The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
mrray13

New gun, FNX45, non-tactical version

Seems like I've broken a cardinal rule, and I can only hope to be forgiven, lol.....

Anyway, a few months ago, yeah, I know, I bought this beauty of a firearm as a duty weapon, an FN FNX45. To go with it, and it's three 15rd mags with really big bump/floorplates, I bought a Safariland 6280 lvl II duty rig and open top mag pouch. Sadly, they sit due to the injury I received because of this accident on June 18,but when I'm finally released, looking like Sept. 26 maybe, they will indeed be on patrol.

Hopefully all can be forgiven. I will say this, I thought my SAR K2-45 felt good in hand, I think the FNX beats it. Both kill the Glock 21sf I did have/carried, and I'd put the FNX up against anything in a double stack 45, and expect it to come out on top. Shoot, pun intended, I'd put it up against any single stack 45 and expect it to win. It really is a sweet package!
Old August 15, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Jen-from-IL

I would love to hear more of your views and experiences. I'm seriously considering the FNX-9, so curious to hear your take on the grips, ease of use, etc.
Old August 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
mrray13

Jen, I also have an early FNP9, decocker only, and carry it daily off duty. It's been a duty weapon as well, and has seen a lot of rounds, including steel cased stuff, with zero failures. It's light, ergonomic and accurate. I use the rounded large backstrap, had to bob the hammer to fit the strap of my duty rig, stippled the grip and polished some of the stainless slide/controls for look, and shoot it every chance I get. In short, you'll love the FN line of pistols, I do, lol.
Old August 15, 2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Jen-from-IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Jen, I also have an early FNP9, decocker only, and carry it daily off duty. It's been a duty weapon as well, and has seen a lot of rounds, including steel cased stuff, with zero failures. It's light, ergonomic and accurate. I use the rounded large backstrap, had to bob the hammer to fit the strap of my duty rig, stippled the grip and polished some of the stainless slide/controls for look, and shoot it every chance I get. In short, you'll love the FN line of pistols, I do, lol.
Thanks for the info. The huge plus for me is the ambi controls. I'm a lefty so right handed controls are cumbersome. I don't have overly large hands, but larger than many women. So hoping to find one locally so I can see how it feels. The FN pistols seem to not get a lot of press, good or bad. I love how hey look and getting three magazines is a great deal, I feel. Hopefully in the next month or so I can finally start looking.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
mrray13

No problem. They are good looking, and kind of addicting. If they ever make the FNS in 45, it'll be in my duty rig! I love how they look and feel as well, with one of the best feeling striker triggers out there, imo. They feel a lot like the FNX as well. Something else to think about as here lately I've seen more FNS's in stores then FNX's. I got my FNX from gunbroker.com, but had handled a couple beforehand, both at a lgs and at a GanderMountain.
Old August 16, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
ShipWreck

Great looking gun. Congrats!
Old August 16, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
WC145

Nice piece! My duty gun is a FNP45 Tactical, the ideal duty sidearm, IMO. Everything other gun I've carried over the years pales by comparison. The big FNs don't get the recognition they deserve.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old August 16, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
btmj

I have an FNX-40 I got a couple of months ago. First 40 cal pistol I have ever owned. I wanted a DA/SA double stack 40, and I compared it to SIG, Baretta, HK. The only pistols that seemed nicer were about twice the price.

This is one very fine weapon. Very easy to use, soft shooting, fits me very well. I am a long-time Glock shooter, but I also shoot a SW 59 series, a 1911, a Baretta 92FS, SIG 226, and a variety of revolvers.

In short, I am a big fan of the FNX series. I am sure the 9mm and 45 versions are very nice as well.
Old August 16, 2013, 03:26 PM   #9
FrosSsT

Just bought a FNX 45 Tactical in FDE a few weeks ago and its a very nice 45 to shoot
Old August 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

A few months after picking up an FNX-45, it became my favorite full-size semi-auto. There are other heavy duty choices like the 10mm but the widely available .45acp has a long record of outstanding effectiveness and reliability. The FNX not only offers huge capacity but in light weight. I was worried about the weight when I first handled one at a gun show but after shooting it, I was surprised. I found it more comfortable to shoot than a steel 1911.

The grip texture felt a little aggressive when I first handled it but boy does it grip! With more powerful rounds, repeated shot control is generally more challenging. I usually prefer finger grooves but this does the trick. Depending on your skin texture, you may want to use shooting gloves for longer range sessions.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Jen-from-IL

I'm liking the love for FN pistols. Very little press about them, so good to hear from those here who own them.

Curious, has anyone had any issues with any FN pistol (FNP, FNS or FNX)?
Old August 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #12
IdahoG36

Very nice!

I recently picked up a NIB FN FNP 9 in flat dark earth, and I love it so far. My next addition will be the FNX 45 Tactical in flat dark earth, along with a Gemtech suppressor. They are fantastic shooting guns.

I recently rented a FNX 45 tactical along with a Gemtech suppressor at my local range, and I was very impressed with the combo. It was a very accurate, soft shooting pistol. So, naturally I decided that I must have one!
Old August 17, 2013, 08:28 PM   #13
weblance

I really like my FNX-45. I researched lots of different 45 pistols, and the FNX-45 had everything I wanted. I dont own a 1911, and I keep thinking I should own one, but I simply cant bring myself to spend the same, or more, on a pistol that has half the capacity, and no Double Action. I cant think of a better pistol for home defense than the FNX-45
Old August 17, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Psychedelic Bang

These are the best guns around right now, imho. I checked out an FNX 9 the other day and the thing is, "a little on the large side for concealed carry." If I could open carry; FNX would be my choice..

What I like about these things is the grip; I dig the feel on my palm, but I can see how some folk may hate it for being a little extreme. Regardless, the FNX 9 sat perfectly in my hand.

In short, "you've got a beautiful 45." Enjoy it...

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; August 17, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:29 PM   #15
dstryr

Jen, to answer about issues, fnforum.net has fnp & fnx sub forums and there are always a few guns that are troublesome. I have 2 FNP40s, one with probably 3000+ rounds through and one with maybe 200. I have had failure to feeds with American Eagle 165gr rounds on both. EVERYthing else goes through them without issue, 165, 180gr ball, hollowpoint, factory new or manufacturer reloads, it matters not.

I shoot the FNP pretty well, it fits my hand, and they have been ultra reliable with anything besides the AE ammo.
$.02
FS

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old August 18, 2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Jen-from-IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
Jen, to answer about issues, fnforum.net has fnp & fnx sub forums and there are always a few guns that are troublesome. I have 2 FNP40s, one with probably 3000+ rounds through and one with maybe 200. I have had failure to feeds with American Eagle 165gr rounds on both. EVERYthing else goes through them without issue, 165, 180gr ball, hollowpoint, factory new or manufacturer reloads, it matters not.

I shoot the FNP pretty well, it fits my hand, and they have been ultra reliable with anything besides the AE ammo.
$.02
FS
Thanks for the info about the other forum. May have to check that out. From what I have gathered in my research, seems the FN line is well made, priced fairly and has the options that most manufacturers do not (such as full ambi controls). There will be issues with any gun, of course (just as there are issues with any car - just want to not hear about a large number of them). One negative I have heard about the FN pistols though is the grips (some feel they are too aggressive and hurt their hands). I actually don't think that will be an issue for me, as I would prefer a bit more texture in the grip. I just hope the feel is right though, and that the controls, while being ambidextrous, are easy to manipulate.
Old August 18, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Karrill

FNX-9 owner here.... assuming you like the aggressive grip texturing (which I do), the only complaint on the grip I've seen is that the backstraps are a little loose if you take the one that is factory installed off.

This was also my experience, but its a minimal amount of play, and doesn't effect me when I have a proper shooting grip on the gun. But if I take the gun, I can slide the backstrap around just a little... If you decide on a permanent grip and strap, then just use a little superglue or plastic epoxy to lock it in place.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:54 PM   #18
dontcatchmany

FNX 40 here.

Super weapon and I truly enjoy it...looking at the .45 also.

Be safe.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:56 PM   #19

These are nice guns I have owned 5 examples 3 fnp 2 FNX all 45's. FNX has the following upgrades (over the fnp) Improved trigger group, lighter S/A pull, shorter and more pronounced trigger reset. Improved fit and finish thru-out, the new matte stainless slides are much nicer. New Mags. New decock lever/control now features a safety also. New barrel has more chamber support. I am more accurate with the new Fnx pistols as well, the S/A trigger pull may be the Reason. Keep in mind these fnp guns were no slouch to begin with. I don't own any HK product, but if they are nicer than the new FNX series From FN it can't be by much. Enjoy your new Piece.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:54 PM   #20
Yung.gunr

Well OP glad to hear that you are recovering, that could have ended VERY badly. Semi trucks scare the heck out of me. Be careful when you get back out.

Loving your new FN there. I went with my little brother to get his first gun and he chose a FNP-9. He went in planning on getting a Springfield XD9 or XDm9 but came out with the FNP-9. Owning a XD9 myself I'm a little jealous of his FNP. It feels better in my hand, I like the decocker and LOVE the hammer. I think I've become a hammer guy over striker.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:03 PM   #21
mrray13

Thanks Yung, when I finally get released I'm sure I'll be approaching traffic stops and road debris a whole lot differently. I know that co-workers are already having no mercy on those that don't move over/yield for emergency vehicles, and I won't either. Or semis rolling up the highway at speed with blown tires. Instant citation for sure.

I just had a co-worker call about trying to get an H&K 45, my first response was to tell him to come by and try the FNX first. We have two friends who swear by their H&Ks, and I want this one to try other options before those two take him over to the darkside, lol. Like mentioned above, I'm in the camp that believes the FN pistols are the best on the market right now, and a bit underappreciated. They sure are hard to beat anyway.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:39 PM   #22
Karrill

The guys at my LGS will openly tell you that in their opinion, the FNX directly competes with the HK45, at a much better price point. That's a hell of a selling point.

In my opinion, anyone who shoots the gun (with a properly sized strap, as the grip options vary a LOT with the pistol when you buy it), will think very highly of it. There isn't much to dislike on it.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:42 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
I just had a co-worker call about trying to get an H&K 45, my first response was to tell him to come by and try the FNX first. We have two friends who swear by their H&Ks, and I want this one to try other options before those two take him over to the darkside, lol. Like mentioned above, I'm in the camp that believes the FN pistols are the best on the market right now, and a bit underappreciated. They sure are hard to beat anyway.
As an HK owner I consider FN to be of very close quality for a better price. I have a lot of respect for them.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 21, 2013, 08:48 PM   #24
EnoughGUN

Fn

Jen, I have the fnp45 dark earth, my wife has the 40, a friend has the 45 tac and the 9. The only issue any of us (an di have never heard of any one else with problems) has had was my 45 blew up in a carry class. Really it was a bad round so I can't blame thegun. I will say that even though it blew the mag completely out and broke the decocker lever the gun still functioned perfectly. As for fn customer service I sent the gun and damaged magazine back and was promptly sent a new gun and complete new shooters pack with holster, mag pouch and three new magazines. The FN product and service are top notch.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Jen-from-IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughGUN View Post
Jen, I have the fnp45 dark earth, my wife has the 40, a friend has the 45 tac and the 9. The only issue any of us (an di have never heard of any one else with problems) has had was my 45 blew up in a carry class. Really it was a bad round so I can't blame thegun. I will say that even though it blew the mag completely out and broke the decocker lever the gun still functioned perfectly. As for fn customer service I sent the gun and damaged magazine back and was promptly sent a new gun and complete new shooters pack with holster, mag pouch and three new magazines. The FN product and service are top notch.
Holy cow!!!! Glad to hear you got a replacement though. I've heard about some negative reviews on FN's customer service but app do like you have a great experience.

Today I got to actually hold an FNX-9 and yep, I want it!!!! I really like how the grip feels ( seems to be an issue to some, baed on a few reviews I've seen. I didn't get to shoot it, but it just felt good to hold.