The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 3, 1999, 08:07 AM   #1
cornered rat

Went to the range with a friend yesterday. Three months ago he, with my help, got a 4" S&W Model 10, rather an old one. Yesterday he fired, it for the first time. He liked it, though I saw a little flinching.

Since the gun has fixed sights, we tried a variety of ammo. At 7 yards, all weights were right on horizontally. 158gr Blazers were *high* by as much as 3" or 4". 130gr UMC here just about to point of aim and 110gr Remington JHP were pretty close. All rounds went through the same hole if we did our part. The trigger was nice and recoil slight. My friend got very lucky, I think. Now he is considering getting a rifle. His daughter wanted to come along, but couldn't...next time, maybe.

Tried my 686 again and found double action to be a little creepy. I also fired prematurely in single action several times, so now I know what not to do under stress. 686 is accurate! I had some 125gr UMC JSP which were fine. The surprise came with Blazer .357 JSP. The lead on those looked a bit rough, yet accuracy exceeded UMC's. The 158gr JSP (which I fired as a test for JHP: I picked up some of each at $10 and $11/box respectively) were accurate and had less flash and muzzle blast. They grouped higher than 125gr but not by much at all. Extraction with aluminum cases was no different from brass. "Flying ashtrays" in 158gr look very good to me. Found that leaning forward, similar to stance for machine pistols, helps a great deal in being steady witht he large front-heavy revolver *and* with recovering from recoil.

A guy who turned out to be a major fan of my posters (small world) let me try his 9mm Hi-Point carbine. He also had a Wilson COmbat 1911, so Hi-Point was a toy for him. I was *very* pleasantly surprised. The carbine balances well, aperture sights are easy to use (at 10m all of my bullets went into the same hole) and the recoil is slight. The gun runs $130-160, spare 10-rd magazines are $17.50. While I am no fan of pistol-caliber carbines, I had toyed with the idea of getting a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 or a Ruger. Having fired them all in 9mm, I'd have to say that the Hi-point won on handling, weight (the Ruger is HEAVY), sights, amount of recoil (that Ruger had a major slam from the bolt) and price ($160 vs. $350+ for the Marlin). Hi-Point is a pain to take down, but the guy whose gun I used and another person present said that spraying Gun Scrubber in does most of the cleaning. I am not sure how durable it is, but for a low-maintenance, low recoil/noise/learning curve house gun, it rates pretty high with me. One other point, a weird left-side bolt handle reminiscent of an MP40 .

I also fired a S&W49. 158gr grouped slightly high and much to the right. 130gr grouped level and to the right. 110gr grouped level and *slightly* to the right (and has serious muzzle flash). Recoil was surprisingly easy in spite of thin spindley wooden grips. 49 has fixed sights, the rear being a channel and front seemed machined into the barrel rib. Is it possible at all to get it adjusted to correct point of impact? I can stick to 110 grain ammo which is close if not right on, but I'd prefer to have a solution to the sight issue and use 130 or 158 grain JHP. Point shooting with it is aeasy and accurate. Double action is heavy but veeeery smooth, with a definite click-stop for trigger cocking and no creep after that.

------------------
Cornered Rat

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited September 03, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited September 03, 1999).]