The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 28, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1
CarbineCaleb

Geezer Grapples, Gets Gun From Swaztika Scumbag

This is a story from this past summer that I came across by accident and thought some folks might like it also. In it, a young, strapping 6'1 escaped convict shoots and kills a corrections officer and rampages in a fast food restaurant before being disarmed by... an unarmed 5'6, 59 year old guy.

Here is a photo of our hero:

...and one of the apprehended convict:

...and here is the story:
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680194429,00.html
Old September 28, 2007, 11:23 PM   #2
armoredman

Yes, the Dept in question failed to follow many industry practices and guidelines, and needlessly exposed that officer to this risk. And, typical inmate, when caught, he was cowering in an office. Well done to the private citizen, great job. I certainly hope the Dept in question revamps thier transport procedures fast, before this happens again.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:10 AM   #3
CarbineCaleb

Mr. Fullerton, the gentleman pictured, did receive some throat wounds requiring suturing that the scumbag, Curtis Allgier inflicted with a free hand and a serrated knife as they wrestled for control of the gun... he is very fortunate Allgier didn't cut a carotid artery.

I still can't get over Eric Fullerton - that man has the heart of a lion, both in terms of courage as well as nobility, and obviously has some mean skills. You are right that mistakes were made at the hospital that led to the death of the officer and Allgier's escape. But it could have been a lot worse were it not for Eric Fullerton.

Mr. Fullerton is the little guy in brown at far right in this photo:
Old September 29, 2007, 12:30 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Always appreciative of alliteration.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbineCaleb
Geezer...59 year old guy.
Yikes, that guy is only about 18 months older than I am. Is that 'geezer' status?

I'd hate to be in a fight and have to rely on a kid playing a video game.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:54 AM   #6
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
Always appreciative of alliteration.
*lol* Have heard it never hurts to have a hook!

Quote:
Yikes, that guy is only about 18 months older than I am. Is that 'geezer' status?
Well, I am 48, so not far behind! Face it, 59 is easily old enough to be a grandpa. I certainly meant it more as humorous alliteration as John noted, but I know that I am not what I was at 25, nor do I know anyone my age who is. Biology happens *lol*. To me though, that makes Mr. Fullerton all the more remarkable in his actions - if you look at those two guys, and then add the gun and a hostage to Allgier, you say to yourself, you gotta be kidding me. But, without thinking at all of his own safety, he lept over the counter, took him on, and won.
Old September 29, 2007, 01:02 AM   #7
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbineCaleb
I certainly meant it more as humorous alliteration
No prob, so did I.

I do find something strange though, as I age. Going to the gym every morning I see that 'boomers are in better shape than their parents. I have started a conditioning regimen with a lifting buddy over the past few months and I continue to grow. But I remember when folks hit retirement age and got bent over and needed canes and walkers.

But if I knew I was going to live this long I definitely would have taken better care of myself.
Old September 29, 2007, 01:19 AM   #8
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
I do find something strange though, as I age. Going to the gym every morning I see that 'boomers are in better shape than their parents. I have started a conditioning regimen with a lifting buddy over the past few months and I continue to grow. But I remember when folks hit retirement age and got bent over and needed canes and walkers.
Well it sounds like you are doing better than I with the willpower then . I have certainly seen as you note that lifestyle makes a huge difference over the long haul. People who have led a difficult life and/or abused their bodies through other routes can have one foot in the grave at my age. On the other hand, some folks are able to be in better condition at 50 than the average person is at 25. Either luck of the genes or maintenance of the machine can really extend the "useful service life" of the old bod!
Old September 29, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
ActivShootr

I hope I am as mean as that guy when I am 59. Kudos to Mr. Fullerton.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:52 AM   #10
yarborg

He's got "old man strength"!

Have you ever noticed how strong some old men are? My grandpa's handshake felt like it could crush a rock. I was wrestling with my dad when I was about 16 yrs old. He is about 5'6 as well actually. Strong as an ox. I call it old man strength. Some kind of weird phenomenon but certainly real. This young punk never had a chance.
Old September 29, 2007, 09:10 AM   #11
armoredman

Many of our grandparents and parents did actual manual labor, not sitting in an office typing on a computer all day. My granfather walked a mile each day until he was 92, and passed away shortly after. He built hospitals in France during WWI, and was strong as an ox for 80 years. I never discount the old guys - some of them were the ones cutting through Pacific jungles with severed heads of Japanese soldiers hanging from thier tanks.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:36 PM   #12
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarborg
Strong as an ox. I call it old man strength.
I notice it, myself.

The really heavy lifters at my gym truly come into their own during their late thirties. However, the conventional wisdom says that men will begin to lose muscle mass after the age of 35. I do not notice that in the anecdotal evidence I have seen.

As I have stated, I got a new lifting partner a few months ago. We were in good shape, a tad heavy, and both of us were at a plateau. In fact, I was struggling in simply wanting to go to the gym.

I mentioned to my partner that the actors of "300" had a conditioning coach. This coach threw some bizarre training schedules at the actors, but they got into amazing shape. We decidied to do the same.

We now do cardio, perhaps a dozen machines, cable work, and tremendous amount of free weight bench presses--but in no particular order. A modern version of some of Joe Weider's principles.

I'm getting bigger, stronger, and yikes, I cannot wait to get to the gym. I walked out of the place last week so on fire I felt like a kid.

And food! My appetite has skyrocketed. I intend to sign off within a few minutes. I talked the wife into the Chinese buffet...
Old September 29, 2007, 01:53 PM   #13
MikeG

Quite a contrast between the two combatants. A Vietnam Vet Paratrooper versus a white supremacist. Mr Fullerton is clearly a much better man than Allgier.

And I've never seen a supremacist of any type who could prove their views by their own example.
Old September 29, 2007, 02:48 PM   #14
armoredman

I enjoy telling that "thier" side lost the war, and thier "hero" committed suicide.
"Hows it feel to be a loser, and let the whole world know?"
Old September 29, 2007, 08:20 PM   #15
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
The conventional wisdom says that men will begin to lose muscle mass after the age of 35
I do believe that is correct - without citing any formal medical studies, I know that competitive weightlifters last longer than other Olympic athletes, but not past their mid-30s.

This doesn't mean you can't be strong in later years. It does mean that your ultimate potential is lower, and if you are doing optimal nutrition and training at 25, you should see higher capabilities than you will at 50 doing the same things. But certainly the slacker/casual athlete at 25 can surpass that fitness decades later with dedicated exercise. The pessimist will look at these things and say - "Why bother, I am past my peak", while the optimist will say "Who cares? Better to be in fine shape at 50 than a wreck at 50".

While it's an old story, new research actually continues to show further benefits, such as improved mood, cognitive function, memory and learning - and that is at any age - results of improved circulation and neurogenesis. For those 40 and over, these benefits can slow the decline in mental function which is also a part of aging - just another side of the same coin.
Old September 30, 2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Remember too that the weak point in many people's "strength chain" is connective strength--which the older guys have had a LONG time to develop. This is strength that's very apparent in a wrestling or grappling situation, and also in a handshake.

Smaller guys who've worked a lot of wrestling, moving their bodyweight, or awkward lifts or long carries can often surprise much larger guys who are good with free weights designed to be lifted.
Old September 30, 2007, 10:47 AM   #17
Wildalaska

Im 52 in 19 days. Im smalll, weak and out of shape.

I know how to fight dirty

WildbiteeminthenadsthatalwaysshutsemupAlaska TM
Old September 30, 2007, 11:02 AM   #18
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
Face it, 59 is easily old enough to be a grandpa.
lmao...Hey now, be nice. I became a Grandpa the first time at 41. Now I have six grandkids, and I'm still a bit shy of 59.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:13 PM   #19
TyBryner

My Grandfather is 83 years old, I'm 31 and in decent shape, and I wouldn't dare try to take him in a fight. He's as strong as a freakin mule.

About the only advantage I'd have is speed. And I doubt that would be good enough.