The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2009, 11:17 AM   #26
Smokin_Gun

Like I said many posts ago, it's legal to ship C&B and BP Gun to & from CA.
Hell I been here since 1974 in and around L.A. - I otta know :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 14, 2009, 11:43 AM   #27
CaptainCrossman

lawyer #2 just replied, with correction, quote:

"No you appear to be correct."
Old May 14, 2009, 04:04 PM   #28
whosyrdaddy

Noise deleted

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; May 14, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Violation of TFL Rule against personal attacks
Old May 14, 2009, 05:07 PM   #29
CaptainCrossman

perhaps you can explain the following- why almost no one will ship a pistol of any type to Michigan then, not even a BB gun or air gun, without a signed waiver, or unless you ship to an FFL, or not at all

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9010715

Payment and Shipping Instructions:
THIS IS AN ANTIQUE FIREARM UNDER FEDERAL LAW: NO FFL REQUIRED IN MOST STATES: YOU MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO PURCHASE THIS FIREARM: YOU MUST PROOVE AGE WITH COPY OF VALID DRIVERS LICENSE OR STATE I.D SHOWING AGE & RESIDENCE ALONG WITH SIGNED STATEMENT STATING THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS FOR YOU TO OWN THIS FIREARM: SELL TO U.S.A. ONLY! : I WILL NOT SELL TO RESIDENTS OF THE FOLLOWING LIST OF CITIES AND STATES: CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, HAWAII, ILLINOIS, MASSACHUSETTS, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK:

Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...293&hasJS=true

tem notes
ALL gun orders placed from or shipped to Illinois, Michigan or Washington, MUST be placed through the Catalog Gun Department by calling 1-800-237-4444 ext 132; available Monday-Friday 7am-8pm and Saturday 8am-5pm (Central Time).

SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY

North American Arms

http://www.naaminis.com/bpform.pdf

and many, many more- everyone actually, mentions Michigan as a "bad" state to ship to

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 14, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:10 PM   #30
CaptainCrossman

thread on the subject- Michigan

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-pistols-2302/

0-15-2007, 04:24 PM #1 (permalink)
T3-M4

Default ffl for blackpowder pistols?
Does anyone know if you need an FFL in michigan for blackpowder pistols?
T3-M4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 AM #2 (permalink)
synoil

I also need this information or where to find it.
Thanks,
Craig
synoil is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 AM #3 (permalink)
9mmHP

From what I've read elsewhere, yes, Michigan surprisingly is one of the very, very few states that requires this.
9mmHP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 PM #4 (permalink)
Ed21

Not that any of the other responses are incorrect, I would not trust legal questions to be answered on a forum. Go to the specific web site for the State concerned and look up that State's firearms laws. This should keep you out of trouble most of the time. Good luck.
Ed21 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 PM #5 (permalink)
RL357Mag
Supporting Member

In most states you can purchase black powder handguns without a permit, as well as ball, cap, and powder. The catch-22 is that while you may be able to legally posess the gun and all components, in NY atleast, you cannot shoot it without a Permit. Many Police agencies are not even clear on the laws governing BP. Check your local Gov. website, but for the time being err on the side of caution and assume you cannot.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
RL357Mag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 AM #6 (permalink)
Slickrick214

Michigan along with New Jersey, Illinois and California is just another Commie state with idiotic gun laws. Call the local police station and ask them about gun laws in your area.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:13 PM   #31
CaptainCrossman

another

DrDanke
March 5th, 2004, 10:27 PM
I was browsing the Cabelas catalogue, and I would LOVE to have one of these black powder pistols. They look like they would be a load of fun, and a nice addition to my collection. I'm just not sure if they need an FFL transfer? The website states that Illinois and Michigan need to go through the FFL center, but does that mean that all other places can ship it right to your door without FFL? This is the one I was looking at, it's looks like a nice piece of stainless.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...712&hasJS=true

EDIT: The final price would be around $400 right to my door. I think that's great for a cool stainless BP pistol. Does anyone have any experience firing these?
Old May 14, 2009, 05:16 PM   #32
CaptainCrossman

Cabela's requirements for BP CB to Michigan- ain't exactly easy cut and dry, now is it

http://cabelas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

Michigan firearm purchase from Cabela's
Question

How may a resident of Michigan order a firearm from Cabela's?
Answer

Cartridge Rifle or Pistol: Follow the standard instructions for ordering cartridge firearms from Cabela’s.

Click here for Cartridge Firearm ordering instructions.

Air Pistol (two forms are needed): Customer must complete and supply 2 of the following 3 possible forms:

- Must supply Cabela’s with a completed Trigger Lock Statement Form (TLS)

- Must supply Cabela’s with either an Application and License to Purchase a Pistol form (MUST be obtained from their local police department) OR if customer already possess a valid Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) license, then all they fill out is the four part Pistol Sales Record form and send that in with the Trigger Lock Statement (described above)

- Application and License to Purchase a Piston form – must be obtained from your local police department.

Click here for Trigger Lock statement, Pistol Sales Record form and instructions how to complete.

Pellet Rifle (two forms needed): Customer will need to supply Cabela’s with 2 forms, a Verification Of Information form (VOI) and a Trigger Lock Statement form (TLS).

Click Here for Verification Of Information form, Trigger Lock Statement and instructions how to complete.

Paint Ball Marker (one form needed): Customer must supply Cabela’s with a Verification Of Information form (VOI).

Click here for a Verification Of Information form and instructions how to complete.

Muzzle loading Rifle/Black Powder Pistol (one form needed): Customer must supply Cabela’s with a Verification Of Information form (VOI).

Click Here for Verification Of Information form and instructions how to complete.

for cripes sake, you need a VOI form for a BB gun, airgun, and paint ball gun in Michigan- and 2 forms just to buy a BB gun there, with a trigger lock statement- for a friggin' BB gun we can buy at Walmart here, and walk out with
Old May 14, 2009, 05:17 PM   #33
CaptainCrossman

so after clicking on 3 pages to buy a BP gun from Cabela's shipped to Michigan, this form comes up finally

yeh, I'll be shipping a BP pistol there...NOT !!

http://information.cabelas.com/custo..._blkpwdmi.html

Cabela's, Inc.
CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Michigan Resident Instructions for ordering Black Powder Rifles and Revolvers:

A Verification of Information form (VOI) must be completed and returned to Cabela's CR Gun Department, before an order can be processed.* VOI forms can be submitted to the Cabela's Customer Relations (CR) Gun Dept by Mail, Fax, or Email.

The Verification of Information (VOI) form must be notarized and verifies the customer's age and Identity. The notarized Verification of Information Form is placed on file for future orders, and needs to be sent one time only. VOI forms may be returned to:

Cabela's, Inc.
ATTN CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Fax: 1-888-252-3989
Email: [email protected]

Please include your customer number in the provided blank:
Old May 14, 2009, 05:19 PM   #34
CaptainCrossman

Michigan trigger lock statement- just for a BB gun

yeh, this makes sense

I'd wager Cabela's ain't sellin' to many BB guns to Michigan by mail order

http://information.cabelas.com/custo...rpistolmi.html

Cabela's, Inc.
ATTN CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Michigan Resident Instructions for ordering Air Pistol:

An Application and License to Purchase a Pistol form must be obtained from your local police station. Please complete both sides, front and back and have it notarized. Please make sure the notary stamp or seal is clearly printed on the form. The Application and License to Purchse a Pistol form must be filled out in the name of the air pistol recipient.

In lieu of the Application and License to Purchase a Pistol form, CCW holders may complete the included, Pistol Sales Record (all four sections) and return.

Additionally, a Trigger Lock Statement (TLS) must be completed and returned to Cabela's CR Gun Department, before an order can be processed. One Trigger Lock Statement is required per order, not per gun.

We will delay processing on your order for a maximum of four weeks from the date of you receiving this information while we wait for your response*. If a response is not received within that time frame the order will be cancelled.

All order forms can only be mailed back with original ink signatures to the Cabela's Customer Relations (CR) Gun Department.

Cabela's, Inc.
ATTN CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160
Old May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #35
CaptainCrossman

don't forget this one- that dreaded deadly paint ball gun- Michigan requires this form, for a paint ball marker, to buy a paint ball gun from Cabela's

nice...

imagine what Michigan police would do to you, if you just sent a Walker pistol into Michigan with no paperwork- they'd lock you up in the slammer, and throw away the key

http://information.cabelas.com/custo...2_pntball.html

Cabela's, Inc.
ATTN CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Michigan Resident Instructions for ordering Paintball Markers:

A Verification of Information form (VOI) must be completed and returned to Cabela's CR Gun Department, before an order can be processed.* VOI forms can be submitted to the Cabela's Customer Relations (CR) Gun Dept by Mail, Fax, or Email.

The Verification of Information (VOI) form must be notarized and verifies the customer's age and Identity. The notarized Verification of Information Form is placed on file for future orders, and needs to be sent one time only. VOI forms may be returned to:

Cabela's, Inc.
ATTN CR Gun Department
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

Fax: 1-888-252-3989
Email: [email protected]

Please include your customer number in the provided blank:
Old May 14, 2009, 05:29 PM   #36
whosyrdaddy

Noise deleted
Old May 14, 2009, 06:25 PM   #37
joelberg

I don't know about Michigan, but there is absolutely NO LAW preventing direct to your door shipping of BP pistols in CA (Surprisingly).
Old May 14, 2009, 06:33 PM   #38
Fingers McGee

Now, what did I do with that ignore button?????????
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 15, 2009, 06:28 AM   #39
sharps387

Shipping to CA

I would like to add that when shipping via UPS you must use their computer to fill out the shipping ticket and on this ticket it asks - what you are shipping - which in reality is none of their business. Anyway, when you enter black powder/antique etc. they will tell you it must go to an ffl, which it DOES NOT. They just don't know the laws. The Post office is different, they just want to know if it is hazardous, fragile etc. - tell them no and ship. I have been through this hundreds of times. Shipping overseas is different. Now as to N.Y. I believe just the city has a rule against shipping black powder rifearms. Same for N..J. - But then again I think they are foreign countries with their laws anyway. I pitty the people that live there. Just one last word. State/City/County laws outrank federal laws when it comes to firearms. Hope that clears things up.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:44 AM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

Best thing to do is to check the jurisdiction of the state and then city that one intends to ship to. For instance, the California Department of Justice has a website with all their gun laws posted. I'm sure other states do the same.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #41
arcticap

Quote:
I believe CT and NY have restrictions on blackpowder guns.
CT doesn't.