The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 23, 2012, 06:32 AM   #176
Sparks1957

Quote:
We can choose to lay down and let our rights be stripped or we can get involved and fight to retain them
No...we are NOT simply screwed
No we are not screwed (yet), so get off your butt and do something to help. Contribute to the NRA, write your congressmen and senators, but do something.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:32 AM   #177
mayosligo

Simply, this is no time to give up. This is exactly the time to stand up. This what the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the bill of rights.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:24 PM   #178
Webleymkv

Would Speaker of the House Boehner not have the power to prevent a gun control bill from coming to a vote in the House and thus kill it? If so, that may be beneficial to us because Boehner seems to have a good record on 2A issues.

http://www.ontheissues.org/OH/John_B...rm#Gun_Control
Old December 23, 2012, 04:19 PM   #179
Broony

December 23rd

Quote:
The National Rifle Association made clear Sunday it will not budge on its opposition to any new gun laws, despite heated criticism of the organization's response to the Connecticut school massacre.
Quote:
"I know there's a media machine in this country that wants to blame guns every time something happens," he said, adding, "I know there's an anti-Second Amendment industry in this town."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/22/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old December 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #180
mayosligo

I am not sure how to feel about these two articles. If this is the next course of action by the liberal media it may not be as bad as we think because this is pretty pathetic. Gun owners are either not confident in their manhood or that are fearful racists.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/opinio...ood/index.html

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/201...omment-page-1/
Old December 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #181
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
and further attempts at gun control would be political suicide at the mid term elections after this gun hysteria dies down.
Under normal situations I would agree. However, the vultures in the news media continue to pick the meat from the bones of the Newtown Connecticut shooting. They have their claws firmly sunken in, and aren't going to let up until they get some sort of gun control. And now, after Boehner has shown such a weakness in leadership, I'm not sure the pro-second amendment conservatives can keep it together enough to stop Obama's attack on the second amendment.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Al Norris; December 23, 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed invective
Old December 23, 2012, 05:19 PM   #182
JWT

Cheapshooter is correct about the media. They are carrying on about gun control at a level I cannot ever remember. The last election showed the power of the media when they decide to back something or someone. People need to keep sending well written letters, against knee jerk legislation, to their local newspaper to help negate the media as much as possible.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:20 PM   #183
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Today, the 23rd of Dec. on Meet the Press, Wayne defends his speech of Fri.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/...83353#50258940

He stood firm, despite the many attempts to draw the conversation into gun control. For that, I applaud him.

A new wrinkle in the magazine limitations was uttered by David Gregory. You had to be paying attention to have heard it. Five round magazine restrictions was uttered, then quickly changed to 10 rounds...

This was not mentioned again, but it was news to me that the anti-gun crowd (and make no mistake, David Gregory is part of the anti-gun crowd) wanted such a restrictive limit.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:28 AM   #184
Glenn E. Meyer

Heard a congressional expert today (whatever that means) say that he doubts any draconian AWB or mag limt will even be brought up in the House after the new Congress is seated. Doubts 60 votes exist in the Senate. The emotional rush will fade.

I think I agree. The anti forces will overreach - you say folks like Gov. Cuomo preaching mandatory confiscation. Politcos will start to worry about re-election and primary challenges. 2014 isn't far off for Congress.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:51 AM   #185
Webleymkv

Quote:
Heard a congressional expert today (whatever that means) say that he doubts any draconian AWB or mag limt will even be brought up in the House after the new Congress is seated. Doubts 60 votes exist in the Senate. The emotional rush will fade.

I think I agree. The anti forces will overreach - you say folks like Gov. Cuomo preaching mandatory confiscation. Politcos will start to worry about re-election and primary challenges. 2014 isn't far off for Congress.
I agree with Glenn. While the pundits and usual suspects are screaming bloody murder, President Obama and Congressional Democrats from "swing" districts seem to be approaching the issue much more tentatively than we'd have expected them to in the past. This tells me that they still feel that gun control is a prickly, if not outright poison, issue that they only want to support so far. Also, even if you don't agree with everything they do, the NRA is a formidable political force that rightly instills fear in Democrats that aren't from far-left leaning districts. I still can't get past the feeling that the President and many in his party are trying to pay lip service to the base with the intention of letting any new gun control legislation die quietly in committee.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #186
JimDandy

Quote:
A new wrinkle in the magazine limitations was uttered by David Gregory.
Was that at the point where he may have violated DC law by possessing a large capacity magazine on national television?
Old December 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #187
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Yup.