The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Hello123

Savage model 14 bases?

Do you all know a good weaver style base and the proper size (i.e. ordering number) for this base? All of the bases I have run across are listed for the pre-accutrigger style.
Old March 12, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Glockster35

Check MidwayUSA

Basically anything that will fit any of the double digit rifles (10-16 Short actions) will fit your rifle.

Anything with three digits (110-116 Long Actions) will not fit.
Old March 12, 2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Hello123

I wanted to add this reply in case it can help any future shooters...

All short action Accue trigger Savage rifle use the same bases...10-12-14-16...my advise is to use Burris 2 pc turn in style with Burris Signature rings....very solid set up...rings with plastic inserts will not mar the scope tube....with these bases you'll have external windage adjustment....Burris does also make Sig Zee rings used on Weaver type bases...just be sure bases are for "Round receiver'..Accue trigger.
Burris bases # 210246......rings # 420501

I should have a doctorate on this topic by now as I have spent about 5 hours researching it on the net. I figured out that you can get leupold quick release set up in matte finish, burris dual dovetail bases in matte with signature rings in gloss, warne weaver style bases (all steel) model #902 in any finish (use the model 902 for front and rear), and any number of weaver style rings including warne, leupold prw's, and others to use on the weaver base. I chose the burris set up as it should be stable and the lines of the rings seemed to be more complimentary to a rifle that wears "dress clothes" like the American classic model 14. I did not like the tacticle appearing rings. Also, leupold makes the traditional redfield set ups, but I have not enjoyed them in the past, because the windage screws are one more thing to work loose. Basically, when you are looking for rings look for the round receiver models versus the flat, and note that the round receivers come with the accutrigger models.