The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 21, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
JackieNeil

AR-15 popularity

After seeing so many AR-15 guns in the gun shops, what does everyone think why so many people are are buying these guns. Is it just because of the large mag. capacity? Are people just getting prepared for shtf day?
Old November 21, 2010, 08:47 PM   #2
shanzlik

In case you can't buy them in the future...
Because they'rereally fun...
Becase they are flexible...
Because they can be very accurate...
Good defensive rifle....
Good varmint rifle...
...different reasons for different people, although they all apply to me.
Old November 21, 2010, 08:53 PM   #3
kraigwy

People like ARs for various reasons. I have two, one is an Colt, SP1, the closest thing a civilian can get that matches the M16A1 I used in Vietnam.

The second is set up for High Power. WOA Service Rifle.

I don't buy into the SHTF and Zombie BS.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 21, 2010, 08:58 PM   #4
tenusdad

Various reason I think:

1. It's military heritage gives confidence it will be rugged and handle whatever issue that comes up - shtf
2. Modular - it's the Mr. Potato Head of rifles - parts, magizines, ammo and accessories are everywhere
3. Versitile - it can be short, long, different calibers
4. They look cool and are in a zillion movies (hey I even bought a single shot muzzel loading side lock pistol after I saw Mel Gibson in the Patriot)

To name a few
Old November 21, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
MMcfpd

They're light, accurate, modular, adaptable to many cartridges, durable...; they're a modern (heh, heh..50 years) evolution of the rifle.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Longdayjake

One way to make a guy do something is to tell him that he can't do it. AR15's are the rifle that everyone knows the government doesn't want them to have. Makes me want a bunch of them.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Technosavant

Fun to build, fun to shoot. Parts and knowledge are readily available. Good for everything from cheap plinking (with a .22LR top end) to defense to hunting.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:54 AM   #8
5whiskey

Quote:
After seeing so many AR-15 guns in the gun shops, what does everyone think why so many people are are buying these guns. Is it just because of the large mag. capacity? Are people just getting prepared for shtf day?
Number 1 reason for me? If the federal government uses it and it's not a nuclear weapon, then any RESPONSIBLE citizen should be allowed to as well.

That and they are probably the most useful platform. High-speed, Low-drag entry weapon? Check. Varmint rifle? Check. Target rifle? Check. Adaptable to do all things adequately well with one rifle and a few accessories? Doable.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:10 AM   #9
10mmAuto

There isn't much of anything the average firearms user does that this platform won't do passably well - along with the fact that with minimal or no change it will do pretty much anything else.

Not to mention the ergonomics. It feels right.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Sport45

Quote:
what does everyone think why so many people are are buying these guns
For me, it was because they qualify as a high power rifle and don't punish your shoulder. Much easier to get better scores and cheaper to shoot as well.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:23 AM   #11
pythagorean

No other rifle makes a statement as big as an AR.
Old November 22, 2010, 09:02 AM   #12
thesheepdog

Ergonomics, Adaptability, Accuracy, Lethality, Reliability, Effectiveness, and user-friendly controls.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:31 AM   #13
Technosavant

Quote:
No other rifle makes a statement as big as an AR.
I don't know, the .50BMG ones might make a bigger one. But then, a five foot long rifle that weighs a ton and a half (or so they feel) can't help but make an impression.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:41 AM   #14
demigod

The AR has become the Harley Davidson of the firearms world. People want to be seen with their custom creations.

I hate this aspect of it, but it's a free country for now, so....
Old November 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #15
tirod

Well, more than a few million Americans have actually been taught to use the AR over the last 45 years, regardless of branch of service. That is a huge consumer base.

Anyone can take it apart to clean it, no tools needed. Try that with a Win 94 lever.

It has about a dozen different specific configurations, depending on use, from a 14.5" combat carbine, to 20" precision rifle. It's all based on one specific way to build it, so largely, all the parts can be upgraded or interchanged with others. It's even common to buy a bolt and barrel separately, with little regard to whether they were headspaced together. No other firearm gets away with that.

It shoots a dirt cheap surplus caliber, or you can move up to harder hitting alternatives, all while keeping the light weight and handy length. They are more fun to shoot and hunt with because of the lighter recoil and accuracy.

Most guns that share those qualities are popular, the lever actions far outsold the bolt guns in the day, and AK's are also a lot alike. Heavier guns in bigger calibers tend to stay in the closet when a long day hunting or shooting is planned. It's why intermediate caliber guns exist, the average shooter just uses them more.

Bolt guns and levers require some practice and use to get the action as fast as an AR, and losing the sight picture every time you load isn't all that attractive. You can shoot an semi auto with the nose on the back of the receiver and empty a 30 round mag with careful shots. It can't be done with old school guns.

If you want accurate repeat firing, an AR delivers. If you want reliable loading, I still recommend an AR - bolt and lever guns can be short cycled and jam. It takes a lot of training and muscle memory to equal the thousands of reliable reloads a milspec AR will achieve straight out of the box. It's exactly why the world's militaries use self loading actions, it will keep the newer soldier from doing it wrong and becoming a liability.

Some think a semi auto with a big magazine is inherently unsporting for hunting. We agree the first shot counts - but the potential second shot will come sooner, and more accurately. Why handicap yourself and force the game to suffer because of uncontrolled field conditions or a mistake in judgement? It's more humane to have a rapidly acquired second shot with higher hit probability. Again, it takes a lot of practice to be good with a manual gun - and most hunters don't practice all that much. Many AR shooters do practice a lot, if simply because they can shoot more with big magazines and cheaper ammo.

The point being a hunter with manually operated gun is inherently handicapped and less accurate shot by shot. Compared to an AR hunter, who's being more humane, when all the shots are counted?

Any shooter who uses the spray and pray method often doesn't care what firearm they use. Out hunting, I can't tell if it's a rapidly reloading lever gunner, or a carefully aiming semi auto. The pace can be identical. What I find interesting is the snobbery of manual action owners who think they do a better job. It ain't necessarily so.

Those that take a good first shot sound just alike, too. It's the shooter who makes it what it is.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:04 PM   #16
4runnerman

I know at the range i go to,they are becoming very popular.Seems like everyone has one(except me). maybe that should be the next gun on the list. Right now im looking at a 6MM BR.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
what does everyone think why so many people are are buying these guns.
Most folks nowadays are introduced to rifle shooting in the military, so they go with a proven, reliable system they are familiar with. Add to that the reliability, ruggedness, accuracy, gobs of accessories available, ease of maintenance and repair, etc, etc, etc, and you have a very popular rifle platform.
Old November 22, 2010, 06:59 PM   #18
CMKiefer

I agree with all the reasons above, but one I ddin't see (I only skimmed really) is purchase price. Back when I started lusting for one, there were basically two manufacturers: Colt and DPMS (I could be wrong) and those purple DPMS rifles had a bad rep. The Colts were EXPENSIVE. I was lucky enough to be just in time for the first mean-looking-rifle ban and Colts were going for $2,000 for an A1.

I didn't buy one at that price but later paid what would now be considered highway robbery for a Colt HBAR A2. Now you can get a decent AR from a wide variety of manufacturers for a reasonable price.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:04 PM   #19
pythagorean

I remember when $400 was enough to take a Colt AR 15 out the door.......
Old November 22, 2010, 08:47 PM   #20
MMcfpd

Quote:
Most folks nowadays are introduced to rifle shooting in the military...
I doubt that's the case; very few of the rifle owners I know have military experience. Many grew up hunting, some are vets and several don't fit either of those categories.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:57 PM   #21
Sport45

They're also a lot easier to "sporterize" than milsurps of days gone by and nobody chastises you for doing it.

Heck, even the military is sporterizing their versions of this platform.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:53 AM   #22
paralaska

I think it's an excuse to buy accessories . . . the black rifles are so easy to buy things for . . . everytime you look online or go into a gun store . . . you find some neat accessory to buy for it. Sights, scopes, red dots, grips, magazines, stocks, forearms, bipods, slings, upgraded parts, etc., etc. It gives you something to spend your money on. It feels good to buy stuff for it . . .
Old November 23, 2010, 12:56 AM   #23
HorseSoldier

I think the term "barbie doll for grown men" has been floating around the internet for a long time now in reference to AR accessories . . .
Old November 23, 2010, 01:26 AM   #24
686+

It's easy to shoot, comes in many flavors, it's light, and it goes "poing" when you shoot it . It's the 20th & 21st century version of the lever gun.
Old November 23, 2010, 05:37 AM   #25
gyvel

What's with all the shtf crap? Does everyone think human society is going to suddenly and completely collapse?

Anyway, I think its popularity is centered mostly among those who were exposed to it during the Vietnam years. (Or at least those whose 16 didn't malfunction in the jungles due to the early powders.)

Personally, I see it as a gun that has serious limitations; For example, you can't bust a door down with the butt of an AR15/M16 like you can with the solid brass buttplate of a Lee Enfield.