The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
zigster80

subsonic 308 load

Hello, I am new to reloading and trying to pick things up as I go along. I have a Remington 700 tactical in 308. I have a can and was looking at doing subsonic loads. While I was in the gun store I found some 240 gr 30 cal bullets. I figured a heavier bullet will make subsonic easier. I cannot find a load for the 240 gr bullet in 308, I don't know if the 1x10 twist on the 700 is enough to stabilize that heavy a bullet. I have a felling I wasted money on these. Can anyone get me a good subsonic load and if possible let me know if there is any load out there for a 240 gr bullet in 308. I wrote sierra the maker of the slugs but they said they don't have any data on anything over 200 gr in 308 and don't have any subsonic data at all.
Old October 8, 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Experimentation will be your best bet for something without any published load data.

Take the minimum charge of a given powder for the heaviest .308 bullet with published load data and reduce by 10%-15% and go up or down from there. Obviously you will need a chronograph to help you with how the bullets are performing and if they are truly subsonic or not.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 8, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Roughedge

Havent tried it but I found this on my reloading site. I would reduce it by 5% to start and work up.

240 Sierra IMR IMR-Trail Boss 10.0 gr

240 Sierra Vihtavuori N-320 15.0gr