The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2008, 04:06 AM   #1
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
10mm brass - where did it all go?

I have recently been looking for 10mm brass locally, Alaska is pretty big - so local is pretty far, and have come up empty handed. (Although I will be the first to admit that I have not looked under all the rocks.)

Started online searching, aside from the shipping coming to about what the brass costs, I have only found one source with any in stock. And I have not confirmed this with a phone call.

Anyone know what is up? I realize that 10mm is not .45 ACP but it was there on the shelves not that long ago. (Can still buy factory loads off the shelf.)

At this point it is cheaper to just buy factory loads, shoot them, and then pick up the brass to reload. (Due to shipping costs.) Just kind of goes against the grain to have to buy them loaded in the first place, when I just want to buy brass to load!

Any thoughts?

Now, go figure...
Old October 21, 2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Sevens

IMO, it's a niche caliber and it's popularity is on the rise right now, so folks have likely bought up the brass you saw (or thought you saw).

You said it's no .45, but think of what that means-- most guys who actually go through with the purchase of a 10mm are enthusiasts. There is no scientific data, but I can't imagine there are many folks who have bought and shoot and/or carry a 10 that don't reload. The few that don't reload probably realized a long, LONG time ago that it makes sense to stockpile their brass, for just the 10mm if not for all their calibers.

People are still running out and buying 9mm and .45 handguns every day, many of them new or relatively new to shooting. They fling brass left and right and have no idea that there is any use to it whatsoever. I've forgotten all the times someone at a public range sees me picking up brass and wonders what in the heck I'm doing, and why.

I would hazard a guess that new brass will be showing up for sale more often as more 10's are being sold all the time. But used or once-fired brass? I don't see that as a real easy or plentiful option any time soon.
Old October 21, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

skewed view

While I might agree that some dedicated 10mm users are stockpiling, I might also veer left here and suggest that instead of gaining fans, the 10mm (and available components) is slowly withering under the market reality of less users.

I'll add I've been wrong before.

My gut says "stockpiling...due to Senator Obama's stated goal of eliminating free Americans".
Old October 21, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
farnorthdan

Hey AZ..hows it going

I just ordered 500 brand spankin new 10mm brass from Starline and it showed up in my mailbox right quick like.....I think I paid $75 or there abouts and shipping here to Eagle River was something like $8-$10 for priority. Man is that Starline nice stuff. You can order it online or give them a call....

DS

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
jsflagstad

DS,Where did you order your 10mm brass from? It seems like Midway is out of everything lately..

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 25, 2008, 08:37 AM   #6
CowTowner

You can order new brass from Starline here: http://www.starlinebrass.com/
Also, Zero's site lists new primed Winchester brass for sale as well. That's here:
http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...y_Code=REL_BRN
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 26, 2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Nail Shooter

What CowTowner says. I've used both brands, think the Win brass might be just a little tougher.

Nail
Old December 28, 2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Peter M. Eick

My experience says that demand is actually up and that stockpiling is also going on.

I say demand is up because I find more 10mm brass at the range lately. This means that more rookies are shooting it because dedicated shooters would not let their brass "fly" so to speak.

Stockpiling is also going on. I know because I am doing it.