The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Pops1085

Should I mount a flashlight on an Ar-15?

Tried asking this elsewhere but didn't get a reply. Just trying to decide if putting a rifle on a HD Ar would be a good investment or if they are just a useless accessory. Do they have a practical advantage or are they just something for the bad guys to aim at? I could really use some advice here.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:31 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

If you aren't going to get any training in its use, it will draw fire, but IMO flashlights are a must. You should not be shooting without identifying your target and since most home invasions happen at night (and since 2+2=4) you should have a flashlight.

But I cannot stress enough that you need to get low-light/no-light training. When you use a flashlight properly, it gives you a serious advantage over an intruder and will only give them an aiming point for a fleeting second before you have moved. By that time, they are shooting at where you were, and you are in a position to put the light on them and put more accurate shots on target and end the threat.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Justice06RR

I'm a firm believer that any HD weapon should have a light, weather shotgun, rifle or pistol. Its not a must, but it will help you in low light condition. So yes, I say get a flashlight for your AR.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
BPowderkeg

yes.., get a flashlight, BUT !! make sure it has "strobe" capabilities, nothing will disorganize an intruder faster than a strobe !!
Old December 14, 2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Stressfire

Quote:
I could really use some advice here.
My advice: If you want to, go for it.

Makes more sense to me for a rifle or shotgun than for a pistol as you are usually without a free hand when using a rifle.

Quote:
You should not be shooting without identifying your target
Absolutely correct. My HD preference is a pistol and a flashlight separately. I don't have to point my weapon at what I want to identify, plus I have an extra weapon in the form of a D-cell Maglite.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
9mm1033

Are you new to the AR rifle? Seems you may be and if so, I'd suggest you familiarize yourself on the TOTAL operation of the AR design, before you start dropping $$$ on all the toy accessories. Just because many say get it, it's a must have, doesn't mean it fits your exact means for HD. My AR is the plain jane version. It's not for HD, but I added a Magpul+ grip and a BCM charging handle for a proper fit and a solid pullback charge. It's accurate, functions well and suits MY needs. Never forget, when the SHTF at 2 am, you better be able to operate your HD weapon in the dark and half asleep. No room for error(s).
Old December 14, 2012, 01:17 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
yes.., get a flashlight, BUT !! make sure it has "strobe" capabilities, nothing will disorganize an intruder faster than a strobe !!
Strobe features can be fun to play with, but they are not necessary. Rarely will you have the flashlight on long enough to use the strobe. Proper use of the flashlight is to use the momentary switch and sweep the area quickly, move, sweep, move, etc. Once you identify a threat with a sweep, move again so that if the threat shoots at where they last saw the light you are no longer there, then put the light back on the threat and engage if need be.

My weapon light is the TLR-1s, but using the strobe is not high on my training priority. It can even disorient the user...
Old December 14, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8
comn-cents

BPowderkeg "yes.., get a flashlight, BUT !! make sure it has "strobe" capabilities, nothing will disorganize an intruder faster than a strobe"

I think a shot from an AR or some buckshot will "disorganize" them faster.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Pops1085

Hey thanks fellas yes I am a bit new to all this but I am not exactly green either I have been casually shooting and hunting all my life and am pretty familier with my gun now. Where would you guys recommend getting training? I live about 2 hours away from the twin cities so I think my options are kind of limited.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:55 PM   #10
ronl

It can be a useful piece of kit, but not necessary. You can prepare your home so that the use of a light will be less likely. I've placed small night lights around my home that will illuminate avenues of approach to my bedrooms without compromising my position. I say it's best not to use one unless necessary, but if you need one, you need one. I do have one mounted on a HD rifle. I'd reccommend getting one with a pressure switch to momentarily turn it on.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Aikibiker

Quote:
Where would you guys recommend getting training? I live about 2 hours away from the twin cities so I think my options are kind of limited.
SLR15 in Mn was recently recommended to me as a training venue. I am afraid I don't know much about their courses, but you could give them a call and see if they have low light courses available.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old December 16, 2012, 03:54 AM   #12
raimius

A light can be a useful tool, or a terrible liability. It depends on the user and how well they know how to utilize the light. I had a TLR-1 on my AR-15 and thought it was great. Then, I went to a shoot house course, and kept turning the darn thing on when I stacked up near a door (and shining a light in the floor of the doorway isn't exactly stealthy!). So, I realized I needed to change the set-up or alter my stance (I moved the light to a different spot). You'll find a lot of stuff like that when talking about tactics and equipment. Things can be great, IF you know how to use them correctly and integrate them into how you work. If you don't use them correctly or throw them on without thinking things through, you can end up with embarrassing or even dangerous results.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:03 AM   #13
SOCLOSE907

Im sure if i had to use a tac light i would have a pistol, light vs range is equal.. AR should be a mid range rifle
Old December 16, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
dgludwig

I like having the option of a strobe feature on any light attached to a firearm for self-defense because it serves to disorient anyone looking at the gun from the "wrong" direction.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:30 PM   #15
jackpine

You need to know what your bullet is going to impact and with a defence rifle you will 90% of the time be in the dark. Is there anyone or anything in your house you wouldn't mind shooting in the dark and hoping it'sthe right target?
Old December 17, 2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Ridge_Runner_5

Absolutely!

Old December 17, 2012, 09:42 AM   #17
stubbicatt

+1 on training. I don't think most people train enough. They spend their money on new toys, new firearms, and think they have their bases covered. Training is the difference between hobby firearm use and having the ability, as well as the means, to defend themselves.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Skans

No.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:17 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Yes. It is an excellent option to have, even if you don't even up using it, much like the purpose for the rifle itself.

Personally, I would not go with the strobe. The purported disorientation isn't consistently effective, sometimes affects the operator as well, and certainly tends to cast a surreal view on what is going on that may make situational comprehension more difficult.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:24 PM   #20
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Im sure if i had to use a tac light i would have a pistol, light vs range is equal.. AR should be a mid range rifle
An AR is a great close-range defensive tool, it is even better than a handgun in many instances.