The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 12, 2007, 06:16 PM   #1
submaniac

Is $200 NFA tax per firearm or per feature? & Can you use Suppressor on another gun?

Hi, I am completely new to the NFA as living in California it was really difficult to obtain these items. However, having bought a house in Nevada (which is much more amenable to NFA), I was thinking of getting into NFA firearms and I had two questions. I was toying with the idea of getting an AR-15 and adding a suppressor/silencer for it it. I know I have to pay the $200 fee and get the tax stamp, but is the tax stamp does that cover the entire weapon, or just the suppressor. Basically if I wanted to have a SBR AR, would I have to pay $400 ($200 for the suppressor + $200 for having an SBR) or would it just be $200 for the entire firearm. The second question is, if you get a suppressor, are you stuck using it only on the firearm you register it, or can you use the suppressor on another firearm? For example if I get an AR-10 in 308, get the suppressor (& pay the tax stamp), could I use the suppressor on my .308 bolt action as well? Or am I stuck only using the suppressor only on the AR? Thanks for the help.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Legion2600

Its 200 per item. 200 for the suppressor and 200 for the SBR. You could get away with one stamp if the suppressor was permanetly attached to the short barreld upper and the total length was 16" or greater.

If you just pay the taxes for the suppressor & SBR you can move the suppressor to any other firearm whenever you want.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
You could get away with one stamp if the suppressor was permanetly attached to the short barreld upper and the total length was 16" or greater.
Length doesn't have to be 16" in this case. My MP5SD upper is registered on one tax stamp as a "SBR/Suppressor". Lower (married sear) on another tax stamp as a machinegun.

NRA Life Member