The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
andywren

9mm Luger Ammo

I know this is a redundant question, but I am trying to find 9mm P95 ammo. All locals are "Out of stock", as well as all the online sites. Any suggestions ?
Old March 20, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
zincwarrior

Just keep your eye out for awhile. I think things are starting to crack. I've been tracking austion prices for .22s on Gunbroker and the prices have fallen for the last three weeks.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Yeah: suffer like the rest of us.

It (and many other calibers) is in very great dmand and short supply since the Newtown tragedy -- because many people assume gun bans with related ammo cutbacks are coming.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 20, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: To add a smiley so that the joke is clearer
Old March 20, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
alex2008

I found out that my local Gander Mountain gets their shipments in on Monday and Wednesday usually. So if I can get there around 2-3:00 I have been having good luck getting 9mm and .22lr ammo
Old March 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

While shipments are coming in, many dealer are LIMITING the number of boxes sold per customer (at least "per day,") so that everybody can get some ammo.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:29 PM   #6
carguychris

Start visiting your local Walmart when the sporting goods department is being restocked. This usually occurs between 7:30-9am, the same time I am on my way to work. Most Walmart locations have now imposed a 3-box or even 1-box daily limit per customer, so the first person who gets there usually can't clean them out.

If your local laws allow it, keep in mind that cartridges for guns you don't own can be bartered at the next gun show for the cartridges you want. .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .22LR, and virtually all common auto pistol cartridges (9mm, 40, 380, and 45) are all highly desirable.

I too am anxiously awaiting relief from the shortage, but this has worked well for me in the interim.

Last edited by carguychris; March 20, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old March 21, 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
thinktwice

It seems like everyone is in the same boat right now. But I think the gun and ammo situation will be getting better soon. From what I have been able to keep up with, things are not looking real positive for the anti-guns folks as it stands. With the exception of certain States trying to do their own thing.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
UtahHunting

Andy, what I have found is you just need to be consistent in looking...at least around here. If I am consistent in checking the walmarts, and local sporting good shops I will generally find the cheap 9mm. As somebody else has mentioned most shops around here are limiting 2-3 boxes, but I have been able to build up 250 rounds over the past 2 weeks.

22 on the other hand.......well lets not go there.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

I've got a modest supply of ammo on hand right now, and absolutely REFUSE to spend a lot of time and GAS trying to pick up 2-3 boxes here or there. If I'm out and near a place that sells ammo, I'll check it, but I won't make special trips.

Unless you've got an really GOOD economy car, you'll be spending $.15 - $.25 a mile just getting to the shop and back.

I'll (sadly) shoot less and wait...
Old March 21, 2013, 08:47 AM   #10
KyJim

I was in Walmart over the weekend (we grocery shop there) and was surprised to see a 100 count box of WWB ammo. First 9mm I had seen there in a long time. I bought the one box they had but passed up several boxes of Tula 9mm there. I had to stop by again on Monday and the Tula was gone.

Like others, I try to keep enough ammo on hand so that, with judicious use, I can ride out these runs on ammo.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Skitter

I have been slowly building up my stock, I would like to get to 1000rds of pistol ammo and 200+ rifle for now. Issue is finding .30-30 ammo, damn near impossible, so I save my money so I can start reloading
Old March 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12
+1k ammo

Good thing I reload and have some stock because even supplies are low.

Last weekend at Bass Pro - was passing by and the family loves to have dinner there, so I looked up in the gun department just for a chance and they had.....absolutely nothing!

(for handguns that is)
no ammo (one box of .22 long range or something wierd)
no primers (one box of rifle primer)
no powder
no handguns

nothing!

Ok, they did have a few guns on display, but 75% were gone. Plenty of rifles though.

I can wait, but on another note, i honestly thing that the reduced crime (homicide) rate in Chicago is due to this ammo shortage! The bigs willl never agree with me, but someone should really look into this. February murders in Chicago were wayyyyyy down!
So what does that mean? I don't know. Regulate the gas, not the car. You can buy any car in the world, but it won't go very far without gas. Same with guns.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

Really no need to overpay, so if you don't need it, pass on it.

I go to the range and their limit on reloads has went up per person, and they have shelf ammo with no limit.

The 556 ammo @ another place i go is still limited to 2 boxes but the have unlimited 40 s&w and .380 in stock as well.

The ammo is there but they turn their phone off because of too many people calling. The guy that works there said too many people were calling about ammo and found they had plenty and tie the workers and the phone up.

Now that the fear of running out has subsided a lot, they have enough ammo.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
-Xero-

Let me add to the whining --

I searched "Cheaper Than Dirt" yesterday for ammo, not because I need any, but out of curiosity about the "hoarding" and shortages.

For a lot of legitimate reasons, I haven't been shooting in a few years. I'm thinking about getting seriously back at it -- along with fly fishing in the boonies.

I have thousands of rounds, in all sorts of popular calibers: Revolver, Semi-Auto, Rifle, Shotgun -- .32 ACP to .458 Win. Mag. A wall in the gun room stocked with reloading components and ammo.

What I discovered is that even if I have it, I don't want to shoot it because I may not be able to resupply. That and the $85 case of Wolf ammo (1,000 rds) I bought for the AK is currently selling for about $750 IF YOU CAN FIND IT.

I'm not paying $00.75 per round to shoot an AK-47 (and the ammo is not re-loadable.)

Never mind what it's going to cost to shoot .308 Win. 30-06 Spfd, or gawd forfend .458 Win. Mag.

I can't afford to go out in the boonies and shoot up what I have. Can't afford it.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:46 PM   #15
southjk

The ammo is out there. Since Jan I've stocked up on 22lr (2500), 38 (500) and 9mm (1500). I've been using www.gunbot.net predominately. It auto refreshes when it finds a new listing and will "ding" also. I have it open all day at work and when something shows up that fits my price per round goal then I buy. You have to be quick though because others are doing it too and it goes really fast. Just this morning I scored 500 rds of 9mm for .27 a round.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #16
ScottRiqui

I was in Wal-Mart the other day, and they had two boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm, with no one hovering around the ammo counter. I didn't need any so I left it there, but the encouraging thing is that that wasn't first thing in the morning; it was 1 or 2 pm on a Saturday. Hopefully this means that the ammo is going to start sticking around.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
CurlyQ.Howard

Sometimes it's just dumb luck. I had to take my wife out 45 miles of town to meet her sister, so afterwards I stopped at a nearby gun store to look at a Para 5.56. Low and behold, they were putting 9mm practice ammo on the shelves.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:24 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Beat the bush...

It's a major pain for regular gun owners/armed professionals.

Just keep your ear to the ground. And your peepers peeled, .

CF
www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.midwayusa.com www.shopcorbon.com www.drtammo.com www.buffalobore.com
www.sgammo.com www.gilbertsguns.com
Old March 21, 2013, 08:28 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Wow. I hadn't really looked at the availability of 9mm until tonight. As I don't own a 9mm, there wasn't really any need to.

Wow.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #20
745SW

Local Big5 a handful of folks were waiting for the store to open to get ammo. No 9mm, 5.56 or 22LR. The only person who got was 40S&W.

Turner's Spring flier has no ammo listed except shotshells.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Seven High

My local Big R has a decent supply of 45acp target ammo. The cheapest was WW white box at $50.00 for 100 rounds. Nothing else was in stock. Sigh.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:26 AM   #22
Buckdown

cheapest will be like Walmarts for small quantities when you can get it
Old April 9, 2013, 08:40 AM   #23
lamarw

I am so bored by not having to search for ammo to the point I am thinking about buying a firearm I don't have ammo for just so I can join you guys in your agony.

I have plenty of 9mm and even more makings for new reloads. I really feel for you poor souls.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:44 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

This one looks like another one for which referral to The "Where is everything?" thread is appropriate.