The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Picher

Maine Deer Hunting Pics

Attached pictures, showing my tent blind set up adjacent to a Snowmobile corner signpost/blind. The view is 400+ yards down an old abandoned county road.

Rifle is a Rem 700CDL, stainless fluted, .270 Win, in a Stocky's Ultra Walnut, Leupold VX2- 3-9X, Timney trigger. Note the protection tape on the muzzle. Rifle is pillar-bedded, barrel free-floated. I was using a handload of 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, ahead of a near-max load of Reloder 22 and CCI mag primer.

I really like the rifle's balance and it shoots very well.

Saw over 40 does this past season and passed on two spikehorns, missed a quick 400 yard shot on a nice buck. (Under-estimated the range by a hundred yards.) The buck was moving across the narrow trail.

Hopefully, next year will be more successful, but this year was a lot of fun. Had a nice bobcat come within 40 yards at another location, then after it saw me, froze, then just melted away from sight.

JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700CDL b.jpg (112.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 700CDL a.jpg (85.4 KB, 155 views)
Old December 24, 2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Hoppy

Wicked sharp looking rifle. Can't believe no snow on the ground.
What area of the state were you hunting?

I was out for small game yesterday, I was sitting on a log and two does bounded right past me.
Old December 24, 2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Picher

The picture was taken October 31, Maine Resident Deer Hunting Day. No snow yet.

I was in Central Maine, Northeast of Augusta.

Last edited by Picher; December 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old December 26, 2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for showing the pictures. Interesting to see woods hunting. Where I hunt is virtually treeless. Not far from the Pawnee Buttes.

Better luck next year. And that is a nice looking rifle!
Old December 27, 2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Picher

We're lucky to have this area to ourselves (posted by a relative). As you can see, we have a fairly narrow shooting lane. A rangefinder is about useless because even a walking deer is only exposed for about 10 seconds...not enough time to get a reading, then go to the rifle for a shot.

There were six does in a row running across the gap, about 260 yards this fall. Didn't have an antlerless tag anyway, but looked through the scope to make sure a buck didn't follow them.

I normally sit at the rifle, even looking through the scope most of the time. We've taken about 100 deer from this stand in the past 25+ years. My biggest was 195 lbs. and 8 points.

My .270 Win is zeroed at 250, but max shot is about 430. I try not to shoot at deer past 300 because it's about impossible to closely estimate how far they are.
Old December 27, 2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Boogershooter

I buy a bulk pack of Lil orange marking flags at the hardware store. They have a foot long wire about the same thickness of a coat hanger and sure come in handy for marking yardage or tracking wounded deer. The wire is sturdy enough to stick in the ground but soft enuf to wrap around a limb if needed. Just a suggestion for marking the yardage at your stand.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Longshot4

It looks like a nice area. Although ya never know when some lost hunter or kids will come strolling down the path.
Old December 28, 2016, 03:15 AM   #8
Pathfinder45

Yeah, but I hear that hunting is statistically way safer than playing occasional basketball with the guys.
Old December 28, 2016, 11:45 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Although ya never know when some lost hunter or kids will come strolling down the path.
I believe in Maine, one needs to wear Blaze Orange while deer hunting making those individuals easy to identify, altho a prudent hunter would always make sure to identify his target and what's behind it, before he shoots anyway. If the property is posted as the OP claims, then odds are it's not an area that would see a lot of lost and wandering hunters/kids during the deer firearms season. No different than hunting an open woods. Most all of us, while hunting deer, have experienced lost/trespassing, hunters/individuals while on stand. The creation of shooting lanes has little effect on those, other than making them easier to see. From me, Lost hunters get a courteous explanation of how to get back to the road. Trespassers generally aren't as lucky.
Old December 29, 2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Longshot4

I'm a deer hunter and I understand. Just throwing out a point of Odds. I buy lots of raffle tickets and seldom win any thing but I have won. I suppose the Odds need to be considered. Or just keep it in mind. That's all