The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2014, 11:48 AM   #1
wstein

Cz75 bd or cz75 omega

I have my eye on a cz75. I can get a cz75bd for $470 or an cz75 omega for $540. Is the omega trigger worth the extra $70?
Old January 18, 2014, 11:54 AM   #2
40CalGuy

I have no experience with the Omega trigger, but I hear many people that do not care for it rail on it consistently. Do have the chance to handle them both?
Old January 18, 2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Some folks love them and some hate them -- the Omega System.

Any new CZ factory trigger tends to be a bit rough, smoothing out with time and use. Most folks say the Omega trigger is better in DA mode than other new models, but that the SA trigger [second shots] is less crisp.

You really need to do one hands on. What you'll get here is very subjective, and will depend on each responder's personal experience. I, personally, don't like decockers, so have NOT owned a BD or comparable decocker-equipped model. Had a lot of other CZs including the infamous CZ-100s. (Ugh on the CZ 100).

(Corrected "there" to be "here"... and added NOT -- makes a difference. Have handled and shot the decocker models; haven't even SEEN an Omega gun.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old January 18, 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
SHE3PDOG

I have to agree with Walt Sherrill, if you can handle both of them, do so. As he said, you'll get a lot of different opinions here. I personally prefer decockers, so the CZ75 BD would be my choice. I have fired both guns, but they were well used by friends, so I don't know if their triggers were very indicative of all CZ's, but the Omega trigger didn't impress me any more or less than the standard one; its just different.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 18, 2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Wishoot

Well I've had a 75B Omega for several years and I can tell you that it required absolutely no break-in period and has been smooth as silk. It's one of the few semi's that's never given me any problems.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

When I recently treated myself to a new semi to replace my sold G19, I had to choose between a standard SP-01 and a CZ75 Omega. I opted for the SP-01 , but two things about the cheaper 75 made me think long and hard: the weight distribution felt more natural and the Omega trigger felt smoother. Bare in mind I had come from a Glock and whilst the trigger was not bad, the SP-01 felt like my Astra snub in SA by comparison: very smooth indeed. THe Omega felt smoother still.

No idea how they shoot, and I don't regret the SP-01, but I do regret not being able to get an SP-01 with an Omega trigger!!
Old January 18, 2014, 04:27 PM   #7
ParabellumJ

This is a question only you can answer. Like was said before, if you can compare them first hand get the one that is right for you. I'm not a fan of decockers but for police use they are ideal. When a decocker is compared to a thumb safety version the latter has a better trigger. I've also never shot an Omega trigger so I have no first hand experience. The majority of reviews on the Omega trigger have been less than positive. My choice would be, and has always been a CZ 75B with manual thumb safety.
Old January 18, 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Wishoot

Quote:

No idea how they shoot, and I don't regret the SP-01, but I do regret not being able to get an SP-01 with an Omega trigger!!
Having both an SP01 and the 75B Omega, I can tell you that the difference in the trigger is night and day. The SP01 in DA is long and gritty, SA is pretty decent. The 75B Omega is superior IMO.
Old January 18, 2014, 06:20 PM   #9
chris in va

I suggest a regular 75b. Had a 75bd for a few years and options for trigger enhancements are limited. I hear the Omega system is nice but they're still working on aftermarket parts for it.

I'd love to have a polished stainless 75 converted to SAO. Mmm.

BTW if there's even a smidgen of concealed carry possibility, look at the PCR or P01. They'll do 95% the 75 does in a lighter, more 'combat' friendly platform.
Old January 18, 2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParabellumJ
...When a decocker is compared to a thumb safety version the latter has a better trigger.
The older [non-Omega] CZs all hadthe same parts internally. (The SAO models don't have a disconnecter.) The decocker models have only one hammer hook, the other removed to make room for part of the decocker mechanism. Some of the older CZs also came from the factory with a better trigger.

If you experienced a noticeable difference in the trigger pull between those two types of pistols, it's probably because you handled guns that had different levels of use, trigger/action work, or different hammer springs.

I have NO experience withe Omega system, but hope to try one out one of these days.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
rjksx1

does the 75bd still have that terrible hammer cam?
Old January 21, 2014, 12:33 AM   #12
hAkron

The Omegas used to be a fair bit cheaper than the non-omega guns.

Pros:
-Simplified internals
-Safety can be toggled on full cock, or half cock
-Smother 'let off' of hammer on trigger pull

Cons:
-Simplified internals are proprietary to the (much) less common 75B Ω
-Even the slide is different to allow for the wider hammer
-Having to look up the Ω symbol every time you want to type CZ 75B Ω

My advice is that once you have either, you are going to want both. Might as well save a trip and get both now.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjksx1
does the 75bd still have that terrible hammer cam?
That's not a feature of the BD alone, but of most 75B models. If it has the 75B fire control system, even the single action version, it can have hammer camming. As noted above, the internals of the decocker models and the safety models are almost identical; the differences, where the exist (due to the decocker mechanism) don't affect the hammer camming. The only 75B that won't demonstrate this is the 75B DAO, which, because it's Double Action Only never has the hammer resting on the sear.

Camming got worse over the years, so it's a feature that appears to be there by DESIGN. My earliest 75Bs didn't do it (at least not VERY noticeable), my 85 Combat from 2000 or so didn't do noticeably (but I've since changed out some parts); later versions of the same guns demonstrate it, and it has become more pronounced over the years, at least on some guns.) Older stock guns compared to newer ones shows some differences. A few of the newer SAO guns seem to have less camming.

As I understand it, the best way to get rid of the camming is to 1) have a gunsmith re-cut the hammer/sear interface*, 2) install one of the Custom Shop aftermarket hammers, or get 3) one of several kit from Cajun Gun Works. The camming can be reduced or removed.

*CZ tells us that the hammer and sear are heat treated, and modifying the interface (grinding on it to reshape it) can lead to faster wear. That's why the Custom Shop and Cajun Gun Works parts makes sense.
Old January 22, 2014, 11:05 AM   #14
rjksx1

Walt:

thanks for the in debth explanation. do you happen to know if the 75(no B) Shadow SAO has hammer cam?
Old January 22, 2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Trooper Joe

Just picked up this Compact L from the CZ Custom Shop. Fantastic trigger and smooth action. It is a safety model and you can actually engage the safety at the half cock position.
I also have a PCR and all steel compact that is a safety model. This Custom Shop job is a real keeper.

Trooper Joe
Old January 22, 2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjksx1
thanks for the in debth explanation. do you happen to know if the 75(no B) Shadow SAO has hammer cam?
No personal experience with the SHADOW -- but if it's a Custom Shop gun, and I think all SHADOW models are produced in the Custom Shop, it'll be a very refined version of the SP-01, with extras added (depending on the variant, special sears, hammers, etc.) I'd be very surprised if there was anything not top-notch about the action.

The fact that it isn't a "B" -- no firing pin block -- doesn't really have much to do with the "camming," as even some of the SA models, straight from the factory, might demonstrate some camming. (The firing pin block does affect the trigger, with the extra linkage, etc.) BUT, the fact that it's a Custom Shop gun tells you a lot.

You could email the Custom Shop (or visit the CZ Forum) for a 'for sure' answer.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:15 PM   #17
chris in va

The camming is quite overblown. Sure it's got it, but unless the gun is for target work, you won't notice a thing in a SD/HD situation. That being said I plan to install a comp hammer and sear from CGW in my custom 97b.
Old January 22, 2014, 10:32 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
The camming is quite overblown. Sure it's got it, but unless the gun is for target work, you won't notice a thing in a SD/HD situation.
Couldn't you say the same thing about a generally crappy trigger?

Overblown in some instances, not overblown in others. You may feel it's overblown, but many others feel otherwise.

I've seen and handled some NIB guns where it was noticeable but very minor. I've seen others where it was much more pronounced. It is NOT something that was common with the earlier new 75Bs -- and I bought 4 or 5 in the early 2000s; it's apparently due to a production/design change that was introduced over the past 6-7 years.

If you want a crisp SA trigger, you don't want camming. And, unlike the DA trigger roughness common with some new models, the camming won't go away with use or dry-firing.

Quote:
That being said I plan to install a comp hammer and sear from CGW in my custom 97b.
Range only gun?

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 23, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old January 23, 2014, 04:18 AM   #19
chris in va

Why do you say that Walt. The sear is adjustable. It won't be any different than a tuned 1911. I won't have it set at 2#. I do use it to good effect in our pistol matches.

Quote:
If you want a crisp SA trigger, you don't want camming. And, unlike the DA trigger roughness common with some new models, the camming won't go away with use or dry-firing.
It doesn't go away, but a lighter hammer spring and some decent range time smooths out the sear face to a glass like surface. The 'grit' goes away.

I also had a 2002 75BD. It has the same exact amount of camming as the 2010 97b and 2012 P01 I have. It's not really an issue, they all shot just fine. Could be I'm just used to it.

Last edited by chris in va; January 23, 2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:06 AM   #20
Pilot

I don't notice any camming on my PCR, and the trigger is light, and crisp. There is a small amount of camming on my 75B which has been reduced with use, but unless I watch the hammer when I am pulling the trigger, I don't notice it. Since my eyes are on the sights, and target, that isn't an issue.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Why do you say that Walt. The sear is adjustable.
There are truly adjustable sears available-- Cajun Gun Works offers one (with which I have no experience) -- and the Custom Shop site also mentions an available pre-B sear. Neither one of those are what I'd consider the "factory" part that comes in the standard 75B-based guns.

All of these parts have been heat treated, and more than superficial polishing (such as reshaping or recutting it to give a more crisp SA trigger) can cut through the heat treated metal and lead to accelerated wear. With the CGW or Custom Shop parts such severe adjustments aren't needed.

The Shadow models may have different sears -- some of them certainly do, as you'll see by reading the CZ Custom Shop comments about the models and triggers on their website.

As I noted in my earlier comments, the amount of "camming" tends to vary, with it being very pronounced in some guns, and less so in others. But with newer production CZ (B models), it's far more noticeable than it was years ago.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 23, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old January 23, 2014, 09:31 AM   #22
railroader

A little info on the adjustable sears. If you install a cz custom competition hammer or one from cajun gun works in a 75b there will be some fitting required. These hammers have shorter hammer hooks and if they are used with a stock sear the safety won't work. So you can file on the leg of the sear or on the safety. You have to go slow and stop when you are just able to engage the safety. Go a little to far and you have ruined the part. The adjustable sear is an easy alternative. It requires no filing. You just adjust the set screw to where the safety works.
Old January 23, 2014, 01:48 PM   #23
rjksx1

about four years ago(due to all good things heard), I bought a new 75BD and tried very hard to get used to the camming(it was my first 9 mm). Shooting a custom 1911 and a P220 primarily, I also practiced 50 rounds daily for about 1200 rounds with the cz. I really liked the fit and reliability, but that crazy camming sent my shots all around the target. I dumped it and eventually settled on a PPQ. if that cz had the trigger of my sig, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Can't find one.
Old January 23, 2014, 01:52 PM   #24
chrisp51

I have a CZ P0-2 omega and the PCR (compact 75B). I like the omega trigger but honestly I can not tell any difference in shootablity. What I liked most about the omega on the P0-2 is that I can change the safety to a decocker if I want.