The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 2, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
jd3020

Help Identonifying An OLD Shotgun

Hey guys my father told me the other day to go to my grandmas house and get all of grandpas old guns and put them in my gun safe. So i ventured over and ended up bringing home 7 guns so you might be seeing me for a while. The first one im trying to identify is an old double barrel hammer style shot gun. Im assuming its a 12 guage but its been badly weathered by the elements of neglect and being in no gun safe or any type of storage. Alls i can find on the top of the barrel it says choke port and that is on the left barrel. Right in the center between the barrel's i can make out a few letters but thats about it. I will post some pictures and maybe someone can help. My grandpa has since passed almost 8 years ago so only if he could be around to tell me all the stories. Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

double barrel.jpg

double barrel 2.jpg

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old March 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
PetahW

It looks like one of the old (ca.1900) hammerguns that Crescent/Crescent-Davis Firearms made under over 200 different "brand" names, as inexpensively as they could.

Most sold then around $12, and they're not worth much today - especially in that condition.

Please do something to ensure than no innocent can ever fire it in your absence - like filling the lockworks/action with epoxy (inside).

Old March 6, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Two Old Dogs

JD3020: Your shotgun is most likely Belgian of origin, and possibly manufactured by Henri Pieper or Simonis, Janssen, Dumoulin and Company. Detailed pictures of the markings on the barrels, the barrel flats and the reciever water table may provide clues to the manufacturer and will identify the countrly of origin.

Henri Pieper and Simonis, Janssen, Dumoulin and Company manufactured multiple thousands of hammered double barrel shotguns in the period 1880 to the early 1900's, that were imported into the US by wholesalers like H. & D. Folsom Arms Company (one of the largest and the prime distributor of many of Pieper's trade name guns) who also owned Crescent Fire Arms Company.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
jd3020

a guy i work with has one that looks almost identical to it and the brand of it was an l.c. smith. I cant find any markings on it any where except on the barrel where it says choke port. Im not sure exactly i know its in no condition to fire as the stock is broke right behind the hammers AND im not wanting to fire it just find some history on it. But thanks for the info i will do some more looking around and cleaning on it and see if i cant rummage some letters out of the rust!!!!

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old March 7, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, No Elsie ever looked like that - but many of the inexpensive Belgian imports were marked with names almost identical (but, upon close inspection, not quite) to familiar, high-quality American & British made brands, so that uninformed folks would snap them up for chump change.

Old March 7, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
RJay

Any L. C. Smith shotgun would be clearly marked as such. PetahW is correct, no Elsie would appear in public looking like that. I don't believe it is a Crescent, but I do believe it is an inexpensive Belgium made import.

Last edited by RJay; March 7, 2013 at 01:08 PM.