The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 30, 2007, 12:13 AM   #26
Salazar Schlitz

I'd casually continue on to my unmarked black/white Crown Vic, whilst scanning for any other details that didn't look right. If they didn't stop by the time I got to my car, I'd assume they were either not following me in the first place, but I'd still keep a weapon handy.

A mall is somewhat of a public place, and it isn't uncommon to see other people traveling between the parking lot and building.
Old September 30, 2007, 01:17 AM   #27
teeroux

Quote:
It could be they are parked by you but just to be sure i would shoot them.
ROFL
Old September 30, 2007, 01:19 AM   #28
BamaBowtie

I actually have a tactic I use all the time. When leaving the store I always walk down the row BESIDE the one I parked in, if I am being followed I can cross over to see if they follow. If they don't follow I have something between us and in the process of crossing they should have had time to pass me. If they DO follow I would cross back, this is done to see if they follow again OR if they might split up to cover both rows. If they continue to follow or split up you now have reason to believe they mean you harm and can prepare for the encounter by dialing 911 and holding your finger on the "Call" button while reaching for your weapon with your strong hand (notice I said REACHING for and not DRAWING). If they approach, turn to face them and press send and anounce you have called the police, if they continue to advance anounce you are armed and demand they stop.

Last edited by BamaBowtie; September 30, 2007 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old September 30, 2007, 03:17 AM   #29
skeeter1

Does your car have the keychain "dongle" for unlocking the doors? It probably also has a panic button. PRESS IT! That's what it's there for, and it will probably work from ~50' away. I can't imagine the horn and flashing lights wouldn't discourage whoever was following you. The only downside I can think of is that now they'll know which car is yours. Still, I'd rather try that rather than pulling out the CCW until I felt I really had to, preferrably after I've gotten in the car and locked the doors. My two cents...
Old September 30, 2007, 03:20 AM   #30
MyXD40

Keyless entry is nice. But from the factory, Titan comes with a nice lil feature, press and hold unlock button, and windows roll down. Release the button and window stops right there. I always liked starting the truck with remote start, then doing the window thing, makes it look like someones in the truck
Old September 30, 2007, 11:03 AM   #31
jfrey123

Quote:
I always liked starting the truck with remote start, then doing the window thing, makes it look like someones in the truck
Ever find your self shouting into your keychain, "Come on KIT! I need ya buddy!" just to see if it might work? Sounds like a handy feature, but not sure how long the illusion is kept after someone actually looks in and sees empty seats

Joking aside, Tanzer said it best. Just gotta be aware when you're out and about. There are bad people in this world who intend to do bad things to others.
Old September 30, 2007, 11:38 AM   #32
MyXD40

lol well I might want to add, theres 15% tinted windows all the way around, and I only roll the windows down about 5 inches. So with the truck starting, and a small gap in the window, makes it look pretty dang real.

but yes, must always be aware!!I usualy start to freak out if the people are within 15 feet of me..too close for comfort!
Old September 30, 2007, 02:41 PM   #33
drinks

It does not have to be a garage, a mall parking lot or a big city.
I live in a town of 2500 pop. last year a 21 year old mugged an 80 year old in front of the supermarket in daylight, even after getting the man's wallet, the crackhead beat the old man badly enough he died a few months later from the lasting effects of the beating, so, it can happen to anyone, anywhere.
The reason if I have my pants on, I am armed.
You have to be watching, at least scanning the area, at all times.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:56 PM   #34
Tanzer

+1 drinks
CWP means condition yellow. This is NOT paranoid - not imminent threat around every corner - that's ORANGE. Condition YELLOW - awareness of surroundings. Think of it like this; You've got the Grim Reaper in a little steel bottle attached to your belt. You can't walk around without a care in the world. Nor can you go over to a punk (though you may want to) and say; "Hey, ask Santa for a belt this Christmas". Responsibility should be proportionate with power, and there's a lot of power in a Hydrashock.
Old September 30, 2007, 05:30 PM   #35
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
You come out from the mall and you head to the parking lot, two males are walking about twenty feet behind you, non have made a move, your car is twenty feet away and you are alone and armed. What would be your actions?
Just continue to my truck and stay alert as to what is going down around me. As the situation is described there is no obvious threat, just a typical trip to and from the mall, with other people walking to their cars too.
Old September 30, 2007, 05:44 PM   #36
rampage841512

I'd make a 90 degree turn to walk between a couple of parked cars and get a look at them. Depending on what I saw/thought at that point I'd probably continue on to my car while keeping an eye on them and keeping other vehicles between them and me. At this point I'd probably have a hand on or near my gun.

Hopefully at this point I'd just continue on to my car in a high state of alert, get in, lock the doors, and watch them walk past to their car.

If they tried closing the distance prior to my reaching my car I would loudly ask if I could help them. If my tone and question didn't stop them things start to get tricky. I haven't seen a weapon, but two on one is in my opinion a deadly threat. However, I don't know if the police or DA will see it that way. I'd probably be hesitant to use deadly force, which in turn would make me hesitant to draw my gun. If I felt threatened enough, I would, if I didn't, I wouldn't. Hell, as much as I don't like to say it I might very well run. However, if I chose to run and they gave chase I can almost certainly say the gun is coming into play at that point, hopefully after I find a nice big van or truck to duck behind.

A lot of my action would depend on my rating of these two men as a threat.
Old September 30, 2007, 06:43 PM   #37
JohnMcD348

If they are walking behind you at a distance of 20 feet(I know distance quickly overtaken........) and they have not made any move or acted in any manner to be intent on harming you, keep a keen eye out for them and scan the area to see any potential allies they may have waiting in the wings. If this does go down bad, aim for the closest one first, then carry on to the next.......

If not, then get into your car, see that the 2 gentelmen probably are getting into a vehicle on the same isle that you were parked on and thank God that you didn't have to do something to defend your life or the life of another that day.
Old October 1, 2007, 09:48 AM   #38
David Armstrong

Quote:
What would be your actions?
Continue going to my car. Perhaps tipping my head to acknowledge the men if they continue to my area. GOOD GRIEF!!!! Folks, it is a parking lot. There has been no indication of threat. If you are that scared of life, that frightened of the world, you have far bigger problems than a couple of guys behind you in a parking lot. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" is some pretty good advice.
Old October 1, 2007, 05:36 PM   #39
ghalleen

Quote:
GOOD GRIEF!!!! Folks, it is a parking lot. There has been no indication of threat. If you are that scared of life, that frightened of the world, you have far bigger problems than a couple of guys behind you in a parking lot.
Absolutely!

I think most people missed the point of the original question. You walk out of the mall, towards your car, and two guys are walking behind you... SO WHAT? This happens all the time. No one said they are carrying a gun, stick, knife, or appear to be threatening in any way. They are just walking behind you.

As you should always do, stay alert. That's all you need to do.
Old October 1, 2007, 05:39 PM   #40
threegun

Change directions just to make sure of their intentions.

Don't listen to those who would call you paranoid for recognizing a potential threat. What are a few extra steps to insure your safety?

Please David tell us just how does that lessen ones quality of life? How is this being "scared of life"?
Old October 1, 2007, 07:09 PM   #41
sw_florida

Under normal circumbstances

I wouldn't worry about two males walking twenty feet behind me at a mall, because malls are crowded and there are always people walking behind. If I felt they were fishy I would still not do anything radical, perhaps sharpen my hearing and lean my head over a bit to hear if they were closing in. If I felt that they had targeted me I would look over my shoulder to see if that was the case. If they had, I would try not to have them come closer. "Stop there," I would say. If they didn't, I hope I had had the precense to draw early enough before it was too late. Realistically.
Old October 1, 2007, 07:23 PM   #42
kgpcr

Ghallen
You are so right here! Alot of internet commando's here. If you want to really think Tactical join the Marines or the army as a rifleman. Every Marine is a rifleman so i did not include that statement with us Marines. Alot of Military wannabes here. If walking to your car in a mall with other people there makes you take evasive action you have a problem unless you are in a really bad part of town. Yes unfortuneatly things happen in good parts of town as well but the odds are greater than you winning the lottery than having a problem. I dont/ wont live if fear and getting all wound up over two guys in a parking lot with them not threatening you in any way then you are paranoid!
Smith M&P 40
Old October 1, 2007, 08:38 PM   #43
Avenger11

Oh, the tactical wannabe with a "parking lot strategy"! Pleeeease! Seems like some here have been over stimulated with movies and computer games!
What's next, my Thanksgiving at the in-laws strategy?
Old October 1, 2007, 09:22 PM   #44
kgpcr

Avenger
You laugh but when carving the trukey aunt Martha could go balistic with her carving knife. Thats why i will be carrying my .45 open (to try and dissuade her), a .357 snub on my ankle and a pocket pistol. I will also wear my Kevlar vest and helmet. I will also carry an extra mag for my .45, two speed loaders for my .357 and two mags for my pocket pistol. Aunt Martha is a tough old bird and with her carving knife who knows what will happen. I plan to be seated with my back against the wall. i also will try not to go to the bathroom as she may try and ambush me when i come out. i will only use the bathroom in the upstairs as i can get a glimpse down the hall with my tactical pocket mirror so i can see around the corner. I have no plans on being attacked and will be on Code orange! I do have a question. Should i bring my K-Bar in case it gets to hand to hand or should i feel safe with my hanguns? I am really torn no this one! The offer of a free Turkey dinner may just be a ploy to get me in her house and kill me. She has been doing it for 18 years just to get me to relax and let my guard down. One last question, If she gets within 21ft of me with her knife can i shoot her??
Smith M&P 40
Old October 1, 2007, 09:47 PM   #45
sw_florida

My Thanksgiving

will be spent with invited relatives who hold unknown motives to hurt me. First, I'm booby-trapped, dynamite strapped around my waist, in case they think they got me. The dynamite will be concealed by my tactical vest of army-green camouflage pattern. Seating myself on the fast escape chair, the chair nearest the front door, I will have the situation under control. My uzi rests on my lap under an extra big napkin throughout the serving. Whenever someone goes for the kitchen knife stuck in the juicy turkey I mentally move into code red, and in doing so I put on the army helmet. I then undo the hip holster strap in a concealed right-hand-move while coughing, drawing attention to my other hand by spreading turkey bones on the table top with it. When the kitchen knife is again put to rest in the turkey meat I return the holster strap over my tactical 8-shot S&W revolver by again coughing and drawing attention to my other hand, maybe by picking up mashed potatoes with it from my plate and throw it over the table. I then take the helmet off. The serving progresses in this fashion until I find a far-fetched reason to open fire. I then go out with a big bang, no matter what.
Old October 1, 2007, 11:15 PM   #46
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
What's next, my Thanksgiving at the in-laws strategy?
OK, that does take some planning. My inlaws live in Kansas and it seems they are, in one way or another, related to everyone in the county. Hell, that would almost be like the strangers at the mall, cause I can't remember who half of them are!!!
Old October 1, 2007, 11:26 PM   #47
kgpcr

Thunderhawk
My only advice is when in doubt shoot!! Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Kill them all and let God sort them out! One thing to Thunderhawk how do you know they are your inlaws it could be part of a conspiracy. Another reason to go armed to the teeth on code orange!! Maybe orange with a tint of red to it. I would be very careful and leery of all of them. Take a hand grenade or two to protect against a group attack! They work well around a kitchen table. One Grenade goes a long ways!
Smith M&P 40
Old October 1, 2007, 11:58 PM   #48
DougO83

geez...

unless they are rapidly approaching me, why would I care? Even then, who's to say they didn't get an emergency phone call and have to rush to their vehicle? I always keep an eye on people, but someone walking 20 feet behind me is not a huge threat in this scenario.

Matt 6:33
Old October 2, 2007, 08:36 AM   #49
Tanzer

Ever see the painting of the first Thanksgiving? I think the Pilgrim on the left is carrying concealed.
Old October 2, 2007, 11:23 AM   #50
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are a real hoot .

But... this has gone waaaay off topic and belongs on Comedy Central, not TFL.

Sorry folks, gonna have to close this one.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread