The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1
riverratt

Im going now, or at least i was

Im just getting on to say thanks for all y'alls help. I now have the 2 loads i was looking for. One .44mag load that runs a 240gr bullet at 1000fps for plinking and another running close to 1200fps. Neither has ANY leading, and both are more accurat than my xtp hunting load (or so it seems havnt compaired apples to apples yet).

The only issue i have now is my lee mold has developed flashing around the base and seam where the base of the mold comes together. Im assumeing that there is something holding the mold open but i cant see anything. The whole bullet is in spec except the last 80 thousandths, give or take, it measures around 435 thousandths and the seam of the mold at the base is whats got me worried it measures almost 500 thousandths. I have 300 bullets like this.

I am planning to upgrade to a better mold but for the time being in just currious if a sizeing mold will "fix" these bullets or do i just need to melt 'em down and recast? Or are they even going to hurt anything as is? I only ask because i dont yet have a sizeing die and i did make a dummy round and it did slide right in my cylinder without any resistance.

Last edited by riverratt; September 27, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old September 27, 2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Vance

Get a magnifying glass and inspect the mold. Sometimes the debris holding the mold open is very hard to see. Also ensure that the mold halves are aligning correctly.
A sizing die will work to make the bullet a consistant diameter all the way down. However, since it will fit in the cylinder without problems, you may be OK. Did you slug the barrel to see the diameter of it? You want a bullet that is up to .002" larger than the bore. If the .500" fits in that range, then go for it
Old September 28, 2014, 09:29 AM   #3
riverratt

I did slug the bore, it sluged just under .430. The spot that measures .500 is just where the mold comes tofether.
Old September 28, 2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Vance

So let me wrap my mind around this. You have oval bullets? If you measure at the seam, they are .500"? and turn the bullet 90 degrees and they measure .435"?

OK. I just re-read the first post. Only the base of the bullet is measuring .500 and the rest is measuring .435? That would be a warped mold and you got it too hot.
Old September 28, 2014, 01:12 PM   #5
riverratt

Quote:
OK. I just re-read the first post. Only the base of the bullet is measuring .500 and the rest is measuring .435? That would be a warped mold and you got it too hot.
Well kinda the front of the bullet before it starts to tapper measured .430 then at the base it measured .435 everyware but the seam where the mold came together. There it had flashing raised upto .500 but only a thousandth or so thick.

I did find the issue i had a burr caused by the spur plate i guess right inbetween the 2 cav knocked it off and all is right with the world again.
Old September 28, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Vance

We see that things are hard to describe sometimes. Glad you found the problem.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:12 PM   #7
GP100man

I`d run a few thru the sizer & shoot em to see what happens before condemming em back to the melt.

It`s amazing what 1 little burr can do !! I once had 40# of 429421s that almost wouldn't go thru a 4305 sizer die !!

Good luck !!

GP