The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2009, 09:38 AM   #1
ZeroJunk

Synthetic Stock Question

I need a synthetic stock for a Winchester Model 70. I would put this in the rifle forum, but you usually get this is best because it's what I have.

From people who install them, is there $300 difference between a B&C and a McMillan? Is there a $100 difference between a McMillan and a HS Precision? Is it in stiffness, cosmetics, fit, or is it more name only?
Old April 10, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Scorch

I build rifles in fiberglass stocks all the time, and I would never use an injection-molded stock for anything, and I would never recommend anyone pay $700 for an injection-molded stock. If you want the true benefit of synthetic, get a fiberglass stock. Now, they are not drop-in, they do not have pretty checkering, and they are not ready-to-hunt, but with a minimum of effort and care, you can have a fantastic stock, not just a fancy name. Lots of smiths are making very nice rifles with fiberglass stocks.

HS Precision: Pros- aluminum bedding block; Cons- brittle injection-molded foam.
MacMillan: Pros- good warranty, good selection of colors, offer "drop-in" stocks; Cons- expensive, heavy, injection-molded.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:44 AM   #3
ZeroJunk

Thanks Scorch. I looked at the fiberglass manufacturers such as Brown Precision. Can't make myself spend that much. This is not going to be an expensive project. Just a working rifle that I will leave in the farm truck most of the time. I decided to try the B&C with the aluminum stiffening rail. It's only a little over $200. Sounds like it should cure some of the forend flex problems. We'll see.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Bart B.

Zerojunk, some folks putting synthetic stocks on their hunting rifles have widened the barrel channel so the fore end wouldn't touch them. But some folks didn't and their accuracy oft times went to Pittsburg.

Winchester tried the same thing on some of their Model 70's but customers didn't like that big space between barrel and fore end; those versions didn't sell very well.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Bolosniper

I also build rifles for a living and use Bell & Carlson Medalist style stocks in every model rifle we build except for the solid bottom single shot varmint rifle (Manners Composite Stocks), and the mountain rifle (MPI Stocks), and both are primarily made of carbon fiber which is incredibly rigid and lightweight compared to any other stock making material.

The Bell & Carlson Medalist style stocks, like the HS Precision stocks, have a full length aluminum chassis with an integrated receiver bedding block, and are injection molded. The quality, durability, and weight of the Bell & Carlson Medalist style stocks are comparable to the HS Precision stocks, but their lead time, even for large orders (25 plus), with us has been about 21 days from the order being placed to the stocks being delivered by UPS.

Both McMillan and HS Precision are at best 6 months, and I waited over a year for an HS Precision non-adjustable Tactical model stock with a length of pull that was 2 inches longer than the production version. That kills your lead time to the customer, and slows down your production.
[URL=http://www.mpirifles.com]