The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 27, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Amsdorf

VIDEO: What and Why I Carry

I had a number of friends ask me about why kind of pistol I use for my EDC and made this video for them, also explaining my "take" on why I conceal carry, particularly given my profession.

What do you guys carry and why?

I get hassled by people for carrying concealed, and I wanted to try to explain it, as clearly as I could.

http://youtu.be/0WfxkafoA80?hd=1
Old April 27, 2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Manson

Frankly I don't understand statements made in this video. The same thing that is often said by many. "I am often asked why I carry". "Friends and family wonder why I feel the need to carry." For me the real question is why do they know you carry? Unless you open carry there is really no reason for them to know.

I carry always. And no one knows. Not family, not friends, no one. Perhaps people enjoy having to explain their behavior to others. They enjoy the debate. But to me concealed means concealed. And concealed means more than hidden from view.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Amsdorf

Thanks for watching, to each his own, I say.

I think it is important for all who carry to help those who don't understand why it is a good thing and not "wrong" etc.

If you want to keep it entirely your "little secret" that's entirely up to you, of course.

The ultimate/real solution would be open carry, unhindered, as per the Second Ammendment which does not say, "The right to keep and bear arms...as long as nobody knows about it and you conceal it."

But that's another conversation/debate for another day.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Amsdorf

So, what do you guys carry, and why?
Old April 27, 2012, 07:31 AM   #5
dayman

Quote:
I carry always. And no one knows.
same here.

I see carrying a gun a lot like wearing a seatbelt. I carry a .380 as apposed to something bigger for pretty much the same reason I don't have a 6 point harness in my car. Plus, it conceals well regardless of what I'm wearing.

I liked the video though.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Sparks1957

Quote:
Not family, not friends, no one
Aside from you folks, of course. Concealed means concealed, hidden, without a trace. Personally, I feel it's no one's business but my own. It's not a game, nor do I feel the need to be an extrovert about it.

If the OP feels the need to explain his actions to all he meets, so be it. I carry because I've been a helpless victim in 2 robberies, and don't plan on reprising that role. I like guns, and feel totally comfortable carrying them after quite a few years of doing so.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Manson

Your position simply comes down to the fact you enjoy the attention. And seek attention not only by telling people you carry but making a video about it. The condescending comment of my "little secret" could be responded to with "I know when to keep my mouth shut as opposed to "I like to draw attention to myself."

And the second amendment also doesn't say " the right to bear arms and draw attention to it" either. To me it's much like wearing a concealed carry badge. Conceal then advertise.

ETA: Lets here from fellow members. Other than your spouse do lots of folks know you carry or is it your "little secret."
Old April 27, 2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Bellasogno

I agree 100% with Manson.

When I took the CC class, the very qualified instructor emphasized the point that it is quite foolish to advertise the fact that you even have a CCW permit, not to mention you may be carrying. No one should even know.

I only watched enough of your video to hear you provide your name to the entire Internet public...what's next? A roadside billboard?

Me thinks you may be liking the attention.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Dozens of people know I carry. We have a security team at church with 8 or 10 people. We all obviously know that all the others carry. Quite a few other church friends are also aware. My whole family knows. Most of my friends know.

I don't understand the big secret. I feel no need to explain it to anyone but I see no need to pretend its a security protocol to keep it a secret either.

I'm a gun guy. Gun guys have guns. Some gun guys carry guns. Some don't.

Everybody in the CCW class that was required knows and I don't know them from Adam. Big deal.

Farmer up the road knows. The guy that owns the grocery store (I know he carries too!) Egad!
Old April 27, 2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Amsdorf

Always interesting to read other points of view, thanks.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Sparks1957

Quote:
I feel no need to explain it to anyone but I see no need to pretend its a security protocol to keep it a secret either
Good point. It's not that I keep it a secret, but more that discretion is a wise policy.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Manson

Brian, your point is well taken. However you reduce the tactical advantage of concealment with every person who knows. If 4 people know it's a small thing if 50 people know it's not so small.

You can't fix crazy or stupid. If number 49 tells someone slightly unstable that you carry and he goes postal....

Something like this is very unlikely. But so is ever needing your carry weapon.

Oh and back on point. I carry my Glock 30sf or one of my Sig P220's. I practice every week and fire a minimum of 100 rounds.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Bellasogno

I have to agree with my CCW instructor, given his credentials - they were impressive to say the least. I see no value in telling anyone that I carry. How does that help me? It's not a 'little secret' either. It's just something I choose not to tell people.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
C0untZer0

This is the third time you've posted this video on this forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481480

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481320

How many times are you going to do this?

Old April 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Good catch, we don't need the same conversation in two places.
Closed Thread