The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2000, 10:22 PM   #1
2shots

After a lengthy layoff from semi-auto pistols, a Springfield A1 followed me home after an evening of trading and brown whiskey. The last time I enjoyed a 1911 was back in the late 70s so I'm a bit confused about shock buffers. Do these widgets really work? I'm not a competitive shooter and plan to run 200 and 230-grain loads through this new machine. I'd appreciate hearing your comments.
Old December 17, 2000, 05:28 AM   #2
Charmedlyfe

In a word, YES!!! They cut down on frame battering during recoil. Helps to protect your weapon.
Old December 17, 2000, 09:13 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

2shots, I agree with George. They do work however with some pistols their thickness can cause functional problems. You may end up experimenting with various makes until you get the thickness that will protect your frame and allow the pistol to function properly. George
Old December 17, 2000, 10:14 AM   #4
Patrick Graham

I practice with shock buffers in my 1911's but If I carry one of my 1911's I take the shock buffer out. Every once in a while I'll get a jam or stove pipe that I can only attribute to shock buffer binding, can't prove it though. I never have any problems without the shock buffers.

Some shock buffers seem to last longer than others. Lately I've been using red shock buffers I got from Brownells, I believe the mfg was Hewett but I'm not sure. They seem to be fairly robust.
Old December 17, 2000, 03:58 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 1911 is designed to allow the slide to impact the frame, so the frame absorbs and returns some of the slide energy. In other words, the slide should actually "bounce" off the frame and recoil spring guide to insure a proper return to battery. This can be seen by observing that the slide returns to battery in firing faster than it does when released manually and coming forward only under spring pressure.

A buffer protects the frame, protection it does not need, but can slow the slide and cause malfunctions. Some buffers will work OK, but they can reduce reliability. In serious use, anyone wanting to save wear on the pistol at the possible cost of his own life has interesting priorities.

Jim
Old December 17, 2000, 11:42 PM   #6
VictorLouis

FWIW, John Farnam makes all student's remove them

from their guns while in his courses. He has apparently seen way too many lock up in the midst of firing due to broken down buffers.
Old December 18, 2000, 11:21 PM   #7
SeaHaze

2shots,
I'd have to agree with Mr. Keenan on this one. I've been fiddle fartin' around with a Sprinco unit in my BHP .40 and trying to find a magic spring weight that'll make it work like I hoped it would. Can't seem to find the right combo. I'm coming to terms with having a $75.00 widget gathering dust. Live and learn.
I figure I'll shoot the damn thing 'till it breaks and then have it fixed.
Technique, practice, and a shot of adrenalin will keep the flip down and the front sight on target
Best,
SeaHaze

"The 2nd Amendment; it ain't about duck huntin'." bumper sticker I wish I had
Old December 18, 2000, 11:23 PM   #8
SeaHaze

2shots,
I'd have to agree with Mr. Keenen on this one. I've been fiddle fartin' around with a Sprinco unit in my BHP .40 and trying to find a magic spring weight that'll make it work like I hoped it would. Can't seem to find the right combo. I'm coming to terms with having a $75.00 widget gathering dust. Live and learn.
I figure I'll shoot the damn thing 'till it breaks and then have it fixed.
Technique, practice, and a shot of adrenalin will keep the flip down and the front sight on target
Best,
SeaHaze

"The 2nd Amendment; it ain't about duck huntin'." bumper sticker I wish I had
Old December 18, 2000, 11:29 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with Patrick & Jim. If you must have a shock buffer, it's for range use only. In defensive use, leave them out as they can break and disable your firearm.
Old December 19, 2000, 09:12 AM   #10
2shots

I appreciate hearing your opinions. The buffer will remain in place for shooting paper and put away when I'm about with the Springfield. Thank you all.
Old December 20, 2000, 10:07 AM   #11
LIProgun

Any part can break or wear out, including springs. With regular inspection and scheduled replacement, a shok-buff is no more likely to disable a gun than other such parts.

Are they necessary? No. But in an alloy-framed gun, especially with +P loads, I prefer to use a shok-buff. I would not use one on an Officer's ACP-length slide, but after thousands of rounds through a Commander length and Government length slide, I have never had a malfunction attributable to the presence of a shok-buff.

They are cheap enough, and easy enough, to replace before they become a potential liability.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old December 20, 2000, 03:20 PM   #12
RickB

I have them in all of my 1911's, even the .22, and have never had a problem with them. Of course, I've never let one come apart inside the gun, either. If I could attribute any malfunctions, etc. (I know someone who claims they will expand to the extent they'll crack the dust cover!?!?!?) to their presence, I'd stop using them, too.
Old December 21, 2000, 01:25 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Funny Y'all Should Mention This

Some years back, I traded into a 1911, "Combat Government Model", whatever that means. I've run a few thousand rounds through it. Anyhow, I've cleaned up the sear, done all the usual BS. The recoil spring guide is some sort of patented after-market thingummy, with a little piston and spring dealie.

I finally brazed up the back of the trigger and filed, stoned and honed until there is little foreplay before sear engagement.

Took it out, yesterday, to test. Around the fourth or fifth magazine's worth, it didn't function "quite right". Didn't go fully into battery, or didn't fire. I thought maybe it was me, not holding tight, etc. Or, maybe some more stoning and honing--a tad more clearance.

Came back in the house, took it all apart for cleaning, and Lo! And Behold! The little buffer thingy is now in four pieces! It's no longer a unit; it's component parts and a broken piece.

Guess what's going back in when I reassemble it?

, Art