The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2002, 12:37 PM   #1
redrum

Newbie to CAS

Since all of ya'll have much more experience than I, I would like to get your advice regarding CAS.

I was thinking about getting into CAS. There is a CAS club about 1 1/2 miles down the road and I am going to check them out this saturday (Pungo Posse). Right now the only thing that I have that qualifies is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 45LC. If I get into CAS I will need to get another revolver and a rifle and a shotgun. What suggestions do you have for all of the guns and handguns that I will need to be able to compete? Thanks for the advice in advance.

-------------
NRA
SASS #46013
SBSS #1007
IDPA #15333
Old May 31, 2002, 10:08 AM   #2
Doug444

No one else seems to be answering, so I'll take a shot at it .

Since you already have a NM Blackhawk in 45 LC, try to stick with the one caliber. Unless you want to REPLACE the NMB, you'll be in the Modern class, so you can get just about any other SA revolver yoiu want for your second. You should be able to get a reasonable "coach gun" for ~$300, but the rifle could be anywheres from a $250 Rossi (used) to almost a grand for a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

Best thing to do is head to the local posse with some $$ in your pocket (to pay for ammo) and ask to watch. Most likely you'll be invited to "use mine" by several shooters there. It'll give you a chance to really try the game before spending much on new guns ('course, that ain't all bad anyway).

Good luck.

Doug444 (Lowgrade Orr)
Old May 31, 2002, 10:26 AM   #3
redrum

Doug444,
Thanks for the info. The Posse meets tommorrow and I am going to check it out. As far as trying anyones gear...the only think I am going to try for the next week are handguns...(see below)

I bought a 12ga Bounty Hunter II and took it to the range. First time I have shot a shotgun in about 20years...Much to learn! I am taking it back to the shop today to get a recoil pad installed.

The bruise is worse due to the blood-thinning heart medication that I am on...although even without that it would still be pretty wicked!

I am on the lookout for another Blackhawk 45LC in 7 1/2 blue as a brother to the one I have, but the Vaqueros are an option that I have been exploring as well.

-------------
NRA
SASS #46013
SBSS #1007
IDPA #15333
Old May 31, 2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Big Hext

Howdy Pard!

It's a big pasture you're riding into...

Since you've bought a shotgun, I'm guessing that you're more than just a little interested.

With a shoot tomorrow, take what you own and a couple boxes of 45 Long Colt cowboy ammo. If the club is like most, you will have a chance to shoot all the types.

I'll just throw out a couple of ideas here. If you don't reload, 38/357 is much cheaper than 45 LC. 45 LC is more reliable loading into rifles (especially 92s). If you fall for the game, you'll probably start wanting the more unique choices: Yellowboys, 1875 outlaws, Richard Mason conversions. Rugers are excellent, durable revolvers, but lack variety. Look for "featherlights" to shoot in your shotgun.

Take your time collecting your clothing. Shop "Goodwill/thrift" type stores and get some basic shirts. Buy quality leather and you'll only have to buy it once.

Best of luck...Welcome to the fire, amigo.

You might try www.sassnet.com for more information.
Old May 31, 2002, 12:25 PM   #5
Doug444

Dang! I've got an EAA Bounty Hunter II 12ga and MY arm never looked like that! Of course, like Big Hext mentioned, I've only shot the Winchester "Low Noise/Low Recoil" loads in it.

By the way, looks like you may not have been holding it correctly to your shoulder to get so much bruising on the bicep. That may have a noticible impact (no pun intended) on your propensity for bruising!

Doug (Lowgrade Orr) 444
Old May 31, 2002, 01:08 PM   #6
Ceol Mhor

Like Doug444 said, I bet you're holding that shotugn wrong. I've got a Stoeger 12ga coach, and it's never bruised me at all, even with the stock plastic buttplate. Try moving the butt inwards, so that it rests just under your collarbone (note: not on your collarbone, under it).
Old May 31, 2002, 02:20 PM   #7
Mike Weber

Dang Redrum:
you've been busy since we last crossed trails. I did a number on my arm like that once when I was a kid. I was swinging an old L.C. Smith up onto a goose and the butt slipped off my shoulder just as I fired off one of the barrels. Well except for the bruise it looks like you're off to a good start with getting your guns and gear together. There are some posts waiting for you over at the Ruger forum and the FFF. Jump on over to the CAS section there, we've been trying to get that part of the BB jumpstarted. I'd follow that advise and not be shootin any heavy loads in that blunderbuss for a while.
Mike
Old May 31, 2002, 06:24 PM   #8
redrum

I was using PMC Heavy Field Load, 12ga, 5 shot, 1.25 oz shot, 3.75 dram EQ. Boy have I got a lot to learn! Damn near took my shoulder off, but what a rush. Every once in a while I have to do something stupid to bring me back to reality. It went back to the shop for a recoil pad today! It actually looks alot worse than it hurts. Tonight the bruising had traveled all the way down to the elbow and is a very pretty shade of green and purple.

Tommorrow I will ce checking them out. Club rules are that a newbie must observe at least one match before they allow them to compete. I went to the local outdoor range today and come to find out, the guy that works there is in the club. He has two sweet Vaqueros with action jobs on them that made them as smooth as silk. Bring the hammer half way back and it seems that it wants to come back the rest of the way by itself...Smoooooth!

He said that if I wanted to order anything that it would be $25 over dealer cost. Best deal I have had from any of the other shops so far. I am still looking for a used Blackhawk. The more I think about it the more I am leaning to getting two .357mags. That way they are matching and like Big Hext said, 357 is alot cheaper than 45LC. But I am planning on getting into reloading sometime soon. Oh decisions, decisions.......

Well, I'll let ya'll know how it went. I guess I will have some pics as well. Thanks for everyones input. I already have learned that gun-people are good-people, but the CAS group seem to be extra helpful....none of this Glock vs 1911 competition....(even though we all know that the 1911's are better!!! Just kidding I don't want to start a flame war here! Just some levity!) L8TR

-------------
NRA
SASS #46013
SBSS #1007
IDPA #15333
Old June 4, 2002, 08:57 AM   #9
Big Hext

How'd it go?

Redrum,

Did you go observe? Any more questions or ideas?

Saddle up!
Big Hext
Old June 4, 2002, 09:52 AM   #10
redrum

I went and observed. It looks like alot of fun. They had 56 shooters and had to turn some away..(just to many people). Here are some pics..(sorry but since I was not a shooter I could only get but so close. At the end is a link to the site that the Pungo Posse uses to post some of their pics.

The berm is adjacent to an old runway that was used in WWII to allow the planes to line up their wing guns and sight and tesfire them.

Pungo Posse Pics

-------------
NRA
SASS #46013
SBSS #1007
IDPA #15333