The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
R9R

What can I expect out of an old gun?

I've started shooting more clays recently (trap, sporting clays), maybe 200 rounds per month. With a 70 yr old Remington Model 11 that's well taken care of, cleaned after each session, etc ... Can I expect that this gun will hold up over time, or am I pushing this old dog beyond what is reasonable?

Worst case scenario, I guess I'm in the market for a more modern shotgun, but wondered what everyone thought.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
bejay

think it will probably be fine if you want to keep using it, but a new gun obviously has some advantages like changable chokes.
Old October 20, 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
oneounceload

Maintained, no reason it won't hold up with target loads

Depending on its current choke, it might be lacking for one or more of the games
Old October 20, 2011, 04:34 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't know a lot about the Rem model 11 - but basically its very similar to the Browning Auto 5.

Are you going to hurt it - or wear it out - putting 200 shells a month thru it - no, probably not / but it depends on how much wear the mechanism has on it now.

Its old technology - and in my opinion / they're slow to cycle vs the newer more modern semi-autos on the market today. But I think your key is whether its fixed choke make it good enough for you to use - and have some fun with it / and whether it will cycle todays lower power target loads - or if you have to run higher velocity shells thru it which will cost you more. The fixed choke ( depending on what it is ) might be ok if its a Modified ...but if its a Full choke ...it might be ok for Trap ...but won't be effective shooting Skeet - and in sporting clays or 5 stand it might not be your best tool either.

Now if it won't cycle your shells 100% - then I think that's different / and I'd let it go and invest in something else.

Does it hit where you look / have you checked the point of impact ?
What is it choked ?
How long is the barrel ?
Is it cycling 100% ? Will it cycle 100% with lighter 1oz loads at 1200 fps ?

Those would be the questions I would ask ...
Old October 20, 2011, 09:21 PM   #5
kozak6

If it's adjusted properly, in good condition, and properly maintained, it should be ok.

It isn't safe to fire steel shot in it. If it has a fixed choke, it may pose limitations on the activities you can use it for. It's also 2 3/4" only.

Quote:
in my opinion / they're slow to cycle
I wonder why people make so much of this. Unless you are Tom Knapp, I wouldn't think it would matter.

Patrick Kelley says that the Auto 5 is faster than the Rem 1100, the Rem 11-87, and the Benelli M1 Super 90.
Old October 20, 2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things....

Most parts do NOT interchange between the 11 and the A5, but the springs and friction pieces do. In your shoes, I'd invest in a new set, install and keep the old ones for spares.

There's a fiber recoil buffer in the receiver, Brownell's etc have them in stock.

You may want to have a good smith do the work and do a deep clean in there.

JMB's designs were terrific, but often not user maintainable.

Repeat on the parts every 10K rounds......
Old October 21, 2011, 07:51 AM   #7
R9R

Thanks everyone.

A few of you referenced the choke, yes it is a fixed full choke. I actually like this for trap, but for sporting clays it takes some creativity and the proper attitude so that I don't get frustrated. The purpose of sporting clays to me is just to have fun and see targets in a birdhunting type environment, not to score 85. Trap on the other hand ... I'm able to do quite well.

When I was first given the gun 10 years ago it would not cycle 1 1/8oz shells, after some TLC I got it to cycle and have had no problems since. I typically run 1 1/8, 8 shot, but will soon try 1oz. I'd be thrilled if it cycles the 1oz, I could use a little less recoil (steel butt plate).

I'd like to get another remington, they seem to fit well. If I can find a good used 1100 I'll be able to put the model 11 on the shelf for special occasions.

Thanks again
Old October 21, 2011, 11:32 AM   #8
BigJimP

Sure, makes sense to me...

I find the Auto 5's and the older semi-autos slow to cycle ...and it causes me to hesitate a little between shots vs an O/U. Maybe its my imagination ...maybe not .. but I do think more modern semi-auto actions like Browning/Winchesters new activ valve system or the Benelli Inertia system that I shoot in their Super Sport models ...are both very quick to cycle.

None of us play these games to make our living ...but scoring better, isn't a bad thing either ..and if your equipment is holding you back - then its time for some kind of an upgrade. At least going to a gun where you can change the chokes to an IC or a Mod will make a big difference. And with the newer guns - you won't have any trouble shooting 1 oz loads at 1200 fps ...some of the semi-autos don't like loads at 1150 fps ...but most of the gas guns are ok on real light loads too ....and a load of 1oz of 8's really does everything pretty well in a 12ga from Skeet - Trap - Sporting Clays...
Old October 22, 2011, 12:31 PM   #9
olddrum1

In my expert opinion its about ready to self detonate and wipe everyone out in a twenty yard radius. You can now share this with your wife and start looking for that new shotgun.