The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1
TXGunNut

Cast 45 Colt hunting loads

May be wrong area, maybe not. My backup while hog hunting is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It likes the Hornady 300gr jacketed bullets but I would like to load some heavy flat-point cast bullets for it. I think I'll be using smokeless powder. May play on the range a bit with BP but when I need it I don't want to shoot thru a cloud of smoke for a second shot.
And yes, big hogs do run both ways! Had two close calls last year and only strapped on the Ruger after the first one. Marlin Guide Gun served me well but would have preferred the Ruger over the .45ACP I was packing @ the time.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
jmortimer

A LBT style hard cast bullet in your Blackhawk will shoot through most any creature at modest velocities 1,000 to 1,300 fps. The wide meplat will do the job. I know they are expensive but like anything else you get what you pay for but I would consider either Beartooth Bullets or Penn bullets.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
http://www.pennbullets.com/
The Penn Thunderhead looks like a winner and also they make a DEWC 225 grain that would work as well. Can't wait to do some testing with both. I like plain base bullets and most of the Beartooth bullets are gas checked but they do have a devestating 300 grain WFN LBT and a 255 grain WFN hard cast plain base. Since I use Unique powder and Lee powder dippers I use 9.2 grains of Unique for around 950 to 1,000 fps. That would be plenty but you can always load up a hotter round as hogs are nothing to mess around with. Remember with hard cast hunting bullets it is all about the meplat.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
herb

Similar question?? Does anyone know who still makes a 220 gr .456 Conical bullet for ROA's. Buffalo did but has discontinued. Thanks
Old March 28, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Guess I should mention I'm actually looking for a bullet mold recommendation. I'm new to bulletcasting but my products are already better than anything I've found on a shelf or online. If it doesn't pass visual inspection and a weight check it goes back in the pot. Commercial loaders don't get to be so picky, I guess. I do like the 300 gr Bear Tooth bullet, even has wide grooves suitable for blackpowder lubes.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:13 PM   #5
jmortimer

These are the best molds you can buy and are made by the man himself, Veral Smith, the inventor of Lead Bullets Technology.
http://lbtmoulds.com/
Old March 28, 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Hawg

I like Lee molds. They seldom need sizing and are sprueless. I use them with homemade lube for bp and smokeless and they work very well. Come with handles too. Midway has best prices.
Old March 28, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7
TXGunNut

Been hearing about LBT. Cool site, will be back. Lee molds seem very popular as well. I have a couple of Lymans so far, very impressive machine work.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Sarge

Best single source of sane heavy 45 Colt loads, I have seen.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm
Old March 29, 2010, 12:43 AM   #9
TXGunNut

Thanks, Sarge! Haven't given Linebaugh's work a second thought in years. Forgot that so much of his early work was with Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt. Wow!
Old March 29, 2010, 06:12 PM   #10
robhof

robhof

I have a couple of LBT molds, none yet for my b/p, but in the near future. They're a dream to cast with and made to you specs. He sells a kit of pure lead slugs that you push through your barrel to get an exact size and either measure or send him the slug. His flat nose ROA mold casts great hunting slugs, a friend has one and I borrow it to cast a batch occasionally, they're as accurate as the balls in my ROA.