The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 16, 2014, 08:48 AM   #1
steve4102

Heller III

Just saw this over at THR. Anyone here know more about this case known as Heller III?

The article is from Ammoland, I have not seen or heard of this "Heller III" any place else. Is it even real?

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/09/gun-...#axzz3DS6XM5On
Old September 16, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

This doesn't make much sense. If I'm reading correctly, they're appealing the decision the District Court handed down last may in Heller v. DC.

There are several problems. First off, they're appealing to the same body that made the decision in question.

Second, they're claiming that registration violates the Supreme Court's decision in Heller. In fact, Heller was about whether or not the District had to allow Mr. Heller to register a handgun.

Third, they're claiming that intermediate scrutiny violates the Supreme Court's instructions. This is false--they simply ruled out rational basis.

So, yeah. I have no idea what's going on in Larry Pratt's office.
Old September 16, 2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

I didn't see anything doing a quick search of SCOTUSblog. The case number, 14-7071, did not show up on a docket search. I did find this, Appellants' Brief, with Google. It looks like the Appellants' Brief was filed on 2 September.

The article linked to reads like a GOA press release. It calls the GOA amicus brief "vital", but an amicus brief is really only "vital" if the Court thinks it is.

In any case, the GOA amicus brief may be read here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; September 16, 2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add link to SCOTUSblog
Old September 16, 2014, 05:51 PM   #4
KyJim

CRPA, the Pink Pistols, Second Amendment Sisters and others have also filed an amicus brief. I downloaded a copy, reformatted it a bit, and deleted the table of contents and table of authorities. So it's not pretty but there for anybody who wants to read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Heller III - Amicus - CRPA.pdf (481.8 KB, 14 views)
Old September 17, 2014, 01:45 AM   #5
krucam

Attached is Plaintiff/Appellant Opening Brief in Heller II (III).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HellerII_Appellant-Brief.pdf (375.0 KB, 42 views)