The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 15, 2001, 09:00 PM   #1
instigator

how short a rifled barrel can one cut

i know the limit for the smooth bores(shotguns) but if you were to put a rifled barrel onto the action then can you legaly have it cut down to 16in and for the gun to have the oal for that of a rifle?
Old December 15, 2001, 09:52 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I strongly suspect that the cartridge it's chambered for dictates the minimum length of the barrel.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:49 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Interesting question. If you get an ATF reading on that....get it in writing just in case.

I think you would be clean goin to the rifle length but what a field agent thinks would count too. That is why I reccomend gettin a reading in writing from ATF.

Title 18 USC, chapter 44, subchapter B, Sec. 5845 (d). Shotgun.--The term 'shotgun' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

The definition of Rifle is same wording except rifled bore instead of smooth bore.

The operative words here seem to be SMOOTH BORE.

Sam
Old December 16, 2001, 02:49 PM   #4
secretrouge

I belive...

NFA means:

weapons over 50 cal (with an exception of sporting weapons)
Short brl rifles (brl less than 16)
Short brl shotguns (brl less than 18)
machine guns (fires more than once for each pull of the trigger)
any other weapons (weapon that do not really fall into other catagories like MP-5K (assuming its a semi) or pen guns)

So if you ask the atf if a weapon that is no longer really a shotgun at heart can a brl two inches shorter I think they would ask you to register it as a weapon over 50 cal or a SBS.

Also I belive that if a weapon is registered as one thing (say a mg) it does not need to be registered as another thing (say sbr)... Except weapons registered after 1986 can not be machine guns because the Gun Owner Protection Act made it illegal to register anymore mg.
Old December 16, 2001, 04:34 PM   #5
instigator

then if thats the case, w/regards to regerstering a weapon that has a rifled barrel bore larger than .50in, then all of the 20ga & 12ga guns that have rifled barrels on them would have to be regestered as well

i know it trivial, just 2 in and you could be in the slam but i think its one of those atf loop holes designed for themselves.
Old December 16, 2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Sending this to the Full Auto forum for some input.

Giz
Old December 16, 2001, 09:51 PM   #7
psssniper

Gee.....I don't know, why don't you ask Randy Weaver??
Old December 17, 2001, 05:10 AM   #8
swampgator

posted by instigator:

Quote:
then if thats the case, w/regards to regerstering a weapon that has a rifled barrel bore larger than .50in, then all of the 20ga & 12ga guns that have rifled barrels on them would have to be regestered as well
Rifled bore shotguns generally would fall into the "sporting purposes" category, provided they "look" like shotguns and aren't considered assault weapons due to the 94 law.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:06 AM   #9
instigator

hey sniper i think you've missed the point. mr. weavers case was a blatant dissregard for the law, i'm trying to fine a legal solution, which i have allready deduced that the $5 tax would be the way to go.

and sniper, dont add to the problem w/ snide remarks, if you dont know anything about the subject just lurk untill you do or better yet ask some questions like i am doing thank you
Old December 17, 2001, 01:48 PM   #10
556fan

Instigator,

That would be a $200 tax, not $5. $5 is for AOW, unless you manufacture it yourself, then its still $200.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:43 PM   #11
psssniper

Instigator, I guess in the future I will use the "smilie" faces so that you may be able to discern my messages intent a little easier

Missed the point/Weavers case a "blatant" disregard of the law?
Try entrapment!!

Add to the problem w/ snide remarks?
Sarcasm the lowest form of humour!!
(Sorry if you didn't get it.)

Lurk
Not I!!

Spell check?
Try it you'll like it!!
Old December 20, 2001, 07:30 AM   #12
Hkmp5sd

It's 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns (smooth or rifled) and an overall length of 26".

The difference in the $200 and $5 is anything that started life as a shotgun or rifle costs $200 regardless of who does the work. This is similar to the "once a machinegun always a machinegun" ruling from ATF. If the gun was made at the factory into a short barreled weapon, like the "Witness Protection Shotgun", its an AOW and costs $5.