The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
timothy75

Trim or shoot em once more?

I just loaded up a box of 270 and about half of them are tough to chamber. The case measurements are about 2.55 on the sticky ones. The loads are about a grain and a half under max. Should i dissasemble the whole box and trim or do you think they would be safe to fire one last time? Thanks
Old November 16, 2011, 04:44 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Bass Ackwards

If you are 2.550 you are .010" over max case length of 2.540 . I find it easier to measure and trim before loading . Trim to length for the .270 Win. is 2.530 . Are you new to reloading ? I really doubt that anyone is going to tell you to go ahead and shoot them , especially if the bolt is closing hard !
Old November 16, 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
jepp2

Do you know there is a chamber length gage link so you can determine the maximum case length for your particular rifle?

Are you sure it isn't the shoulder that is making the bolt difficult to close? You could pull the bullet on one round that is hard to close the bolt on, trim it and check to see if the bolt is still hard to close.

If the case is hitting on the mouth, pull the bullets and trim them! If it is the shoulder that is making the bolt hard to close and your actual chamber length is longer than the longest of the brass, I would shoot them.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it's truly the case mouth jamming, shooting those rounds could be VERY dangerous. CATASTROPHICALLY dangerous. The blow-up your gun and kill you kind of dangerous.

If it's just the shoulders, it's no big deal as long as the bolt locks without undue force.

You really need to know, or just take them apart, full-length size and then trim them.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:05 PM   #5
mrawesome22

How far are you bumping the shoulder?

Do you lube the inside of the necks?
Old November 16, 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Jim243

Quote:
If it's truly the case mouth jamming, shooting those rounds could be VERY dangerous. CATASTROPHICALLY dangerous. The blow-up your gun and kill you kind of dangerous.

Ya, that could happen, but then there would be surplus on .277 bullets and 270 cases for us. And less Nubees, but I can't see how Timothy is a nubee having been a member over 6 years and a 1,000 posts? Maybe new to reloading? Or should we tell him to stop using 30-06 cases for his 270 because they will be tooooo long??

Jim
Old November 16, 2011, 10:05 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
... half of them are tough to chamber. The case measurements
are about 2.55 on the sticky ones.
Pull the bullets.
If you are truly swaging the overly-long neck into the throat (and therefore into the bullet), you are going to have some hellaciously unpredictable pressure spikes before the bullet starts to move.

Pull the bullets, dump the powder (to be reloaded later), resize with the expander/depriming pin backed enough to clear the primer, trim to 2.530 (-), and reload as usual.