The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 29, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Wyatt Earp

Help with a Ruger 10/22 that jams

So I got the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and installed it on my Ruger 10/22. Then I went out to see if the problem was fixed, and took my camera. Before I could not get through a mag. without jamming multiple times, factory or after market mags.

Now, after the install it still jams multiple times with the after market high cap mags. With the factory ten round mag it only jams every once in a while, once every 4 mags of ten.

These pictures are with the 25 round butler creek mag. See the empty that did not come all the way out. At the same time the spent round is hanging out there is a live round in the barrel.

This picture is with the factory 10 round mag.

One question I had is I noticed without the trigger assembly in, the slide operates very smoothly, but with the trigger assembly in it is harder to pull back. When I pull back on the slide its smooth until it gets half way then it gets harder to pull back. This picture shows when it starts to get hard to pull back.

My last question is, if the mags are the problem, what kind of high cap mag do you guys recommend.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Scorch

Your 10/22 is short cycling, possibly due to a dirty trigger group. Fully disassemble the rifle and clean out the action and trigger group with solvent and Gun Scrubber. That will probably help. I don't think your rpoblem has anything to do with the magazines.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Wyatt Earp

Thanks for the help. I have another question. When I have the 25 round mag in the gun, I can hold on to the bottom of it and it has a lot of wiggle in it. It is like the mag does not fit real snug into the gun.

It also does this with the little 10 round factory mag. Is this common? I was just wondering cause I have other rifles with mags and they fit very snug into the gun.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Scorch

Same with my 10/22, mags fit loose. All there is holding the mag in is a plunger and a little knob on the mag.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:44 AM   #5
gun44

Jams

Take your bolt out, and check to see if the extractor will hold a round to the bolt face, without it falling off! That is the primary job for the extractor! I have had a few 10-22s,that were jamming, and refitting the extractor, or replacing it cured the problem! Of course it could still be short cycling, and a good cleaning will help! Also check your trigger group for any problems. Also, sometimes a tight chamber can cause extraction, and/or jamming problems! You may want to check for roughness in the chamber, and/or damage to the rim of the chamber. Just a few suggestions.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:50 AM   #6
DnPRK

Make sure the extractor slot in the barrel isn't filled with crud. The barrel should be clocked so the extractor doesn't rub on the sides of the slot.