The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
MrSardonicus

Very interested in BP cap&ball revolvers

I have been looking forward to getting in on the black powder revolver side of my firearms passion. I have looked at several models and currently have my eye on a 1851 Navy by A. Uberti. However I am open to suggestions and am interested in what you all have to say about the many different ones you use. Keep in mind this will be my first black powder firearm of any kind.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Old March 31, 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Indian Outlaw

The '51 Navy is a great gun, but the barrel wedge can be frustrating for a first-time cap & ball shooter. Of course, some people have zero problems. Others curse the darned thing at first. The .36 Remington Navy is a little easier to master, if you like .36 caliber guns. The Spiller & Burr is also simple. I don't want to discourage you from getting a Colt -- they're fine guns. Am just giving you a couple of alternatives.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

You will get suggestions for every type and manufacturer available. Some people like Remington NMAs, some like Colt replicas; some like Ruger Old Armies. Some people like Ubertis, some like Piettas, some even like Armi San Marcos, or Armis San Paolos, or Euroarms, or CVAs, or Lymans, or 2nd Generation Colts, or Sig Series Colts.

I've got Piettas, Ubertis, 2nd Gen Colts, and Euroarms. My current favorites are 2nd Gen 1861 Navies; but have a well made and accurate pair of Uberti 1861 Navies as well.

My best advice is to go to a stocking toy store and try every one you can for how it fits in your hand. Then find one or more CAS BP shooter in your area and try their guns.

Regardless of what you start with, you'll buy more. Its like an addiction. Once you start playing with black powder, it gets under your skin, and in your blood. Pretty soon all you'll be able to think about is the next time you'll get to shoot. You'll want to do it more, and more, and more..... you won't eat.......you won't sleep...... it'll take over your life...........aaaaaaaaaahhhhh hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 31, 2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Indian Outlaw

Fingers McGee smokes the pipe of wisdom.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Smokin_Gun

Fingers pass me the pipe ifin ya don't mind.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 31, 2009, 07:22 PM   #6
madcratebuilder

Old March 31, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
MrSardonicus

Fingers:

ROTFLMAO!!!
On the more serious points, Fingers, sounds like solid advice to me. I know a couple of guys down at the CAS range, I'll go talk to them this weekend and see if I can handle some of what they have. I never have before because they seem a little odd and intimidating if you know what I mean...traits I'll just have to adopt if'n I'ma gonna get deep in this "black(powder)" stuff, huh?

LOL, keep 'em coming, folks. I'm lovin it so far!!
Old March 31, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
simonkenton

1851 Colt Navy by Uberti, you couldn't beat it with a stick!
Buy it now!
Old March 31, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
madcratebuilder

The 51 Navy is a great choice. I have a moderate amount of BP revolvers and like the 51's the best. There is just something about the way they feel and point that, at least to me, feels very natural.
I think the 60 Army and 61 Navy are better looking, but they do not feel the same, I know pretty subjective.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Smokin_Gun

I love my Uberti 1851 Navy & the other Colts I got, but I love my 1858 Rems a lil' more.

I do have some Colts & a couple Rems for sale, PM me to talk about it...I got pics. Or go to my Forum listed below to see pics.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Pipe being passed as we speak.

Well, I wasn't gonna get into showin pictures; but since SG started it, here are a few of mine.

And:

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 31, 2009, 11:00 PM   #12
51_60_colt

your collection makes me want to get more Fingers....I'm feelin gun poor,
Old March 31, 2009, 11:07 PM   #13
Smokin_Gun

A nice Brood you have there Fingers... What I posted was my Silver Eagle Collection
Old March 31, 2009, 11:15 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

SG - The Silver Eagle collection looks good. Love the pictures you posted on another thread of the Spanish NMA Remingtons. Especially like the engraved ones. I gathered from the response that BPRevolver liked em too.

First picture is of my shooters, 2nd picture is some of the NIB 2nd Gens.

FM
Old April 1, 2009, 02:35 AM   #15
Smokin_Gun

Thanks Fingers ... I love them S.B. Rems as Rems are my favored. Heve a full eng., partial eng., and recently aquired plain S.B. Rem all new or like new ... but the two 1860 Army Centaures are real close to my heart too, I have SN767 & SN925. Recently aquired the 2nd Gen. Colt Pocket Police in 6.5" bbl. .36 rebated cyl. That will probly stay unfired as I have an older shooter in 5.5" I think you've seen them.
This one is my computer desktop screen... :O)
Old April 1, 2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Hawg

Pietta is the best bang for the buck.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:30 AM   #17
darkgael

BP

I do like those 1858 Remingtons.

Pete
Old April 1, 2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Noz

Re: Wedge question.

Pietta does a better job than Uberti in getting the Wedge/barrel/arbor relationship correct.

And I don't think that's all of Fingers guns. If they all didn't have that short grip!
Old April 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

Quote Noz:
Quote:
And I don't think that's all of Fingers guns. If they all didn't have that short grip!
Hey I've got Armies - there's at least 4 of em - nope, make that 5 - in the two pictures
Old April 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
And I don't think that's all of Fingers guns
When he said a few that's what he meant. Tip o the iceberg.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:03 PM   #21
madcratebuilder

fingers has cornered the market on 2nd gens. I think he has more safes full of guns than I have guns.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Noz

My babies

My match 1860 Armys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860s.jpg (39.0 KB, 59 views)
Old April 1, 2009, 07:22 PM   #23
Fingers McGee

Quote MCB
Quote:
fingers has cornered the market on 2nd gens.
Not even close. There are a bunch of models out there I don't have yet. It's just getting harder to find the ones I don't have.
Old April 1, 2009, 09:54 PM   #24
crstrode

Doodley squat

I don't know doodley squat about BP revolvers - however, I've been shootin' 'em for a few years now.

I was worried about fit and function after reading all about how crummy these Italian guns were.

After all - if its on the internet it must be true.

Cabela's was having a sale so I bit the bullet and ordered a Pietta 1851 Navy, steel frame.

Since I knew less than squat at that time, I got the one with a starter kit.

The day it arrived I hopped in my car and took off to give it a try.

Worked perfect. Bullets and fire and smoke came out. My targets were full of holes.

I gave Cabela's another couple hundred bucks and bought a 1860 army. Works just as good and looks just as nice as the first one they sold me.

I've also bought used BP revolvers from BP Revolver forum members with great results. I even bought one without even seeing a picture. Sure enough - even though it was Pietta's no-frills lowest priced gun, I was pleased.

Since that time I've picked up several more BP revolvers. For some reason, I'm partial to the Colt design, and since I had good luck with the first one, I've stuck with the Piettas.

Frankly, I think the quality and workmanship is better than can be reasonably expected considering how inexpensive these guns are.

In the past couple of years I've been teaching myself a bit of kitchen table gunsmithin'. So far all of my BP revolvers work better than when I got them. Casting your own balls is also a snap. Fun too!

If a knucklehead like me can do it, just about anyone can.

Don't worry too much. Just go ahead and buy your first revolver. Get a brand new one from Cabela's. If in the unlikely event that you get a lemon, they are really good about taking them back and sending out another.

As others have mentioned - you may be in for trouble. Chances are that you will run out of money before you run out of lust for more revolvers.

Have fun!

Carl
Old April 1, 2009, 10:30 PM   #25
MrSardonicus

ohhhhhhh no, I'm HOOKED!!!

Well, I did it...I went to the range to do some of my weekly target shootin this afternoon and a couple of gents that are customers of mine were at the CAS range makin a heck of a lot of noise. I approached with caution and told them of my desire to get a better understanding of bp revolvers and my interest in the colt army models.
I have never seen two guys more eager to have someone try out their guns!! One gent had an 1851 Colt Army just like I have been drooling over on the internet, as well as a Police model I think he said it was. The other feller had a matched pair of 58 Remingtons.
They showed me how to load em up and then let me touch off a couple of cylinder's-full. WOW. I had so much fun I completely forgot about my Walther PPK and didn't even get any practice in on it!!
While I really liked the look and function of the Remies, the Colt's just seemed to fit my grip better. I still don't think I can decide between the two so I'm just going to have to get one of each.
Man, I can still smell the corn bread!!!
Thanks for all the wonderful posts and the great pics!! Oh, and I was wondering about the one's Cabela's is selling, so thanks for that post. I would be interested to hear other testimonials on the bp revolvers Cabela's offers.