The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
sltm1

The Last Word In Ultra Super Deep Cover !!

It fit's in the watch pocket of my Wranglers for Christ's sake. It's the NAA bp Limited Edition"Companion" in 22lr. I'll give you a range report once I can hold it without giggling !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAA.jpg (54.2 KB, 180 views)
Old May 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Boomer58cal

They're lots of fun. I shot one a while back. It was the convertible 22LR/22mag. Have fun and be safe.

Boomer
Old May 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I had something that looked a lot like that when I was a kid . . . I think Mattel made it?

So . . . . what do you use in that? Pellets? (as in pellets for a .22 pellet rifle?) How many grains? We'll be interested in hearing how you like it. Sure is a cutie!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 6, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
North East Redneck

I have a similar one. Mine has a bit longer barrel and wood grips. Picked it up on gunbroker couple months back. NIB, I've only shot four cylinders full so far. Came with 200 bullets, about 30 gr I believe. Very well made piece. It says it uses #11 CCI caps. Mine would not index the cylinder as those caps would not seat far enough. Remmy #10s fit well and go off on the first hammer strike.
Mine came with an extra cylinder also. I paid a decent amount for it, but just had to own one.
Is it useful? Maybe. Is it fun, yup. Glad I got it.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5
sltm1

Here's the "backyard" range report. I held my giggles down to a broad smile and fired away. I consistantly hit a 1lb tobacco can from 5-7 yds, more of a small pattern than a group. Being teeny and having no back sight that's not too bad. One of the bullets got trapped inside the can so I decided to do a penetration test. From 2yds, the projectile 1/2 imbedded itself in a piece of 1in pine, so I loaded 1/2 again as much powder for the second shot, (it calls for 2.5g fff). There was so little room that I had to shave the tip off the bullet with my pocket knife to get it to load.....guess you could say the powder was "compressed". Same result, only half a slug penetration, now mind you, I couldn't pull the sligs out with my fingers so they were really "in there". I thought I might see the difference between that penetration and ther penetration from a 22 rifle......it was major, the rifle bullets went through the board and splintered it at the exit hole. Firing wasn't consistant, but when I took it apart I found the nipple's were dead loose, I should have checked before the shooting (duh). All in all, I don't believe this is a lethal gun by any stretch of the imagination....but it's a hoot-to-shoot & I'd sure hate to be poked in the family jewel's by one of these rounds. Anyone ever done a penetration test with the 22 cap & ball magnum model?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Mine is the 'magnum', next time I shoot it I will try some shots on a pine board. Doubt it will do much damage. I had some dried 1 1/4" board that I shot with CCI CB shorts from a Henry H101, and also with a .22 RWS 350 Springer pellet gun. Couldn't tell which holes were cartridge or pellet. Both went clear through. Same splinter pattern on exit hole. I'm betting the NAA has less penetration than either of those did. I could be wrong, shall be fun to find out. No plans to take the NAA out soon, but will test it at some point.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #7
noelf2

I don't have a black powder model, but did research them quite a bit. If you use 777, you will have better penetration. There are also folks who use 1 gr Bullseye smokeless powder (I'm not recommending this at all !!!) and get more like 22lr performance.

I keep waiting for that 22mag companion at Cabela's to get a price drop. Think I'll pick one up then. I currently have a NAA 22mag/22lr combo.

Last edited by noelf2; May 10, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8
North East Redneck

I used 777 when I tried mine. I figured that people were saying that you can use Bullseye in it also, so I figured 777 certainly would not hurt it.
How much is cabellas asking for one? Just curious to see how much I overpaid.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
noelf2

$329.99 with all the following:

300 30-gr. lead bullets
Powder charge measure
Bullet seater
Five bullet nipples installed in cylinder
Allen wrench for bullet nipples
Small padlock with NAA logo
Black plastic lockable storage box
Leather bullet pouch
Replica Civil-War-era flap holster
Extra cylinder with bullet nipples installed

If they drop it to $250, I'll be getting one.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

I bought mine used, but it had never been used for $175.00 last fall off of this forum. It had everything but the holster which was no loss to me. The second cylinder had never even had the nipples installed. I have seen them recently for sale on some other gun forums for $200-250.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 13, 2013, 09:03 PM   #11
North East Redneck

Mine was $350 shipped. No holster, 200 bullets. Not horrible I guess. Coulda done better, but I wanted it.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:45 AM   #12
woodnbow

have any of you mini mag owners ever tested penetration?
Old May 15, 2013, 09:28 PM   #13
North East Redneck

I haven't tested penetration yet. Its on the list though. Let you know what I see when I do try it.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:27 AM   #14
Bill Akins

Have you tried using four F powder? Like is used for priming a flintlock pan?
I don't know how much more penetration that would give you in the wood, but it being a smaller grain than three F, you should be able to get more into the chamber so you don't have to shave the projectile again. Should give you a bit more velocity.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old May 16, 2013, 01:09 PM   #15
noelf2

Bill I don't have one, but I have read a LOT about them. 4fg works, but not as good as 777. From all I read, 777 gives you more like normal factory 22lr penetration.