The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 25, 2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Why are there so few, if any, MG shoots in Texas?

Ever since I got into NFA collecting, I've been looking for Subgun matches or MG shoots. I don't want to go out of state, except for maybe one day going to Knob Creek.

Texas is very NFA and MG friendly, so why do we not have more of such events in Texas, especially central Texas?
Old May 25, 2015, 01:34 PM   #2
9x19

Probably just needs someone willing to organize it... and folks willing to travel to attend.
Old May 25, 2015, 06:07 PM   #3
precision_shooter

And the county and city will probably want some kind of liability waiver and insurance policy in place...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 25, 2015, 08:30 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Needs a big parcel of rolling land, for safety, roaded access from a highway, and a decent town nearby, as well as a willing landowner and commercial permits. Might not be easy to find all of that in one place.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Machineguntony

I understand the difficulty of the situation. I guess that's why Know Creek MG shoot doesn't happen every month. But if they can have a famous MG shoot in Kentucky, why can't we have one in Texas? We're a much bigger state, and I hear that we have a more NFA registrations than most states.

Last edited by Machineguntony; May 26, 2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:32 PM   #6
CowTowner

If you haven't yet, check with the T.S.R.A. They have been holding some 2 gun events to increase membership.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 26, 2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Tony,

Sounds like you just volunteered to get one started. 10 years from now it might be bigger then Knob Creek
Old May 26, 2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Machineguntony

I've really been thinking of asking the local ranges around central Texas.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Build it and they will come!!!!
Old May 26, 2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Lark

1. Join a gun club.
2. Tell them you would like the club to host a silencer shoot.

A club I belong to did this from 2011-2014, great fun. This spring the county shut down the club over a use permit, so I'm hoping they re-open soon so we can have another silencer shoot.

Or you can find a remote place and invite NFA firearm owners to assemble for a few hours of fun. Clean the place up when you are done.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:35 PM   #11
Txhillbilly

There are several shoots in the state,most are formed with the class 3 guy's on the Texas Gun Talk forum.
Old June 13, 2015, 01:19 PM   #12
scottMO

It's even worse in Arkansas. I rarely see another FA firearm and have yet to go to an organized shoot of any kind, besides idpa stuff..
Old June 14, 2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Erno86

Our range {AGC at Marriottsville} has a machinegun club {MDTCA- Maryland Thompson Collectors Association,} who's members campaigned successfully to have machinegun shoots opened up at our range a few years ago.

Go to the Maryland Shooters Forum, then scroll down to the Industry Partners section to the AGC forum, then to the MDTCA forum --- and ask IMBLITZVIT --- as to how he campaigned to have machinegun shoots at our range opened up.

--- George Orwell
Old June 14, 2015, 03:55 PM   #14
9x19

Tony,

If I had more time, I'd offer to help organize it, but... if you do move forward with this I will volunteer to help at the event in any way I can be of use.

Good luck.