The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Boots'56

Old Powder Disposal

I have about a pound of 700-X that's close to 35 years old. What's the best way to get rid of it? Sprinkle it in the yard?
Old June 12, 2008, 10:23 PM   #2
kamerer

I read a section of a Winchester book that recommended piling it loosely in a mound, trickle a line to it like an in old western, and light it. It will burn off easily. Remember, it's a "propellant" - not an explosive. It only causes a serious bang when under pressure - out in the open it just burns (I've tested this myself, not just a rumor!).

But seriously, if it's been stored properly, it should still be fine to use, unless you see it looking funky or smelling of ammonia. They are stable compounds with very long shelf-lives. If you seriously don't want it and are near by, heck, I'll try reloading it just for an experiment!
Old June 12, 2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Shoney

If it still smells good, shoot it up. I have some that I purchased in 1966 and still dip into it on occasion.

If it has an acrid smell, just use it like you would fertilizer. Sprinkle it on lawn or garden.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 12, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Incognito

According to legend, the French taste for horse meat dates from the Battle of Eylau in 1807, when the surgeon-in-chief of Napoleon's Grand Army, Baron Dominique-Jean Larrey, advised the starving troops to eat the flesh of dead battlefield horses. The cavalry used breastplates as cooking pans and gunpowder as seasoning, and thus founded a tradition.

Let us know how it tastes.

Last edited by Incognito; June 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old June 13, 2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Doyle

Sprinkle it all over your garden. The components make good fertilizer.
Old June 13, 2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Sevens

Burning it in a pile works and is harmless enough, but don't burn it on any sidewalk or driveway you care about, because it will scorch it and leave a burn mark that will last a year or more.

Whenever I have leftover powder from a session or from pulled ammo (usually a dixie cup worth or less), I simply toss it in the yard.

But yeah-- if it's close to a pound, I would give it a go in some loads, it may very well still be good enough to use. I would stay away from maximum loads as it seems many/most powders were blended a little differently in days gone by.
Old June 13, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
armoredman

Goes on the trees.
Old June 13, 2008, 10:33 AM   #8
The Lovemaster

Burn, baby, burn! There's no better and "funner" way to get rid of powder than to burn it! Especially a pound, sounds like fun!
Old June 13, 2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Whisper 300

Unless it smells of acrid ammonia, load up a few of whatever is appropriate and see what gives.
I too have uses Red Dot that was from the late 60's- the 38's I shot never knew the difference.

Gary
Old June 13, 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
wncchester

Over 35? Does that mean I have to quit using my WWII surplus H-4831?

But, it shoots so GOOD!
Old June 13, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Shoney

Quote:
electrikladyland wrote:
According to legend, the French taste for horse meat dates from the Battle of Eylau in 1807, when the surgeon-in-chief of Napoleon's Grand Army, Baron Dominique-Jean Larrey, advised the starving troops to eat the flesh of dead battlefield horses. The cavalry used breastplates as cooking pans and gunpowder as seasoning, and thus founded a tradition.
Remember that gunpowder back then was sulphur, charcoal, and saltpeter! If the legend is true,
What do you suppose the effects of the saltpeter was on the virility of the troupes??????????

Did this practice ultimately lead to the defeat of the French forces?????????????

Additionally, if it continued, might that explain why Hitler’s invasion was unopposed?????????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 13, 2008, 12:05 PM   #12
DEDON45

My stepdad used a very old lot of Unique to light the grill a few times...

Spread it in the yard ... if it's turned... if not, load it up.