The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Hank15

Left hand Mossberg 500?

I am looking for a Mossberg 500 for my friend.

He's left handed and he's concerned with ejected shells. Apparently he thinks the shells will slap him across the face .

Even if ejected shells don't slap left hand shooters across the face, is there a left hand model available?

Let me know what you guys think.
Old August 15, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Tatsumi67

Most of mossberg's features are ambidextrous, like the safety being ontop of the reciever and the slide catch being accessable by both sides.

in my experience it throws shells straight out on the right with little spinning, so he will not be slapped in the face.

my 2 cents
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old August 15, 2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Hank15

Do they have left side eject receivers?

If so, do they cost more?
Old August 15, 2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Wleoff

I'm left handed and have had both right handed and left handed pumps. I actually like a right handed pump better. While keeping the gun on my shoulder, it's easier to add one shell with my right hand with the receiver opening on the right side.

I've also seen right handed shooters use left handed pumps so that they wouldn't have to reach over the receiver to load one.
Old August 15, 2009, 08:08 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have never heard of a lefty mossberg. In today's tuffer economy, I doubt they would make them due to limited demand. Mossberg strives to build a great gun for little money. the lefty gun would cost much more then the righty if they were to make them.
Brent
Old August 15, 2009, 08:59 AM   #6
oldcspsarge

Remington makes the 870 in a left hand version.

Another choice to consider for lefty's is the Ithaca 37 or the Norinco version...bottom eject...works well for everybody !
Old August 15, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
the rifleer

I have a friend with a 500 and he is left handed and it doesn't seem bother him.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Superhouse 15

I have a lot of rounds through my Mossberg and as a lefty I've never had a problem with ejected shells being in my way. I would prefer the safety and release of the Mossberg with "right handed" ejection to a left eject 870 with a conventional push-button safety.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Snow Dog

Tell him to have a look at the Ithaca M37 - they are bottom loading/ejecting.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:12 PM   #10
oneounceload

Remington makes a lefty, Browning and Ithaca have bottom ejection - great for LH's (I know from personal experience).

If a semi is in the mix, Benelli makes a LH version as does Remington.

I shoot a RH 1100 in 28 gauge- don't even notice the empties at all
Old August 15, 2009, 06:59 PM   #11
TheManHimself

Most "Left-handed" long guns are utterly pointless.

Bolt actions make a good case for having left-handed variants; cycling a right-hand bolt from the left shoulder can be rather awkward.

Semi-autos require no input for cycling, leverguns and pump actions cycle identically from either shoulder.

Crossbolt safeties can be reversed, easily in most cases but occasionally requiring minor gunsmithing. Tang safeties are ambidextrous.

Nearly every right-hand-eject repeater in existence is designed with a forward or 3 o'clock ejection pattern that prevents empties from hitting the shooter when firing left-handed. One notable exception is the first-generation AR-15/M16; the brass deflector hump was added to the upper receiver starting in the mid-60's forward.

I shoot left- and right-handed because having that mirrored skillset available in the toolbox might come in handy someday, and I've never been hit by my own empties from any weapon I've fired. I would suggest that buying a new rifle or shotgun, possibly having to special order it, just to get a mirrored action is rather inane if the weapon in question isn't a bolt-action.
Old August 15, 2009, 07:39 PM   #12
oneounceload

One of the reasons I prefer O/U and SxS even more. Being a LH, they work well
Old August 15, 2009, 08:28 PM   #13
juanveldez

I also train to shoot both sides and never had a problem. with shells ejecting the only problem I had was doing some CQC shooting and getting brass down the back of my shirt that wasnt too nice.
Old August 15, 2009, 09:22 PM   #14
kozak6

If he likes the tang safety, he should get a Browning BPS. It has a tang safety, but ejects downwards like the Ithaca.

The Ithaca is also a very good shotgun, but has a crossbolt safety. I believe left handed safeties are available, though.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:02 PM   #15
jakeg823

lefty here, shoot my bro's rh pump all the time w/ no problems, also shoot my mossie 930 spx, also rh, w/ no problems. he wont even notice the shells unless one just happens to bounce off his arm or something, but the face, highly unlikely...i've been through hundreds of rounds on my bro's maverick(essentially a mossberg) and not once ever had a shell go anywhere near my face.

as stated above the only time a left handed variant is useful is in a bolt action, i got a LH savage 7mag last summer, and now that i've used a lefty bolt i could never go back to a rh bolt
Old August 16, 2009, 12:09 PM   #16
wezalsgunsupply

never made one

Mossberg never made a true lefty model. Gonna have to find an old 870 lefty or go to the Browing BPS or Ithaca 37 with bottom eject.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:04 PM   #17
Hank15

Thanks for your help everyone.

I told my friend about your inputs and he went ahead and bought the Mossberg 500 combo.

I recommended the other shotguns to him (Remington, Browning, Ithaca, etc.) but he said the Mossberg looks the best .

I'll let you guys know how it works out for him.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:29 PM   #18
Mossy500

the mossberg 500 ejects the shells more foreward and out than anything, he shouldnt have a problem with the shells hitting him unless he has his face on the ejection port
Old August 17, 2009, 02:21 PM   #19
TangoMcBlasty

I'm a lefty and I've shot Rem 870s, Mossy 500s, and Winchester 12s and I've never had a single spent hull come close to hitting me in the face while my cheek was welded to the stock. In fact, the guy standing to my right is more likely to get pelted with hulls than I am.

Save your time, money, and effort and get garden variety "right-handed" shotgun. Besides, when the zombies attack, you'll want to be well-versed with what's commonly available.