The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

Removal of gas tube from FSB of A2 sight

ok i posted that thread on hacking off your A2 sight but bought a yankee hill folding sight and now i can't get my gas tube from the original FSB any advice would be helpful i thought about using a pair of vice grips on the gas tube with some kind of padding in between and hitting the FSB with a small brass hammer that i have.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Alleykat

Brownell's sells a fairly inexpensive pliers-like tool for just that job.
Old November 20, 2008, 06:15 PM   #3
10-96

That's a chore. Took me a long time with alternating Kroil and B12 Chemtool. It was probably all wrong, but after soaking and rolling and twisting, and jiggling- I held the gas tube with the sight hanging down and I whacked it with a fiberglass hammer handle for a good hour (including soak times). Next time- I'm buyin a new gas tube.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4
HAMMER1DOWN

Yeah i finally got it off after quite a bit of hoppes #9 and some boiling water and a brass hammer. i just wrapped the gas tube in some paper towel and grabbed it as hard as i dared and whacked the fsb with my brass hammer and boy oh boy that did take awhile.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:17 AM   #5
10-96

One of these days, when I get rich and famous, I'd like to experiment with something along the lines of a rubber cement or something to slather on a tube prior to sticking in the FSB. There really ought to be something available to keep carbon from building up in there enough to clamp it down so badly. I'd ruther work out a rubber type stuff than rock-hard carbon.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:01 AM   #6
AMX

I realize I'm a little late but I removed a few the same way. Vice grips and a hammer. I usually let a little oil soak in there first.
Old November 22, 2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Alleykat

Anybody got an opinion as to whether a little anti-seize compound might help, if, of course, applied during installation?
Old November 22, 2008, 08:31 AM   #8
dieselone

Yeah, antiseize would probably help. I have a gas block/tube I've been soaking for a month or two now. Everytime I think about it, I give it a smack to see if it's ready to come apart yet.
Old November 22, 2008, 09:31 PM   #9
AMX

dieselone-Something ain't right. You don't just give it a smack, you smack it untill it comes out. You can also use the vicegrips to twist the gas tube back and forth so that it turns inside the sight/gas block.

Of course none of this stuff works well if you forget to pop out the roll pin.