The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Dre_sa

Benelli M2 or M4?

So I'm saving up for a semi-auto shotgun. I have wanted a benelli for I don't know how long. I remember seeing one in a gunstore many moons ago, and it fit like a glove. I found out it was an M1 super 90. Since they dont produce those anymore, I'd like to go with the best option available. Primary use will be HD and fun at the range, maybe competition somewhere down the line.

Here are the differences I've been able to find so far.

for the M4:
gas operated
able to cycle a wider range of ammunition
built tough
plain awesome

for the M2:
inertia operated
different barrels
cleaner
cheaper

I have read many reports of the M2 being ammo sensitive, due to the inertia system. I understand the M4 likes high power loads too, but it can function on a wider variety of ammunition available.

I understand as well that the gas operated system runs dirtyier than the inertia, due to the gas being re-directed into the action. I'm not too terribly concerned about this, as I enjoy cleaning.

for some reason I have had trouble finding accessories for the M2 online. I think accessories for the M4 are more available because of this. Or maybe there are just more for the M4.

I've had a look at the FN SLP and the Mossberg 930 as well, but I really want a benelli of my own, so I can love it and stroke it, shoot it and clean it.

Im leaning towards the M4, not for any good reason, I just like it better.

So am I missing anything in the comparison of the two?
Anything else I need to consider?
Which would you get between the two of them?
Old July 10, 2010, 10:28 PM   #2
noyes

Sounds like your minds made up for the most part.
Buy the Benelli because............. it sounds like the one you will shoot the most. Practice , practice and shoot some more.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Zak Smith

I've seen scores of M1S90's and M2S90's in 3Gun competition and a few M4's. Provided the loads are 1 1/8 oz or heavier, the M1/M2's seem less ammo sensitive than the M4. We had a local guy try to get his M4 working for ages and the solution was to shoot a certain type of ammo, and avoid others (within the 1 1/8 oz or heavier rule).

If buying a new shotgun, I would buy a M1/M2S90 without question. But my M1S90 from 2003 is still working great.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
mathman

I concur with Zak...I've had 2 M1S90s and 2 M2S90s and all functioned flawlessly. The recoil is a little less on the M2 (vs the M1) due to the comfortech stock. Benelli M1s and M2s are just fabulous shotguns...I really like them and I have had a lot of different types of shotguns before reaching this conclusion.

They function very well even if dirty...but still look better when they are clean...so if you enjoy cleaning, go for it!!
Old November 3, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Airborne Falcon

I guess when I read this I kept wondering to myself, why omit the M3?

I mean I own all three, M2, M3 and M4 and here's the deal imho.

The M4 is the only one that has been the least been ammo sensitive for me - and that meaning that it would rather be fed the biggest baddest hottest ammo you can feed it ... and if you follow that rule, all you have to do is keep feeding it and pulling the trigger. I load hot magnum 2 3/4" stuff especially for mine - factory wise I recommend 3" mags and nothing else.

But my M3 is my personal defense shotty of choice - although I do love the M4 ... and the M2 would be my last choice.

Old November 3, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
BrthrB

I have had nothing but positive experiences with all of my M 1's. I have 4 total. 1 for duty, 1 for upland / waterfowl, 1 scoped for deer and another for good measure.

They have been completely reliable with whatever I have fed them!

No experience with the M 4
Old November 3, 2010, 06:04 PM   #7
TheGoldenState

I have the M2 and M4

The M2 is stellar. NEVER an issue. Ive fed it a WIDE arrange of ammo, different sizes and different loads, with NEVER a hitch.

THE M4-camo, i waited over a year to get when they first came out. It sits unshot as of yet
Old November 4, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
hardhat harry

My choice for you....M4

If it is as sweet a shooter as my M3 Super 90 then you WILL be happy.
Old March 31, 2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Airborne Falcon

So Dre ... which one did you invest in? Show us some pics.

Since this thread I've also come to appreciate the FN SLP since the birth of this thread.