The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2015, 02:26 PM   #1
burrhead

WFT review

I received a new World Finest Trimmer for .223 Rem. a couple of days ago. All brass is once fired LC full length resized with the shoulder bumped back 0.002. I’ve used a few different brands of lathe style trimmers over the years and have found the Wilson to be the best of the bunch for precision. Having been given thousands of LC 5.56 cases to play with I needed to add speed to the trimming chore, hence the WFT. My review follows.

The cases after sizing but before trimming are +/- 1.770. Manual specs trim to length is 1.750 but I like to trim a little shorter. Trimmed a case on my Wilson to 1.745 to use as a master that was subsequently used to index off of to set up the WFT.

Setup is to loosen two allen setscrews, insert the master, slide the cutter until it just touches the mouth of the master, then tighten the set screws. Took less than a minute. Care must be taken as the screws are steel and the datum index housing is aluminum. Test trimming five cases using a cordless drill motor gave an OAL case length of 1.747. I felt that was close enough. The trimmer is sensitive to differences in technique as will be noted latter.

Installed the trimmer in a drill press and set speed to 1720 RPM. After establishing a rhythm, OAL settled to 1.743 +/- 0.002. This reflects a change in my technique. The manufacturer considers this to be within expected operational specs. The case mouths were very smooth and will require only a light chamfering but, as this is a brand new cutter, I expect a falloff in cutter performance. I easily trimmed 10-12 cases per minute for a total of 300 cases.

Using a drill press instead of a drill motor causes the brass shavings to collect on a sort of “shelf” inside the trimmer housing. These filings are easily blown out with compressed air every one hundred cases which, in my shop, isn’t a problem but in a house would necessitate some other way to deal with the shavings to keep on the good side of SWMBO.

My conclusion is that accuracy will improve as technique becomes more fluid but will never match a good lathe type, setup is very quick and easy but will always be somewhat imprecise, trimming is very fast, and my hands will throb at night. My one criticism is using steel setscrews in an aluminum housing. Time will tell how well that holds up. Overall I give the WFT two (sore) thumbs up.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 13, 2015, 02:32 PM   #2
the led farmer

Trimming brass sucks, the WFT makes it suck a lot less. I love mine
Old February 16, 2015, 01:23 PM   #3
schmellba99

Get you a Giraud 3 way. Way better than the WFT, Possum Hollow or any of the other similar types. And Giraud chamfers and deburrs in a single step. It's awesome. Cost $90.
Old February 6, 2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Nathan

Update

I just bought one in 2017. We'll, received as a gift. I can tell you it works as advertised, works well with my horizontal drill mount and low buck Harbor Freight tool.

My accuracy is about the same as reported in the original review.

I get the need for the WFT, but I didn't buy the WFT2 as I only need to do 5.56 at light speed!
Old February 7, 2017, 09:17 PM   #5
burrhead

Well, a blast from the past. Since I’ve done about 10,000 cases by now I’ll do a follow up.

My technique has gotten to the place that I can hold to 0.01 +/- on the length. I’m on the third cutter and HIGHLY recommend using a carbide cutter and don’t buy them from WFT. It’s just a 3/8 end mill and you can get them from Amazon for about $16 instead of $25 plus shipping from WFT.

All in all I think they’re the bee’s knees if you’re reloading a lot of 223.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 8, 2017, 11:26 PM   #6
Nathan

Glad it's still working out!

It basically leaves no burr! Wow!

My accuracy in 100 cases, 10 or so measured is 1.744-1.750.
Old February 9, 2017, 01:42 AM   #7
supercub99

I have the Giraud and second schmellba99, the absolute best there is. The Giraud is very precise, trims in all dimensions, length, inside, and outside in one pass. They sell both a drill unit and a free standing powered unit. I have the latter and several shell holders along with three cal. cutters. Takes all of 2 min to change cal, 20 seconds if just the shell holder. I've not counted how many in a minute I can do but would guess 20+ or -.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:57 PM   #8
RC20

Yep, after SC99 got his Gerard I got the drill motor version.

In some ways I like the drill motor version better, though we are talking very minute differences.

Amend that, once I was forced to clamp the plug in drill in the Vice, that really made it work great.

That said, once you go past 4 cartridges, then the Gerard Motorized is the way to go. Pretty compact on the bench, easy to change per SC99.

The -WFT - is ok, but as noted, it does not chamber or de-burr.

Sure saves steps and its more accurate on both than a prep station by hand for sure.

There is one other one out there that does all 3, but its another 30 or 40 and I don't think it gets any better than the Gerard.