The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
waymore

Concealed Carry Ruger SR9C help

does anyone CC this gun? I traded the for the LC9 I had trouble with a while ago and have not really carried it that much because of the larger size of it. I know several people on here CC much larger guns but I was hoping for some help with holster recomendations. im open to any suggestion because I have not deceloped a preffered holster spot.

I placed this thread in this forum and not the "gear" section because I wanted some broader carry suggestions and styles rather than just specific holster.

Thanks,

Jason
Old August 22, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

My N8 (Nate squared at http://n82tactical.com/) is a little bulky but "ok" for appendix carry (shown here w/SR40c)... A sturdy belt is important:

In cooler weather, my inexpensive Blackhawk Size 1 works good for shoulder carry with a light jacket, and for all-day is preferable to appendix carry comfort-wise... (To me, double-stacks are a bit much for appendix carry so I don't do it for long periods.):

Last edited by CWKahrFan; August 22, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:56 PM   #3
BlackDogBrewing

I am fairly thin, 6'2", 195lbs and I CC my SR9C in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/58994 paddle holster with a T-shirt over top and then a button-down short sleeve or polo type shirt over top. I have it at a slight forwards cant, it pretty much disappears into my side with the two shirts, my wife rarely notices I am carrying even when she is looking for it (with the 10-round mag and thumb hook) I also have a Blackhawk Sportster soft IWB holster with mag pouch (the size for the SR9, size 5)http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-BHB990234BK it conceals the pistol and an extra mag but I find it somewhat uncomfortable.

Last edited by BlackDogBrewing; August 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
dinlong

I'm 5'6" 170lbs. I carry mine in either a comp-tac MTAC or CTAC with a forward cant. I carry at 8 o'clock (lefty) and with a tucked in shirt and a good strong belt it pretty much disappears.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
fallingrock71

Wow, the stars must be aligned just right. I was just about to post an almost identical thread.

I too have an SR9c (great gun btw). I am 6'3" 200lbs. The only holster I have tried thus far was the exact same Blackhawk http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-BHB990234BK that BlackDogBrewing posted. I found it quite uncomfortable and not really what I would call concealed at all.

Sorry I'm no help beyond that.

Anyone tried the Versacarry yet? http://www.versacarry.com/
Old August 24, 2013, 08:39 PM   #6
jimbob86

I have not carried the sR9c, but I can tell you from experience that carrying a large gun (I carried a 5" steel framed 1911 for a year, because it was all I had) is much more comfortable and concealable if you invest a bit of money in a good belt and holster. A good, stiff, purpose made gun belt will set you back at least $50, but it will be money well spent ........ the same can be said of a holster, but the really good ones will cost even more, and you may wait months for them.

Those floppy nylon el cheapos are better than nothing, but not by much.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
jimbob86

I looked at the VersaCarry IWB..... but I know that sweat does bad things to guns...... that looks like there's nothing between the gun and you ...... not good for either you or the gun.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:59 PM   #8
fallingrock71

jimbob86 That's my major concern with the Versacarry. And why I haven't bought one yet. I was thinking of some sort of modification or um..."tactical" underwear. lol. Probably not worth the hassle and a good holster/good belt would likely be better. I was just curious.

I've been around firearms most of my life, but I'm in Kindergarten as far as concealed carry goes. Appreciate ya guys.
Old August 24, 2013, 09:08 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
I've been around firearms most of my life, but I'm in Kindergarten as far as concealed carry goes.
Been there, and there was nobody local to ask, because when I first got my permit, there were less than 1000 issued in the state ..... it was Kindergarten with no teachers!
Old August 25, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10
DenverGP

I'm carrying my SR9C in an Old Faithful IWB. I'm using a decent leather belt, but not a true "gun belt" and have had no problems. I wear it right around 9:00 or so (i'm a lefty). It's been comfortable enough, and no problems with location when getting in/out of the car, sitting at my desk chair, etc. The wide distance between the clips seems to help make it stable even on a less than perfect belt.
Old August 25, 2013, 12:34 AM   #11
Venom1956

Versa carry is gimmicky garbage. It's not comfortable its not safe either.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Dragger34

I conceal carry my SR9c all day everyday, IWB holster, between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position.

It's just a cheap Blackhawk holster, nothing special. Helps to have a wide sturdy nylon belt.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Dragline45

Quote:
Versa carry is gimmicky garbage. It's not comfortable its not safe either.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Personally I think most holsters add far to much bulk and defeat the purpose of carrying a small concealable gun. For the past 2 years my method of carry has been sewing pockets inside my pants at around 4:00 on my hip to act as a hidden IWB pocket. The results is being able to carry IWB with zero bulk from a holster. Of course I only do this with DA or DA/SA pistols as I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this with a safe action pistol like a Glock. As long as you are wearing a belt the pistol stays put even if you are doing a handstand. The Versa carry seems like a pretty neat idea and I plan to try one out. As far as the safety concern with the Versa carry they now added a trigger guard if that is something you are concerned about.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Erikbal

Re: Concealed Carry Ruger SR9C help

Check out www.theisholsters.com. I bought one from him for my BG .380 and it's very nice. I also have an SR9c but don't carry it. It's a wonderful gun though!
Old August 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
915A

Quote:
I'm carrying my SR9C in an Old Faithful IWB
+1
Old August 25, 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
RBid

I cc'd a Ruger SR9c for a good while. I used a cheap Blackhawk! Inside-the-pants holster, at about 4:30-5:00, with a strong belt. It was very comfortable, and concealed easily on my 6'2", 185 pound frame.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:55 PM   #17
BillyJack3

Another for N8. My BIL carries his Ruger in one and swears by it. I coincidently use a N8 for my Sig.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Sgt.Fathead

I use a White Dog Holsters Purebred, right hand, IWB, with a forward cant and the optional sweat shield. This is a great holster and Devin makes them in some great colors. A friend has the blue and it blends in with his jeans owb. I have basic black, Check them out, short wait time and customization. My favorite things about my White Dog is the ease of reholstering and the great durability. Daily carry here in sweltering TX and no problems.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:48 AM   #19
Olympus

Re: Concealed Carry Ruger SR9C help

I had one for a while but it was still too thick for IWB carry to be comfortable for me. Ended up selling the gun for something smaller.
Old August 27, 2013, 02:58 AM   #20
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGP
I'm carrying my SR9C in an Old Faithful IWB. I'm using a decent leather belt, but not a true "gun belt" and have had no problems. I wear it right around 9:00 or so (i'm a lefty). It's been comfortable enough, and no problems with location when getting in/out of the car, sitting at my desk chair, etc. The wide distance between the clips seems to help make it stable even on a less than perfect belt.
I use the same holster, but carry a full steel CZ-75BD. I carry mine at 3:00 as a righty, and wear it on a Bladetech belt. I strongly reccomend both.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #21
waymore

has anybody bought the kit to make an old faithful holster? it looks easy enough and its a lot cheaper.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:20 PM   #22
DenverGP

I carry in an old faithful IWB holster. Was definitely easy to put together, and I like the fact that the tension is adjustable. After a week or so of carrying daily, the leather had loosened up some, and if it had rivets instead of the screws, I would have been stuck with a holster that was too loose. Instead, just tightened up the screws and it's been great.

I think there is an IWB holster that looks identical to the Old Faithful, but is preassembled and a little cheaper: https://aliengearholsters.com/ Haven't tried one of theirs, but looks identical to my Old Faithful. Will be picking one up for my son to use.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:27 PM   #23
bruno diaz

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been researching the FoXx holsters for the SR9c and have read nothing but good things about them, whether it's the Hybrid, or the Little Fox. I've been meaning to get one, and ended up in a situation yesterday where I was in a bad neighborhood and didn't have my LCP with me (it was on the bench for cleaning at home. I had to use my SR9c with a convertible OWB/IWB Uncle Mike's holster that I normally use to open carry (only on the range thus far) my P95. Needless to say, it was far from concealable and I had to pull a vest out of my car to cover it up. I'm hoping the FoXx will be much more comfortable and concealable. It was my first time attempting to carry my SR9C and I wasn't too thrilled.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:19 PM   #24
rotten mick

Two different styles but both iwb. First is Alessi Holster's. Great all leather holsters. Your going to want whats called a deep carry style. Price higher but I've had one 23 years of daily carry with out a problem
Second is Old faithful holsters. Good mix of leather and polymer. Cheaper if you get the "assembly required kit". Everything is fit and trimmed for your gun you just assemble it. Or for about double the cost you can get one assembled. Its easy to put together and its a plus over the others as the gun tension can be adjusted.

Main difference between the two is one has one belt clip the other has two. One has a little more leather between your body and gun. One is molded leather only other has polymer.

IMHO for a first time or limited carrying experienced person a holster that has two clip is more stable. But it takes more space on the belt line, but also spreads the weight out more.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #25
ClydeFrog

Belt or strong-side carry...

I don't own any SR format pistols right now but a good carry holster that fits the Ruger SR compact is the leather Wright Leather Works Predator.
It's available in 4 color choices, has a side body-shield & a metal band to aid one-handed holstering.
Wright is a high quality brand & you may need to wait a few weeks for delivery but the prices are fair.
Other good brands include; Don Hume, Galco, Safariland, Ted Blocker, Blade-Tech, Milt Sparks, Alessi, High Noon Holsters, Mernickle, El Paso Saddlery, Bianchi-intl.

Clyde