The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Fredtp

Big Boss, Boss, or T-7 Turret

I have not started reloading yet..I am just reading and researching..I have the Lyman 48th and I am now reading the ABC's to Reloading...Almost everyone says go good right off the bat that is why I have picked Redding...I would like your opinions on that and also what is the main difference between the Big Boss and Boss? And should I just go ahead and start off with a T-7 turret? All three have the primer extraction tube right?
I like the RCBS stuff and I will be getting some their equipment...But I just like the looks of the Redding presses...
Old January 2, 2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Hairtrigger

I started out on a progressive press. I have been keeping an eye open for a turret press as a second press.
By choosing Redding you have made a good choice.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Swamp Yankee

No bad in that bunch

What cartridges do you plan to reload?
Strictly rifle, I'd recommend the single stage. If your going to do both rifle and pistol, I'd give the nod to the turrret.

Take Care
Old January 2, 2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Fredtp

Both

I will be loading Pistol .40, 45ACP, 357 and 38......Rifle .223 Rem, 30-30 and 243 and maybe 270..
Old January 2, 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
hivel37

The Redding T-7 is a good stout press and you can't go wrong with that choice. It'll save you a lot of die changes and is just more convenient. I've had one for about 6 months after many years of using a single stage press. If you were loading pistol only, then a progressive would be the choice.

I had a Dillon 450B a number of years ago and it didn't fit my style of reloading, so I sold it to another guy who had to have one.
Old January 2, 2006, 07:21 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

As with most equipment choices, it is always good to look at options above and below what you are considering.

I'd look at other presses that are just as capable, but a lot less money. The Lee classic cast press, with hornady LNL bushings, can be almost as convenient as a turret, and at a lot less cost. Those same bushings can be used in any press that can use 1-1/4x12 dies (they come with a reducer to take 7/8-12 dies, which is replaced with the LNL adapter). The Hornady LNL press, the rcbs rockchucker, the lee classic cast, and the redding big boss and ultramag all accept the LNL adapter. The redding boss does not.

Another option for quick die changes in a non-turret press is the forster coax.

Spent primer handling is much better on the lee classic & classic turret, the redding ultramag & T7, and the forster coax than on most other presses. These presses all capture the spent primer/debris in the ram, and route it through a hose to a waste container of your choice.

Lee's newest turret press, the classic cast turret, also looks really good, built on the classic cast platform/ram. I'd stay away from their other presses, except perhaps the hand press for some operations.

At the other end of the cost spectrum, I'd look at progressive presses that can be used turret style. Models from Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS are all capable of being used one round at a time like a turret press, with utmost attention paid to each operation on each round. But they can also run fully progressively, to crank out a bunch of pistol/plinking ammo.

Andy
Old January 2, 2006, 07:48 PM   #7
Fredtp

Still Thinking and looking

Now I have been looking at the Dillon 550B. Man I wish I knew someone close to me that does reloading so I could talk with them and see what they have..And watch the loading evolution...
Old January 3, 2006, 09:26 AM   #8
RERICK

I just bought the Redding T-7 from Natchez.I was like you in trying to make up my mind about progressive or turret,Well I guess we will see when I get it.
I figure for 169.00 I verses what a Dillon cost I could'nt go wrong and I could always sell it on Ebay.
But if ever do go progressive it will be the 550 Dillon.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:54 AM   #9
crazylegs

Hey Fred, have you considered going to your local gun shop and inquiring if they know of a few folks who re-load? They may be able to hook you up. I've found folks that re-load, myself included, eager to share the the ins and outs with nubees. Who knows, you may get a lot of perspectives on different equipment and see it in use.
Crazylegs
Old January 3, 2006, 10:15 AM   #10
tomf52

Fredtp - I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in your thinking, but I am in the same boat as you. The family gave me money for Christmas and either a new press (I now use an old Lyman single stage) or a 9mm semi auto pistol are my wants. I think I could really use the press more as I like to experiment with loads and I enjoy the reloading almost as much as the shooting. Now here is the glitch. I was between the Lyman T-Mag II and the Redding 7 position turret. Then all of a sudden out of the woods comes Lee's new Classic Turret Press. It's cast iron, not aluminum, and not even on the market yet. Will be out in about a month. A friend talked directly with Lee over the phone. It has an auto index feature which can be quickly disconnected if desired. It lists for $120.00 which means from Midway or the like it will probably sell for about $85 - $90. Another plus for the Lee is that additional turrets sell for only about $10 if you ever want to get ionto multiple calibers. I like Lee products, all that I have purchased have been great for me. Also, not only expensive, but try and find a turret for the Redding press anywhere on the internet.My problem is that I have a $30 off certificate from Cabela's (which isn't too far from me) that expires in a few days. Talk about indecision!
Old January 3, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11
tomf52

Big Boss,Boss, or T-7 Turret

Just called both Lee and Midway. Lee said the new presses are being shipped out. Midway said they have them on order but don't know when they are getting their share.
Old January 3, 2006, 05:49 PM   #12
Fredtp

Yea I went to the gun shop and they were not much help...
ReRick when you get the T-7 let me know something please...
I am torn now between the Lee Classic Cast Turret and the Redding T-7...
Old January 4, 2006, 09:07 AM   #13
RERICK

While Lee dies I have found to work very well I can't say about their presses.I have found that most don't care for them.I have heard it said that when they work they are great and when they don't they are awfull.I'm not saying they are bad I just here things is all.Some drive Chevy and some drive Fords.I never heard one bad comment made about Reddings T-7 so I made my choice based on that information.I also looked at my future needs such as large rifle calibers which can be loaded with the T-7.Plus for the price that Natchez is selling them for I couldn't resist.
Old January 4, 2006, 11:37 AM   #14
BigSlick

Redding T-7 hands down.

I bought one about two months ago. It is one of the best fit/finish presses I have ever owned or seen.

Hell for stout, 7 hole turret comes in VERY handy and the turrets aren't as hard to find as you would expect from the internet rumors.

The primer tube is priceless, it catches every primer and all the garbage from the primer pocket in the tube. If you wanted to get really kinky with it, you could install a threaded nipple on the end of the hose and punch a hole in the top of a small jar (or whatever else you might have) like I did.

I use an old peanut butter jar (plastic) and a couple of cheapo auto parts store hose clamps. The tubing is easy to find if you want it a little longer. I picked up 4ft from Homey Depot for less than $3. I have decapped a ton of primers and the jar still is nowhere near full. I sit it on the botton shelf of the bench.

I can't imagine how Redding could improve this press.

The $169 price is a steal of a deal. I dropped $180 on mine.

Just my .02 cents

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old January 4, 2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Fredtp

I think My mind is made up...T-7 it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!