The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2013, 07:10 AM   #676
Ritz

The last two times I went (including yesterday) the local Walmart had 100rd boxes of 22LR on the shelf.
Old November 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #677
Glenn E. Meyer

Yesterday, Bass Pro had lots of 45 in various FMJ at the current prices. Lots of 40 and 223. All the other rifle calibers and shotshells were abundant.

The 22s were gone as were the 9 mm FMJs.

Dicks had tons of 9mm FMJ but no 22s.

I don't understand the 22 horders. There are folks on THR who still prowl the stores at opening. They can't be shooting them. I might shoot 125 a month at a match. So with a horde of 20000 - I'll be dead before using it.
Old November 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #678
Sevens

I can honestly say that before .22LR went scarce, I was eating up about 500 rounds per range trip, and hitting the range around twice a month, more or less.

I do have a few boxes in my supply but I tend to shoot about half that much at each session since the drought began. And my consumption will drop more due to the cold weather, I simply won't be shooting as often until spring.

I had caught some goofball Facebook comment last night where someone said "I can't bear to shoot -ANY- rimfire and I have forty thousand rounds stockpiled." I truly have no idea if he was serious or simply trying to make someone get wide-eyed.

(FWIW, I am not a registered Facebook user. I simply must peruse a few Facebook pages in order to keep in tune with some purchasing opportunities, thus I am "forced" in to that world of utter stupidity. )
Old November 28, 2013, 11:21 PM   #679
greg61986

231, 296, Titegroup, bullseye Powder in stock

hunt more outdoors worked great received powder and no additional charge on card. Owner explained to me that he changed processing companies and that was the problem, when he ran it through machine at store it worked fine. also a "guy I know", yeah sounds made up, works in law enforcement ordered 4 kinds of ammo thru department 9mm,45,.38, 22lr, at beginning of shortage all went on backorder immediately 9mm came in a while later, a week after all shelves had 9mm 45 same thing 38 same thing. Tuesday he received 22lr and bass pro will have at least 300 bricks in every store tomorrow my assumption we need not worry much longer.
Old November 30, 2013, 11:02 PM   #680
StukaJU87

Stopped by Gander Mountain today, waited till after the madness to a avoid all the crazies. I saw a lot of people walking out empty handed and complaining about prices as I was walking in. As I walked past the registers, I heard people talking about 22lr, and they were saying "the store had plenty but they're stupid if they think anyone is going to pay 10 cents per round. So I went to look at the ammo to see for myself.

Their shelves were full of the most popular calibers, including 22lr, at highly inflated prices of course. All their prices were double what they were last year and 22lr was $50/500 rds.

Obviously people are coming to their senses since their shelves were still full and people were complaining rather than just buying everything in sight.

If the supply of 22lr Gander Mountain had is any indication of the current state of the ammo shortage, I'd say the shortage is over. They had more bulk packs of 22lr than I had ever seen on a shelf at any one time, EVER!

Side note: I know this is beating a dead horse but based on the prices of their rifles and pistols, I'd say the comment of their prices being $100 - $200 higher then elsewhere is spot on. They had an ATI Stg 44 22lr for $653! That's $153 more than everyone around me. They also had a Remington R1 stainless for $799, stores closer to me are charging $680 - $699. I saw a Winchester SX3 there for $1200, I saw the same one at a LGS for $830.

I don't know what's worse, empty shelves or over inflated prices?
Old December 1, 2013, 12:39 AM   #681
Sevens

EASY answer on that one...
Far better to see idiotic, inflated prices than to see empty shelves. Especially when you're talking about a known place of nonsense such as Gander Mountain.

While your experience is relayed as a negative (and if I burnt the gas and energy, I'd be apt to agree! ) to me reading it, it's a good thing.

It being in stock with silly prices is a necessary step in the process.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #682
StukaJU87

Stopped by Fin Feather & Fur Outfitters, Sportsmen's Den, and Walmart today. The first two, like Gander Mountain, had all popular calibers in stock at high prices.

Sportsmen's Den did have one good deal though. They had Federal 22lr $17.99/525 for their weekend deal. They were also giving away 1 free brick of 22lr with the purchase of a Browning 22lr 1911 for $499.

Walmart had the best deals, Federal 9mm 115gr FMJ $25/100 and Federal 45 ACP 230gr FMJ $39/100. Cheapest I was able to find today.

Good news is I'm not only seeing more and more bulk packs on shelves but I'm starting to see the return of normal prices. Bad news is I'm still seeing people grab the store limit without even looking at the price.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #683
bogeybill55

Reloading Components

New to the North/South Carolina coast. Looking for retail outlets that sell reloading components and tools in the Myrtle Beach, Florence, Fayetteville and Wilmington, NC area. Frequent trips to the Bass Pro store in MB yields nothing on the shelves. Trying to avoid the HAZ Mat fee for a single purchase of an item buying from internet sites.
It is also fun to shop in a brick and mortar store for the touchy feel satisfaction!
Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:40 AM   #684
dopar66

There's a place just up the road in Kinston, Neuse Sports Shop, that has on occasion carried some powder, a few tools, and a couple of sets of dies. Their website lists a lot more, you could call and ask if they have to ship in and extend the hazmat fee to the buyer. I haven't bought any from them, just rode up to VA to basspro.

There's one a bit closer, IIRC it's off Richlands Highway, that are "supposed to" carry a pretty good selection. I've never had enough time to stop in when travelling down that way.

There's a new shop on 17 just south of New Bern, rumor has it they have a good ammo stock but I haven't asked about reloading stuff.

Wilmington and south are out of my normal travel routes.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:47 AM   #685
bt380

Check out Bayou Bullets and Rainier Bullets for their prices and free shipping.
Old December 3, 2013, 03:20 PM   #686
Spats McGee
Staff

Score!

On Saturday, I had some time to myself, so I headed to Wal-Mart to check out their ammo supplies. I didn't find anything that I needed, so I left and headed to the next stop on my list: Bass Pro Shop. I needed a couple of stocking stuffers for The Little McGee. Naturally, I checked the gun prices () and the ammo aisle (). Then, I heard a voice come over the intercom: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a limited supply of .22LR ammunition available at the Optics Counter. Limit one per customer." I raised my head to see a human tide turn and move as one towards the Optics Counter. I followed suit:

I know it isn't much, but it's about 333 rounds more than I've been able to buy around here for months!

(Sorry for the fuzzy pic.)
Old December 3, 2013, 05:02 PM   #687
745SW

My local Big5 and the recent Costa Mesa gun show appear to have better stock of ammo than in the past several months. 22LR is next to impossible to get and 9mm, while available, is priced in the area of $20 per 50 pack.

I realize it’s not nice to show off or inflict discomfort but I’m doing it anyway. A pic of 22LR I currently have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00032,FlippedResized2.jpg (223.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by 745SW; December 3, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old December 3, 2013, 07:49 PM   #688
StukaJU87

Quote:
I know it isn't much, but it's about 333 rounds more than I've been able to buy around here for months!
May I ask what the price was?

Sportsmen's Den was charging $25 for the same box and Gander Mountain was charging $50/500. They couldn't give them away at that price, made me feel all warm inside seeing people refusing to over pay.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:52 AM   #689
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukaJU87
May I ask what the price was?
Certainly. $19.61, tax included.

Last week, our Gander Mountain had CCI standard velocity .22LR, which was also $50/500, and it was having some trouble moving them, too. I just can't bring myself to pay 10 cents per round yet, and I'm glad I waited.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:32 PM   #690
Richie07

Where to find 22 lr

Hey everyone , I need some help I'm looking for 22lr but it seems no ones has any .... If anyone knows of anyplace that has some in stock please chime in
Thanks in advance
Old December 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #691
Dc777

Cabelas had some this morning online. Walmart carries it more than people think. You just have to know when to show up.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 5, 2013, 04:05 PM   #692
Richie07

Where to find 22 lr

Yesterday I called Walmart they told me they had barely gotten a shipment in and they had cci mini mags I drove 40 miles just to find out they had sold their last three boxes 10 mins before I got their . All the stores that sell ammo were I'm located at ,are telling me that they have a line before they even open just to see if they have gotten a shipment in of 22lr .
Old December 6, 2013, 11:53 AM   #693
Kev

Bass Pro had a "Cyber Monday deal"
325 round packs of 22LR for 15.00
I immediately logged on and NOPE, OUT OF STOCK
Attached Images
File Type: png 22lr bass pro.png (226.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Kev; December 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:55 PM   #694
rlc323

The wife wanted to hit the mall this morning so I drove her out there on her promise of an Ihop breakfast. I dropped her off at the mall and headed south to the Gander Mt. Last week they sent me a flyer with their ammo "deals". The "deals" there usually just put them closer to regular retail prices elsewhere but I gave them a try. The only thing I bought was a Federal AE 223 100 pack for 49.99 which was not a great deal but much better than the never will pay that for it regular price of $59.99.

Their selection on most everything was well stocked up, just the prices on all but the specials were high.

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/...tionViewMode=1
Old December 7, 2013, 05:11 PM   #695
MEATSAW

A 100-pack for $50? Not a chance!
Old December 8, 2013, 09:56 AM   #696
Levant

That's 50 cents a round. Prior to the current panic, I never saw it for less than 45 cents a round.

I think most of us will pay what it costs, whatever that is. What choice do you have? Quit shooting?

7 years ago, I was complaining as I paid 5.99 for a 50-round box of 9mm. Before the current panic I was paying 14.99 and not complaining any more loudly.

Someone mentioned a part of the problem I hadn't thought of before: the price of brass. And I suppose other components are skyrocketing, too. Copper and lead certainly are. Probably the components of powder and primers as well. Much of the price increase from manufacturers and some sellers just can't be helped. Those few big-box sellers and LGSs who are gouging are just hurting themselves.
Old December 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #697
rlc323

I have had good luck with the Federal AE 223 brass over the years so that is what I usually purchase new. Midway has the same AE 100 round pack for $44 when in stock, add shipping and you are closing in on $50 per 100 again.

Even at todays component prices I can refill that Federal brass several times for less than 20 cents a round, not counting my time of course.

Locally the WalMart has tons of .223 Tula steelcase, which we like to use for shooting in tall grass where finding brass is not possible. It runs fine in my AR and for $5.27 per 20 I have no problems leaving the steel cases lay.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:33 AM   #698
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to WalMart for other stuff and found WWB 9mm 100 round boxes for $26 and change. Bought the limit of 3. They had plenty of 40 and 223.

I note I should 300 rounds a month in matches so I ain't sitting on like Ebenzer waiting for ghost of ammo past.

22 - nope - the hoarders are still looking for their precious.
Old December 9, 2013, 06:23 PM   #699
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

My local Walmart now has all calibers in stock except 22lr. They have significant quantities of 32spl (of all things), 380, 9mm multiple varieties), 40sw and 45, with others scattered in.

I overheard the clerk telling someone they'd have more 22 in tomorrow after 1pm but no need to hurry, it no longer sells out immediately.
Old December 9, 2013, 08:22 PM   #700
CWin

Not sure if its still on sale, but palmettostatearmory.com has (had) 50 rds of .223 for 17.99. I bought 10 boxes saturday and it was $11 shipping. totales $190 after shipping for 500 rds.
Closed Thread