The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
brandan

870 problems

I have a 870 express 12 gauge that after I fire it the action opens about a 1/2 or so on its own, I noticed it when I was shooting it with a pistol grip one handed so I know it not just my arm moving. I did install a ATI tactical fore end but have no clue if it was doing it before that or not, I cant seem to find any info anywhere online about what could be wrong, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance
Old November 6, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Sharkbite

With heavy recoiling loads this can happen. The action is unlocked as soon as the trigger is tripped. Recoil happens after this and with a stout load the action will open a little.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Crazy88Fingers

Completely normal. Can even aid in quicker reloads if you're super high speed.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:00 PM   #4
brandan

it does it with low recoil rounds to, I read that it was normal on another type of shotgun I just didn't know about the 870 so I figured id ask before damaging my gun
Old November 6, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5
yadkin

Yep it happens, my 870 tactical does the same when I shoot it off the bench when zeroing slugs, I have a mossburg 500 that if you dont hold the fore grip it will completely eject the round due to heavy recoil.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:09 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yadkin - can you force the slide back if the trigger isn't dropped? I worked on a 410 cal Mossberg 500 that did that. I sent the bolt slide back to Maverick Arms in TX (Mossberg told me to send it there) for exchange. The new one worked fine.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It happens only while you are not holding the forearm, does it not?

Holding the forearm is required, if there is no spring to keep tension on the forearm, as in the 870, with the bolt closed and fired. Friction is what keeps the action bar lock from being actuated after firing, and that friction comes from the shooter holding the forearm on these guns. The action bar lock contacts the action slide under the bolt. When you hold the forearm, while shooting, it produces a friction from the recoil between the lock and the slide. When you start to pump the gun, the friction is released. During firing, the hammer falling puts tension on the action bar lock, via a spring, which will make it drop down from the action slide, so the gun can be pumped, after the rearward forearm pressure is released.

Winchester Model 12's, and the Mossberg pumps, use a spring on the magazine tube, so one can fire them without holding the forearm. Remington 870's don't have this.

If a Mossberg does this, something is wrong.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:46 PM   #8
brandan

thanks for the answers