The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 12, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
jd3020

Winchester model 77

Hey guys my pops and I went to a gun show today and he brought along his dads old Winchester model 77 clip fed .22 long rifle to see about finding another clip for it. Needless to say no luck but I thought while I had it I would clean it up for him. Any ways he has been complaining about it not cycling or feeding properly so apart it came. Ended up finding the operating slide assembly broke in 2 places luckily on the same side. So this brings me to my first question of I can't seem to find a operating assembly any where for sale so any thing would before help. Second I am an avid welder is it possible to weld it back together and grind it down to reuse the old part being they are not in existence any more.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old January 12, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2
mxsailor803

Have you tried Numrich? They have all kinds of old/odd parts.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
jd3020

Yes numrich and brownells are both out of stock. I haven't called just looked on the website. There were 2 made a clip fed and a tube fed and I found one but it didn't say which it was for and numrich shows it being 2 different part numbers. I'm going to try and weld it today and see if it will work until I can find one.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old January 13, 2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Doyle

There's one on that evil auction site right now but they want an ungodly amount for it.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Goatwhiskers

jd, can you gas weld? I would use Brownells 5% nickel rod, jig the thing up securely, and use plenty of Heat Stop Paste. Bevel the ends with your Dremel, to the bottom unless you can reach the other side to weld both sides, then dress off with a Dremel cut-off wheel, followed by whatever polishing you deem proper and cold blue if desired. You'll find that the 5%NI material is strong, tough, and will reblue like the original if desired. GW