issues as well as background checks. Supporters of gun-owners rights overflowed the House committee rooms and were particularly upset at the weapons and magazine bans.

This seems like a welcome step away from emotion-laden decisions. Hopefully some other state legislators might also calm down a bit.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Technosavant

Your link doesn't work. Here's one that does.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Mezzanine

Thanks for the good news. Maybe we push for them to legalize the good fireworks now... Gotta be from MN to get that one...
Old February 19, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Magnum Mike

Still have lots of fighting yet! Far from over!
Old February 19, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
HarrySchell

Thank you, Techno!
Old February 20, 2013, 01:13 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

Now inundate your federal representatives, and the White House, with the same message. Do it once a week for the remainder of the year.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:36 AM   #7
DASHZNT

Re: MN Steps Back from an AWB and Magazine Limits

Id rather take the $3.50 a week in stamps and invest it in lottery tickets.. I have a better chance at actually winning. Plus its better than knowing my letters are just thrown away or better yet if they are responded to, its from some intern or nobody worth a darn.. just sayin.

I live in illinois the most corrupt state in the union so you can understand my sentiment.

Last edited by DASHZNT; February 20, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I live in illinois the most corrupt state in the union so you can understand my sentiment.
No, I can't. The fatalism inherent in not bothering is much of how we got to this spot in the first place.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
DASHZNT

Re: MN Steps Back from an AWB and Magazine Limits

Well.. knock yourself out then. I know better and my time is more valuable to me. This country has been trashed long before you or I gave a crap anyways. Good luck with that, Ill keep on keeping on.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

DASHZNT, your last two posts in this thread, show not only your fatalistic approach to the "Way Things Are," but it also shows another thing that is wrong with this country. Apathy. That is, you just don't care to get involved. Not worth your time or effort.

That's fine. You certainly have the right to feel that way. You even have the right to express that view, in the proper venue.

That venue is not here. You don't have the right to "crap" all over other peoples threads, when those threads are about activism in watching and reporting scheduled legislation that would diminish our rights or activism in restoring our rights.

I'm not about to let other peoples work in this direction, take a back seat, just because you don't think it will help and/or you don't want to help.

In plain language, take your attitude somewhere else.